• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eunuch-cycling

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I spent just over an hour on the spinning bike tonight at the gym which is the longest I've been on a bike for in a while but I am trying to build up my fitness to get out on the road.

I spent most of that hour in the saddle only really standing to give my bum a break but I realised after about 40 mins that Snoopy and my Charlie Browns had fallen asleep which almost made me fall off the bike when I realised!

After a few minutes of standing I regained 'full mobility' but just wanted to check with the more 'experienced' if my position on the bike might need looking at or whether its normal, unavoidable... beneficial almost (I'm joking with the last one!)

Cracking way to get properly introduced to the forum....

:D

sleeping-snoopy%5B1%5D_medium.jpeg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Spin class?? Hand in your "Man Card"!

Seriously, saddle shape is a highly personal thing. What is uber comfortable for one person will result in numbness in many different places. So apart from changing the saddle then doing what you described, ie: getting out of the saddle regularly, should help you situation. That and getting out of those "spin classes". ;)

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
LOL Thanks!

It wasn't actually a class just a bike in the gym with a resistance wheel rather than a 'conventional' exercise bike.

I've been desperate to get back out on the road and have been purchasing a plethora of parts over the last few months and the bike is going in to the LBS on monday for a full strip down and service.... then I will finally be free again!

As long as my saddle problem doesn't persist hopefully I will keep hold of my 'Man Card'!

:p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I agree with what everyone else is saying about saddles contributing to your numbness. Also, riding on a trainer is very different to riding outside. Whether you notice it or not, you are always up and out of your saddle when riding outside (stop sign, slowing down, climbing, sprinting, looking at something, etc). However, there is none of this variety on an indoor trainer. There is nothing to look at except straight ahead (unless of course there is someone distracting in the gym :D) and there are no situations where you get your bum out of the saddle other than consciously knowing you need a break.

TRENDING THREADS