• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Euro road championships

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Gigs_98 said:
El Pistolero said:
3 pages worth of discussion, that means that Dwars door Vlaanderen is 3 times as prestigious as this race.
Pfff, the only parameter which shows which shows how prestigious this race is, are google search results :p

European Championships: 43,400,000 results.
Dwars door Vlaanderen: 343,000 results.

It's a non-contest.
:lol:

I really like the idea of a European Championship. If we have nationals and a WC, why shouldn't there be a continental champion as well. Whats important though is that I think the course of this race should be completely different than the one of WC, because now for the 2nd year in a row the european champion could very well also become the world champion (although I doubt Kristoff will be good enough to win against a stronger competition). And generally the courses should become better because you don't make a race prestigious by making it a race which will most likely be boring and end in a bunch sprint. Is it already confirmed where the next EC will take place?

el chava said:
Whatever. Who cares about this race anyways. It didn't help they raced in the absolutely most drab part of Denmark, if not Europe.

At least the OP made this thread a bit exciting to begin with.
Yes, it would have been cool to have a more hilly classics route around Vejle, but at the same time I think it was some surprisingly exciting road races, both junior, U23 and, to a smaller extent, the elite ones. Attacks that succeeded from far out, crashes in the rain and echelon conditions were all exciting elements.

I know it's a different discussion, but regarding prestige, the EC does hold great value in the U23 and Junior ranks, where there is a greater history and where the level of competition is at least comparable to the World Championships. It's only the elite races that lacks history and prestige compared to the World Championships, but hopefully the EC will gain prestige over the years.

Dreadful race. As much as I'd like Denmark to host Tour de France, they have made miserable courses for the WCs and the ECs respectively which haven't been worth watching honestly. They got to step up their game, we don't have great roads, but at least use what we have instead of basically a 240 km crit. One of the least inspiring courses I have ever seen.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Dreadful race. As much as I'd like Denmark to host Tour de France, they have made miserable courses for the WCs and the ECs respectively which haven't been worth watching honestly. They got to step up their game, we don't have great roads, but at least use what we have instead of basically a 240 km crit. One of the least inspiring courses I have ever seen.

It should just not be located in Herning but they are probably the only city willing to put down the money. If it had just been in Vejle, it would have been good racing as it is in PostNord Danmark Rundt each year.

The designated Tour stages look to be as poor as this course unfortunately.

Thats the problem, only very small parts of the country offers good opportunities for decent racing at this level of competition, but today was still an all time low in terms of the route. The Denmark I know isn't that uninspiring, I guess Herning just sucks.

Imagine a few Tour stages in Denmark, *** weather, wind and punctures everywhere. Will take the life out of at least a couple of GC-riders.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Frankschleck said:
what a lead out vivaani got though
Cimolai, Ferrari, Guarnieri and Sabatini + guys like Puccio and Ballerini, if you just look at the raw talent and power involved that's probably the best sprint train in the world and Viviani still found a way to loose...

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Thats the problem, only very small parts of the country offers good opportunities for decent racing at this level of competition, but today was still an all time low in terms of the route. The Denmark I know isn't that uninspiring, I guess Herning just sucks.

Imagine a few Tour stages in Denmark, **** weather, wind and punctures everywhere. Will take the life out of at least a couple of GC-riders.

It's amazing how many punctures we have when it rains. It was interesting to hear the commentators today explain that it's apparently only in Denmark we have this type of roads with flints that turn sharp when it rains.

And if they end up having the Tour here, that might be a problem (it wasn't in the Giro, though). But the stages are going to be boring, because the only hilly city they intend to use is Vejle - but as a starting city that will not help much.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Although Sagan was the deserved winner last year, I'm glad that the jersey will be visible in the peloton for the coming year (given that Kristoff won't win the WC). It'll give the EC more publicity and that could be better the sport.

tobydawq said:
It's amazing how many punctures we have when it rains. It was interesting to hear the commentators today explain that it's apparently only in Denmark we have this type of roads with flints that turn sharp when it rains.

Weird. I've heard commentators from all over say that, about asphalt in general. Just a week ago at the RideLondon Women's Criterium Boardman was saying it about all asphalt in general.

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
wouterkaas said:
Although Sagan was the deserved winner last year, I'm glad that the jersey will be visible in the peloton for the coming year (given that Kristoff won't win the WC). It'll give the EC more publicity and that could be better the sport.
I understand your point, but that EC jersey is beyond bad, looks like an Estonian NC gone completely wrong.

GuyIncognito said:
tobydawq said:

Weird. I've heard commentators from all over say that, about asphalt in general. Just a week ago at the RideLondon Women's Criterium Boardman was saying it about all asphalt in general.

Chris Anker Sørensen said that when he was training in Italy, he didn't really need to bring a spare tube (I'm not certain that this is the correct term in English) because he just never punctured there, whereas in Denmark punctures are left, right and centre. He also mentioned that the exception was Bornholm which apparently has a different road type that doesn't provoke punctures to the same extent at that this could be why Magnus Cort (who is from there) tends to forget to bring spare tubes when he is out training :)

I don't know if it's true, though, but it certainly did seem like the puncture rate was exceptionally high today. Personally, I don't puncture very often, but I don't really ride when it rains either...