• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European Cities...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

giantmonster said:
I hope you dont miss out venice and amsterdam! The best two places in europe... Of course in UK there are some cities which you could visit too.. Like brighton, bournemouth,norwhich and many other towns. You will love them!

i live in britain, and erm.. i can think of better places than brighton, and bournemouth.. as for norwich.. i find the whole of norfolk a very pointless county.. completely flat, and doesnt lead anywhere..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, if I had a couple of days to get from Paris to Amsterdam I think I'd re-read the beer thread and then spend them in Belgium. Buffalo's photos of Gent looked pretty darn good and it's about halfway (not sure if it's on the train line). Happy trails.

A

Anonymous

i think the aachen or cologne option has won..

easy to get to from paris,

easy access to amsterdam to get a ferry to newcastle for the wedding we have to go to (thanks for that dave, inspired idea, dont know why we didnt think about it)

and neither of us have ever been to germany.. thanks for you help guys :D

A

Anonymous

LugHugger said:
enjoy, dim. let us have the low down once you're bacK :)

oh we not going till july, but we like to book our hotels and everything in december while its cheap.. its the yearly final stage of the tour/wedding anniversary jaunt..

but after being to paris five times we need to explore more and frankly we found brussels dissapointing...

think we going the german route this time around, then italy next year when we have more money..

holland we will do in a one off trip as we have loads of freinds and family there..

A

Anonymous

looks like aachen..

one of the things tempting us is there is a touring bicycle ride you can do from aachen to Valkenburg and then Maastricht, then returning by bus to aachen..

ive done the mileage on google maps and its about 40k which is great, but anyone got any idea what the terrain is like around there.. im guessing flat as a pancake (the old line of holland being created to make belgium seem interesting springs to mind)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
looks like aachen..

one of the things tempting us is there is a touring bicycle ride you can do from aachen to Valkenburg and then Maastricht, then returning by bus to aachen..

ive done the mileage on google maps and its about 40k which is great, but anyone got any idea what the terrain is like around there.. im guessing flat as a pancake (the old line of holland being created to make belgium seem interesting springs to mind)

It's basically the Amstel Gold Race area, so there could be some hills along the way, depending on your route. Can you plot it on a map? On 40Ks you won't have any trouble though...

dimspace said:
but anyone got any idea what the terrain is like around there.. im guessing flat as a pancake (the old line of holland being created to make belgium seem interesting springs to mind)

wrrrrrrrrooooooooong!

Take a look at the end of Amstel Gold at Valkenberg -- NOT flat! Rolling to hilly.

That is the LImburg province of the Netherlands, or as it also known, The Dutch Alps.

(We need a good laughing smiley here).

Susan

A

Anonymous

the tour guide say valkenberg to maastricht is flat.. its the bit from aachen to valkenberg...

ah well.. (im fine, thinking of the wife) shes got all summer to prepare.. :D

Bala Verde said:
It's basically the Amstel Gold Race area, so there could be some hills along the way, depending on your route. Can you plot it on a map? On 40Ks you won't have any trouble though...

dont know, its an accompanied tour

A

Anonymous

all booked.. :D

paris, fri sat sun
aachen mon tue
amsterdam wednesday
and then overnight ferry to newcastle on thursday and dinner on board for our wedding anniversary..

now we just need a whole host of trains..

dimspace said:
all booked.. :D

paris, fri sat sun
aachen mon tue
amsterdam wednesday
and then overnight ferry to newcastle on thursday and dinner on board for our wedding anniversary..

now we just need a whole host of trains..

Get in touch with Rail Europe online or over the phone in about February or March, they should be able to complete your travel itinerary.

A

Anonymous

yeh, we cant book till march, its a 3 month limit..
we have it it my phone as we do every year, an alarm will go off a week before and on the day.. :D

i think the only one we cant do is from aachen to the next station in holland where we get the amsterdam train cos its a local service.. the rest rail europe are good for :D

dimspace said:
yeh, we cant book till march, its a 3 month limit..
we have it it my phone as we do every year, an alarm will go off a week before and on the day.. :D

i think the only one we cant do is from aachen to the next station in holland where we get the amsterdam train cos its a local service.. the rest rail europe are good for :D

If its a local service it will cost about €10-15 anyway each.

A

Anonymous

Big_Blue_Dave said:
If its a local service it will cost about €10-15 anyway each.

yeh.. all sorted... :D

900e on the euro card for spending money.. even paid for dinner on the ferry (well it is our wedding anniversary)..

can sit back and forget about it all till july.. just my green cavendish flag to get made.. :D

Unless you have your mind set on the extra traveling, two days in Paris would be a major tease from my perspective. Paris is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities in the world, incredibly diverse and just an amazing city. I´d just stay there the whole week, maybe take the metro and spend a day and night at Versailles, but just living in Paris for one week should blow your mind.

I recommend staying in the latin quarter as near the river and notre dame as possible. Visit the markets and picnic in the Jardin du Luxembourg. You won´t want to leave.

A

Anonymous

Tangled Tango said:
Unless you have your mind set on the extra traveling, two days in Paris would be a major tease from my perspective. Paris is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities in the world, incredibly diverse and just an amazing city. I´d just stay there the whole week, maybe take the metro and spend a day and night at Versailles, but just living in Paris for one week should blow your mind.

I recommend staying in the latin quarter as near the river and notre dame as possible. Visit the markets and picnic in the Jardin du Luxembourg. You won´t want to leave.

its ok.. been to paris 5 or 6 times, its like our second home.. ;) weve done the last four tours there, and both of us have been previously as well.. 3 days passing through to see the tour and catch up with a few freinds is enough this time.. we always stay in the same area around gare de l'est near canal st martin, couple of bars there we like and a few people we know in that area.. and its conventient for the eurostar and trains to germany/belgium..

but youre right.. its a very lovely city if you avoid the usual tourist traps.. we seem to spend most of our time in the graveyards there to be honest.. especially cimatiere de chiens near marie clichy.. spend hours there looking at the animal graves and fussing all the stray cats..

the photos from our last three trips there are here

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm in a stirring mood and I mistook your wings quip from other thread. If not for this upcoming trip, I have to say consider Ljubljana sometime. It's like a mini-Prague and the MTBing is amazing. VW? To do it right it's gotta be a Zastava 750!

A

Anonymous

2011 we are doing italy for the giro apparently.. :confused:

anywhere else will have to be 2012 as long as we can work it around the olympic track events..

dimspace said:
its ok.. been to paris 5 or 6 times, its like our second home.. ;) weve done the last four tours there, and both of us have been previously as well.. 3 days passing through to see the tour and catch up with a few freinds is enough this time.. we always stay in the same area around gare de l'est near canal st martin, couple of bars there we like and a few people we know in that area.. and its conventient for the eurostar and trains to germany/belgium..

but youre right.. its a very lovely city if you avoid the usual tourist traps.. we seem to spend most of our time in the graveyards there to be honest.. especially cimatiere de chiens near marie clichy.. spend hours there looking at the animal graves and fussing all the stray cats..

the photos from our last three trips there are here

Great photos and clearly evidence that you know Paris. Have a great trip.