• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My best friend is a UCI race announcer, which includes the TDF. He's currently the start line announcer at the Dauphine.

He's fluent in French (Parisian accent) and English (American accent). I hope he gets a shot to do PBP for Eurosport for cycling. (He used to work theer for nearly 20 years after all)

He's done TV and radio for over 150 sports including the Olympics and just about everything else. Most of his work is in French, but as mentioned he's also well versed in English.
Is that Seb Piquet?

I agree that Kirby is terrible but if you really want to hear lots of meandering nonsense you should listen to Matt Rendell call a race sometime. yesterday during Piemonte he was going on and on about some obscure thing that happened in 2016 or something while the finale was unfolding. Steve Cummings, who was commentating on I think his third race ever, clearly kept getting annoyed with him and had to keep interrupting to actually talk about the race that was occurring on the screen.
I remember Matt Rendell doing the live commentary for La Vuelta on ITV a few years ago. It was pretty boring and very uninteresting. From then on ITV never had it live again and went with Rendell and Brian Smith for a couple of years before moving to the current duo of Boulting and Millar.

Is that Seb Piquet?

I remember Matt Rendell doing the live commentary for La Vuelta on ITV a few years ago. It was pretty boring and very uninteresting. From then on ITV never had it live again and went with Rendell and Brian Smith for a couple of years before moving to the current duo of Boulting and Millar.
He has a great knowledge of the sport to be fair to him, but that man is not cut out to commentate.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
An interview with your favorite guy, Carlton Kirby

Cyclist Magazine Podcast Episode 8 - In conversation with Carlton Kirby
"The man, the myth, the chosen son. For the latest instalment in the Cyclist Magazine Podcast, Cyclist spoke to the voice that has narrated many of the biggest moments in professional cycling over the past decade, Eurosport's Carlton Kirby.

Kirby is a man who, quite frankly, divides opinion like no other cycling commentator. Like marmite, some love him and some absolutely hate him.

We caught up with Kirby to discuss almost everything from his humble beginnings alongside football's Jeff Stelling, dealing with online abuse and his iconic commentary partnership with the King, Sean Kelly.

It's a long one so sit back, pour yourself a glass of Côtes du Rhône and enjoy, we think this is a cracker!"

cyclistmagazinepodcastcover2.jpg

Last edited:

"The man, the myth, the chosen son. For the latest instalment in the Cyclist Magazine Podcast, Cyclist spoke to the voice that has narrated many of the biggest moments in professional cycling over the past decade, Eurosport's Carlton Kirby.

Kirby is a man who, quite frankly, divides opinion like no other cycling commentator. Like marmite, some love him and some absolutely hate him.

We caught up with Kirby to discuss almost everything from his humble beginnings alongside football's Jeff Stelling, dealing with online abuse and his iconic commentary partnership with the King, Sean Kelly.

It's a long one so sit back, pour yourself a glass of Côtes du Rhône and enjoy, we think this is a cracker!"

Not sure I want to listen to that... anything I need to know... about online abuse or something?

To be fair and honest to Carlton, i've found his style and humour to grow upon me over the years. I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Somehow, he's beginning to remind me of a cycling's version of Murray Walker. Then again, some people might be offended just by the comparison... :sweatsmile:

cyclistmagazinepodcastcover2.jpg
Thanks for posting this interview. Carlton is a quirky guy; some people obviously hate his quirkiness, but I find it endearing. The interview confirms a lot of things I've said here over the years. Despite what some people say, he is passionate about the sport. He is also far more knowlegeable than what some people think. The guy is a natural born story-teller, which is an amazing trait when commenting on a race that last 6 hours. He talks about the burden of live commentary and has two interesting suggestions for making it easier to identify a rider. His candour is refreshing, and that is something that comes through loud and clear when he's doing race commentary. Seriously, if anyone wants to hear truly terrible commentary, listen to grand tour broadcasts produced by American networks. They hire guys who are familiar with the sport but are as interesting as dry toast.

Last edited:
To be fair and honest to Carlton, i've found his style and humour to grow upon me over the years. I totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Somehow, he's beginning to remind me of a cycling's version of Murray Walker. Then again, some people might be offended just by the comparison... :sweatsmile:
He has always reminded me of Walker and I hated Walker and find him even worse than Kirby

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Once Martinez took the bonification for second, Pinot needed to finish within 6 seconds. Kirby was still trying to suggest that it was in doubt when Pinot crossed the line 35 seconds later.

I appreciate efforts to generate excitement in the finale, but I would appreciate a modicum of mathematical competence, and understanding of the race situation, more.

Apparently, basic arithmetics are very hard when commenting a bike race. Rolf Sørensen is usually passable in that department but todat it took a very long time for him to figure out that it was o ly six seconds even if that was really the only important thing to check in the last 10 kms. And his two co-commentators couldn't figure it out, either.

I am a bit of a math buff myself but I would say that it shouldn't be so hard...

• Haha
I enjoy watching old clips from Eurosport a lot - from back when David Duffield was in charge. For me, his commentary on the finale of the '92 Milan - San Remo is up there with the very best of sports commentary. His reaction to the crowd being told that Kelly's caught up with Argentin is pure gold!

Being a Dane, i'm also sad that i can no longer fall asleep on the boring transition stages (tbf they're a dying breed as well) to the soothing voice of Jørgen Leth, talking us through every chateau and cheese made on our voyage through the french countryside

I enjoy watching old clips from Eurosport a lot - from back when David Duffield was in charge. For me, his commentary on the finale of the '92 Milan - San Remo is up there with the very best of sports commentary. His reaction to the crowd being told that Kelly's caught up with Argentin is pure gold!

Being a Dane, i'm also sad that i can no longer fall asleep on the boring transition stages (tbf they're a dying breed as well) to the soothing voice of Jørgen Leth, talking us through every chateau and cheese made on our voyage through the french countryside
Transitional stages are seriously underrated. Racing-wise they're terrible but they're incredibly calming. For me they're part of what makes the Tour the Tour. Not to sound like a raging psychopath, but I happily sit down to watch the full broadcast of Stephane Rossetto plodding along hopelessly for five hours through the beautiful French countryside. It's like a travel show, a history tour, and a cycling podcast all in one.

Dunno why it keeps quoting that Alphabet post. I mean, it's not bad but it's also not intentional that it keeps on popping up
Because at some stage you put it in as your signature. To change it, click on either your name at the top-right corner or settings in the left hand menu, and then 'Signature' which is the fifth item under 'Settings'. You can edit or delete the signature there.

I seriously love Brian Smith's accent. Not only does it frequently sound like he's talking about "raiders", just a few minutes ago it sounded like he was saying that a raider rider (didn't quite hear who, probably Sam Bennett) "doesn't like to be bitten."
Though... I suppose that is technically true, I could imagine most riders would not like be bitten.

• Haha
I seriously love Brian Smith's accent. Not only does it frequently sound like he's talking about "raiders", just a few minutes ago it sounded like he was saying that a raider rider (didn't quite hear who, probably Sam Bennett) "doesn't like to be bitten."
Though... I suppose that is technically true, I could imagine most riders would not like be bitten.

I hate it.

I do like Brian Smiths nicely, rounded Scottish accent - by all means it's not hardcore Glaswegian, though that'd be a great laugh all by its own!

In terms of both quality and entertainment, i feel like the dutch-speakers are blessed with having Michel Wuyts and Jose de Cauwer on Sporza. Best blend of knowledge, enthusiasm and just the right amount of madness.

TRENDING THREADS