Eurosport commentary

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Well i saw doyle commentating on domestic racing last year on es.
You may be right, I don't recall him on ES last year personally though. But there was the Premier Calendar (McCrossan) and Milk Race (Kirby) though I don't remember who did the co-comms. Thought it was Brian Smith for the latter.
 
argyllflyer said:
You may be right, I don't recall him on ES last year personally though. But there was the Premier Calendar (McCrossan) and Milk Race (Kirby) though I don't remember who did the co-comms. Thought it was Brian Smith for the latter.
Doyle was for the milk race, that's it. I remember it now, being outraged, which I wouldn't be for Smith (not because he isn't a jerk that defended Lance, he did, but because i'm more used to him)
 
The Hitch said:
More than that. I thought about starting a thread about dumb things Kirby said but got too lazy. It probably would have been the longest thread ever.

Candidates include
saying it was Richezze when Scarponi attacked on Naranco (a ****ing climb),
saying Samuel Dumoilin was attacking when Betancur attacked on a mountain,
saying (throughout August and September) that "silly" accusations against Froome stopped after the Lalpe d huez stage because the French finally won a stage and let their jealousy go:cool:
Saying Brailsford "proved 100%" (yes he used those words) Froome was clean by showing that French guy the data, and that it made doubters look silly.

Thats just from this season. Go back a year or 2 and you have him asking Backsted if Joaquim Rodriguez won the Tour of Flanders.
Its absolutely unfathomable how ES can keep this guy. As their oficial cyclinmg commentator for the Tour de France. There has never ever been anyone less qualified to do their job in the history of mankind. A 2 year old would look more in place as the President of a Bank than Kirby does in a cycling commentator.
My favorite is still the spanish climber Visconti who won Tour of Turkey
 
Poursuivant said:
Has Harmon gone for good?
Just reading between the lines it would appear there is no immediate future return. Bear in mind that he reneged on his commitments to them in 2013. He has said on Twitter this week:

"Thanks for all the questions about Eurosport. I'm a freelancer, I'm employed by clients when they wish I'm not on contract with them"

which was followed up yesterday by:

"I need to make a new show reel. What do you think have been my best commentary moments over the years?"

and:

"Thanks for all the commentary suggestions...50% not possibly conducive to getting work! #funnynotalwaysemployable"

In the interview with Velo Veritas he said:

""I’ve been enjoying a wee bit of time off and I’m looking forward to working at the Tour of Qatar, if Eurosport speak to me then that’ll be nice.

"I’ve been doing a lot of work with Yorkshire on the Tour Grand Depart and that’s taken up a lot of time over the last two years."

Putting all that has been said together, he is not working with Eurosport anytime soon. He also admitted in the VV interview to having not watched much cycling last season as he was basically sick of the sport, but that doing the Rotterdam Six has rekindled a bit of the love he had.

I can't see Eurosport not having booked their commentators at this stage -they're all freelancers and the likes of Rob Hatch already knows what he will be doing this year. While DH might be wanting the phone to ring again, he may have missed the boat for 2014.
 
Pricey_sky said:
Eurosport should at least get him back for the GT's. I would much prefer 9 weeks of Harmon than some of the others!
Well Carlton can't do the Giro anyway as he will be doing it for the international feed. So Giro will need any of Harmon, Hatch or Quigley depending on other commitments.
 
argyllflyer said:
Just reading between the lines it would appear there is no immediate future return. Bear in mind that he reneged on his commitments to them in 2013. He has said on Twitter this week:

"Thanks for all the questions about Eurosport. I'm a freelancer, I'm employed by clients when they wish I'm not on contract with them"

which was followed up yesterday by:

"I need to make a new show reel. What do you think have been my best commentary moments over the years?"

and:

"Thanks for all the commentary suggestions...50% not possibly conducive to getting work! #funnynotalwaysemployable"

In the interview with Velo Veritas he said:

""I’ve been enjoying a wee bit of time off and I’m looking forward to working at the Tour of Qatar, if Eurosport speak to me then that’ll be nice.

"I’ve been doing a lot of work with Yorkshire on the Tour Grand Depart and that’s taken up a lot of time over the last two years."

Putting all that has been said together, he is not working with Eurosport anytime soon. He also admitted in the VV interview to having not watched much cycling last season as he was basically sick of the sport, but that doing the Rotterdam Six has rekindled a bit of the love he had.

I can't see Eurosport not having booked their commentators at this stage -they're all freelancers and the likes of Rob Hatch already knows what he will be doing this year. While DH might be wanting the phone to ring again, he may have missed the boat for 2014.
Thanks for that
 
May 24, 2011
41
0
0
The Hitch said:
More than that. I thought about starting a thread about dumb things Kirby said but got too lazy. It probably would have been the longest thread ever.

Candidates include
saying it was Richezze when Scarponi attacked on Naranco (a ****ing climb),
saying Samuel Dumoilin was attacking when Betancur attacked on a mountain,
saying (throughout August and September) that "silly" accusations against Froome stopped after the Lalpe d huez stage because the French finally won a stage and let their jealousy go:cool:
Saying Brailsford "proved 100%" (yes he used those words) Froome was clean by showing that French guy the data, and that it made doubters look silly.

Thats just from this season. Go back a year or 2 and you have him asking Backsted if Joaquim Rodriguez won the Tour of Flanders.
Its absolutely unfathomable how ES can keep this guy. As their oficial cyclinmg commentator for the Tour de France. There has never ever been anyone less qualified to do their job in the history of mankind. A 2 year old would look more in place as the President of a Bank than Kirby does in a cycling commentator.
Is this supposed to be ironic? The odd mistake Carlton makes in 4-7 otherwise admirable hours of daily commentary are as nothing compared to the reams of hyperbolic crappola some users take the time to craft on this message board, of which your post is a most conspicuous example.

He's a good guy is Carlton, works well with the ex-pros he sits next to, unfortunate for him his job gives him the sort of public profile that attracts the opprobrium of guys-who-are-big-on-the-internet, you know - impotent dweebs.
Water off a duck's back is what it ought to be for him.
 
lol.

Another funny moment comes back to me.

When he gave a lecture about how great it was to see Cunego performing poorly post suspension and this shows how riders coming back from doping bans :D

Less funny was the despicable behaviour this bully exhibited to those who doubted his hero Lance Armstrong back during the comback:mad:
 

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
938
0
0
The Tibetan Hat said:
Is this supposed to be ironic? The odd mistake Carlton makes in 4-7 otherwise admirable hours of daily commentary are as nothing compared to the reams of hyperbolic crappola some users take the time to craft on this message board, of which your post is a most conspicuous example.

He's a good guy is Carlton, works well with the ex-pros he sits next to, unfortunate for him his job gives him the sort of public profile that attracts the opprobrium of guys-who-are-big-on-the-internet, you know - impotent dweebs.
Water off a duck's back is what it ought to be for him.
Thanks for your insight mr. Kirby
 
I think Brian Smith is good. Quigley never shuts up while Kirby keeps thinking he just said something funny. It is priceless listening to Kirby and Kelly as Kelly not only does not laugh but usually does not even respond. Although I have to say no one calls a finish like Kirby when he gets the riders right of course. I have become used to Kirby just like Liggett, it's easy to tune out when you want to.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Kirby and Lloyd always do the international feed for the RCS races. It will probably be the same for SB, MSR, T-A, Giro, and GdL. We may have Quigley for these as well. Hopefully more of Robert Hatch will be heard.
 
gooner said:
Kirby and Lloyd always do the international feed for the RCS races. It will probably be the same for SB, MSR, T-A, Giro, and GdL. We may have Quigley for these as well. Hopefully more of Robert Hatch will be heard.
Robert Hatch would be nice, just no Quigley. He was so bad last giro, that he make Kirby looks like solid commentator.

I would prefer even Paul and Phil over him.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Looking at Eurosport's schedule, they are still doing that useless coverage of Oman with 30 mins highlights of stage 1 the following day.

The Andalucia prologue is live though.
 
PunchingRouleur said:
Robert Hatch would be nice, just no Quigley. He was so bad last giro, that he make Kirby looks like solid commentator.

I would prefer even Paul and Phil over him.
what was worse about Quigley than Kirby? He was a million times better. He actually knew who some of the cyclists were, wasn't mistaking sprinters for climbers, wasn't patronizing, wasn't vouching for the cleanliness/ dirtyness of riders etc.
 
gooner said:
Looking at Eurosport's schedule, they are still doing that useless coverage of Oman with 30 mins highlights of stage 1 the following day.

The Andalucia prologue is live though.
Do you mean that the race that finishes at (say) 10am UK time will not be shown until the following day?
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
barmaher said:
Do you mean that the race that finishes at (say) 10am UK time will not be shown until the following day?
Yeah, it's the same for stage 2 now I see.

Nothing on their schedule for Algarve for the first 2 stages.
 
Can't believe it. Eurosport will only show Algarve highlights at the end of the day except for the last stage, which its going to be broadcast live.

How disappointing... Complete let down.


However, according to abola there should be a Portuguese sports channel broadcasting all stages live. SportTV, BenficaTV or aBolaTV itself. Whichever it is, it must be watched on mute.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY