• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm ever so sorry to post at midnight just after California but did Carlton Kirby just spend half a stage tipping Julien Alaphellipe for the Tour de France, does this man's delusion know no bounds? He speaks about pointless and partly inaccurate Shite for half the stage and tells us the odds on a very young puncheur who has only proved himself on a 1-6 day basis for the world's biggest bike race welcome to Eurosport! This is actually the last straw for me, I used to defend him that was it for me.

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Choppy Warburton said:
Watching the highlights from yesterday. Hatch unhappy when the cameras went from the action and cut to the girls parading the jerseys at the finish line, he deemed it unnecessary! Well I like it Rob.

I'm a big fan of Rob Hatch's commentary, I think he's the best on tele in terms of cycling (except that guy on ITV with Phil ligget who's name I can never remember) but I can't stand his constant pronunciation of riders' names in their native accents, why can't he just say Brambilla in an English accent? He does it with all European riders, he'd never say Boswell or Talanksy in an American accent so why does he do it with Eropean riders? Other than that he is a good and Knowledgable commentator with good insight and he's far better than Kirby.

Re: Re:

Hgriffiths2606 said:
Choppy Warburton said:
Watching the highlights from yesterday. Hatch unhappy when the cameras went from the action and cut to the girls parading the jerseys at the finish line, he deemed it unnecessary! Well I like it Rob.

I'm a big fan of Rob Hatch's commentary, I think he's the best on tele in terms of cycling (except that guy on ITV with Phil ligget who's name I can never remember) but I can't stand his constant pronunciation of riders' names in their native accents, why can't he just say Brambilla in an English accent? He does it with all European riders, he'd never say Boswell or Talanksy in an American accent so why does he do it with Eropean riders? Other than that he is a good and Knowledgable commentator with good insight and he's far better than Kirby.

I agree that Hatch is good, and I'm not really bothered by his pronounciation of names. Could be because I grew up with a commentator of cross country skiing on Norwegian TV who would take a deep breath before pronouncing Italian names in all their glory, outdoing Hatch by a mile. He was especially fond of Giorgio Di Centa.

Another good thing about Hatch is that Sean Kelly seem to respect him and like him, so he's quite talkative and funny while co-commentating. When paired with Kirby, he's less enthusiastic.

May 16, 2016
Visit site

JEAN LUC said:
Armchair cyclist said:
RedheadDane said:
Found a little problem with (one of) the Danish guys:
Constantly referring to the Henaos as 'brothers'.
Sure, I know it's nothing major, he's at least able to identify them correctly, but it's just a quick googling to find out that they aren't actually brothers. :rolleyes:

Cycling News, who do not have the excuse of live improvisation, has frequently reported the exploits of the "Jense Van Rensburg brothers".

Has anyone also noticed he is obliged to use the word "exponentially" and the phrase "I'll be bound" in every broadcast. So full of himself it is nauseating. Smith and Harmon are far better
100% agree Kirby is the worst commentator everything he says is stupid and unnecessarily sarcastic

Hgriffiths2606 said:
Choppy Warburton said:

Phew - I thought it was just me. I completely agree with you on Hatch as he generally does a good job , but his garbled pronunciation of non-English names does start to grate after a couple of hours. I often have no idea who he's referring to until Kelly reiterates the name in English. But as you say, despite this idiosyncrasy, he's a vast improvement on Kirby.

PlanZ said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
Choppy Warburton said:

Phew - I thought it was just me. I completely agree with you on Hatch as he generally does a good job , but his garbled pronunciation of non-English names does start to grate after a couple of hours. I often have no idea who he's referring to until Kelly reiterates the name in English. But as you say, despite this idiosyncrasy, he's a vast improvement on Kirby.

When Sean "Ulrika Greenedge" Kelly is the translator, you know the message has been misdelivered!

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm not a Rob Hatch fan. I guess you have to be a millennial to appreciate his marxist view of the world.
His whining about the director showing the girls yesterday was cringeworthy.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Choppy Warburton said:

I liked it too, but his whingeing made me think less of him. No surprise he also works for the BBC.

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Lupi33x said:
I'm not a Rob Hatch fan. I guess you have to be a millennial to appreciate his marxist view of the world.
I think he was right to call out the innate sexism in sport that we have all come to accept, don't think Hatch is a Marxist

I am not a millennial, and I appreciate pretty girls as much as the next man.

That said, I agree with Rob that it is completely unnecessary and very sexist to have girls in tight cycling tops paraded on TV during the Giro. Fair play to him.

I agree that he is a good commentator. Love the rapport with Kelly.

Frankly I find it horribly sexist as well. I'm glad Rob spoke up. Looks like a meat market, they don't belong there. If they're going to do that, they should also have some hot guys wearing jerseys walking along with the women! (just kidding, but that would at least cater to all genders, not that I think it should happen at all).

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Being brought up in an English speaking country where the media showed no effort to correctly pronounce foreign names, hearing Hatch is a breath of fresh air.

but you can pronounce correctly without adopting a stupid accent, it annoys me when he Interupts a normal Yorkshire accent with some stupid Italian accent, Daniel Friebe does it on the cycling podcast as well it's incredibly stupid

Hgriffiths2606 said:
yaco said:
Being brought up in an English speaking country where the media showed no effort to correctly pronounce foreign names, hearing Hatch is a breath of fresh air.

but you can pronounce correctly without adopting a stupid accent, it annoys me when he Interupts a normal Yorkshire accent with some stupid Italian accent, Daniel Friebe does it on the cycling podcast as well it's incredibly stupid

He's from Lancashire, dude. Big mistake.

Hgriffiths2606 said:
yaco said:

You adopt the accent to correctly pronounce a foreign name.

TMP402 said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
yaco said:

He's from Lancashire, dude. Big mistake.

You must have watched little of SBS - Les Murray is the benchmark in correct pronunciations of names.

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

Hgriffiths2606 said:
Choppy Warburton said:

Could be because American accented English is everywhere so Italian is more colorful and interesting. I find it funny to be honest :D

May 16, 2016
Visit site

yaco said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
yaco said:

You adopt the accent to correctly pronounce a foreign name.

Actually you don't, my father is a linguist and one of the biggest rules is that you remain consistent with your accent, doing what Hatch does is a no no

Hgriffiths2606 said:
Actually you don't, my father is a linguist and one of the biggest rules is that you remain consistent with your accent, doing what Hatch does is a no no

I think I understand what you mean: he should keep the english pronunciation(and accent) of foreign words because his entire job consist in speaking english to english-speaking people. Those perfectly pronounced italian words feel out of place. People may not understand because they associate sound-syllable differently
Pronouncing Cipollini in italian yelds a weird english sounding word: Ceepo-leenee :D
While the standard english pronunciation [Cip-lini]? allow english people to at least grossly understand how the word is written

(?)

May 16, 2016
Visit site

46&twoWheels said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:

I think I understand what you mean: he should keep the english pronunciation(and accent) of foreign words because his entire job consist in speaking english to english-speaking people. Those perfectly pronounced italian words feel out of place. People may not understand because they associate sound-syllable differently
Pronouncing Cipollini in italian yelds a weird english sounding word: Ceepo-leenee :D
While the standard english pronunciation [Cip-lini]? allow english people to at least grossly understand how the word is written

(?)

Exactly right

Re:

Lupi33x said:

Not as cringe-worthy as watching the cringe-worthy parade.
But then again, different strokes for different folks.
That said, women/and or men who participate in award ceremony's are doing so on their own free will (hopefully; otherwise it would make it even more cringe-worthy.)