• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 202 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In more important news Matt Keenan who heads up the commentary team for the ASO English world feed for many of the their races including the Vuelta and the TDF will only be on the ground at the TDF - Apparently for the Vuelta and some other ASO races he will do the commentary from Australia - He'll also commentate the Giro remotely - I am interested on whether Eurosport will have commentators on the ground for the Grand Tours.

ES have only sent people on the ground to a few events anyway, the Tour being one, but not sure they've been in Italy or Spain lately?

I expect that ES will have their commentators on the ground for the three GT's - I know that Ligett will be on the ground at the TDF - I watched the Tour of Antalya today and the two British commentators were at the race.

Host broadcaster pays for English speaking commentary - that's what Liggett and in the case you mention Ned Boulting / David Millar are doing.

ES don't do it usually- a few races excepted as they are not the host broadcaster.

ASO use Liggett, RCS use Boulting for theirs. I don't know enough about Tour of Antalya to know why Ned is there for it.

I only know of the Tour, Roubaix, Tour de Suisse and Tour of Turkey that ES have sent people to in the last decade. The rest are done from London or wherever the comms are doing it from home these days!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Host broadcaster pays for English speaking commentary - that's what Liggett and in the case you mention Ned Boulting / David Millar are doing.

ES don't do it usually- a few races excepted as they are not the host broadcaster.

ASO use Liggett, RCS use Boulting for theirs. I don't know enough about Tour of Antalya to know why Ned is there for it.

I only know of the Tour, Roubaix, Tour de Suisse and Tour of Turkey that ES have sent people to in the last decade. The rest are done from London or wherever the comms are doing it from home these days!

ASO no longer use Ligett - Matt Keenan has been the lead commentator ( English ) for ASO since 2018 - I still maintain that in these post COVID times, Keenan should not be commentating two GT's from Australia - He has a privleged position that many would love and he should be spending more time in Europe - Even with the last Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics ( even before COVID ) TV channels were only planning to have limited commentators on the ground - It's a worrying trend.

Question: I've noticed on Eurosport/GCN that riders are almost always referred to by first and last name, while in the US, riders are usually referred to only by last name. I was watching cyclocross this morning, and all throughout the race the announcers were referring to: Marianne Vos, Lucinda Brand, and Puck Pieterse . . . every time. In the US they would be introduced that way, but during the race it would be Vos, Brand, and Pieterse. In the NBC coverage of racers, last names are the norm. Am I right about this, or am I out to lunch? if so, is this a UK style, broadly European, or what? Any ideas why?
For those of you who watch US football or the Super Bowl, there is one player that I've noticed all season gets referred to by first and last name almost every time: Cooper Cupp. Almost never Cupp . . . Cooper Cupp.

For those of you who watch US football or the Super Bowl, there is one player that I've noticed all season gets referred to by first and last name almost every time: Cooper Cupp. Almost never Cupp . . . Cooper Cupp.
Yeah it's weird. If the riders are referred to by first and last name that doesn't seem like a problem, it's when only the first name is used. For example i've heard the likes of Eli Iserbyt just called Eli or Zoe Backstedt called Zoe. In Backstedt's case it may be fair as Marty Mcdonald does know her and her father personally, but generally it seems less professional. Whether you go with a more professional stance or not, I was always taught when writing that you should be consistant and use the same format. So i'd see it ok to call the rider first for example John Doe, but maybe then just use Doe for the rest unless it seems better that one needs to clarify who Mr Doe is (especially if there is more than one of the same surname).

Reactions: davidsonduke
Does anyone here use Eurosport Player and would you recommend it? I've noticed they're doing 50% off annual subscriptions currently so £30/year seems decent considering it includes other sports. I usually watch races on my laptop after work so if they upload races right after they finish and they work fine without buffering etc then that would be perfect.

Does anyone here use Eurosport Player and would you recommend it? I've noticed they're doing 50% off annual subscriptions currently so £30/year seems decent considering it includes other sports. I usually watch races on my laptop after work so if they upload races right after they finish and they work fine without buffering etc then that would be perfect.
I've been using it for the past 5-6 years and it's great. The races are available on demand as soon as they finish and lately they even give you the option to watch from the start even if the broadcast has already started.
There's a TV app for Samsung which works just fine. You can also watch different broadcasts on different devices simultaneously (TV, laptop, mobile, etc). And for many events you have commentary in different languages available.

Reactions: Ranagazoo
Race content is near identical to GCN at the same (last I looked) price: GCN has a library of cycling documentaries, EuroSport has lots of other sports, but (like cycling?) rather niche ones on the whole.

GCN+ for cycling obsessives
EuroSport for race fans who might like a bit of something different when there is no racing.

Race content is near identical to GCN at the same (last I looked) price: GCN has a library of cycling documentaries, EuroSport has lots of other sports, but (like cycling?) rather niche ones on the whole.

GCN+ for cycling obsessives
EuroSport for race fans who might like a bit of something different when there is no racing.

I don't think cycling is niche. Not nearly as much as most of the other crap sports they broadcast. Apart of course from the Grand Slams in tennis.

I haven't checked but I thought GCN was quite a lot cheaper, though.

• Wow
I don't think cycling is niche. Not nearly as much as most of the other crap sports they broadcast. Apart of course from the Grand Slams in tennis.

I haven't checked but I thought GCN was quite a lot cheaper, though.

I mean, the ES player is 5 Euro per month here, is GCN really cheaper?
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the ES player, since I do actually watch some of the other sports (there's also a lot I definitely never watch, like snooker and motorcross) and don't have a tv - it's working smoothly, so I hope they continue the service.

TRENDING THREADS