• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Euskaltel-Euskadi 2013 new project

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unkown said:
Thats because the whole team is just a bunch of climbers, they don't have the strength to be at the front so they just sit at the back. I really hope they are more successful in 2013, any chance Anton can challenge Alberto in this years Vuelta? I sure hope so because I am fearing that Contador is going to beat everyone by 5 plus minutes considering Andy still wont be 100%.
It doesn't help that when they have had guys who can TT, they've run into problems.

Beñat Intxausti and Jonathan Castroviejo can both turn in some decent times against the clock, but have been poached by Movistar (to be honest though, I'm not sure Intxausti was right for the home pressure of Euskaltel and Movistar's not exactly 'distant', being based in Navarre); who else has been good against the clock that they've had, other than Samu? I can only really think of David Herrero, who seemingly burnt his bridges with them back in 2006, and hasn't been seen at the pro level since the 2009 Vuelta with Xacobeo, where he finished top 10 in both time trials. He's 32, so it's not like he wouldn't have anything left in the tank either. A strange kind of disappearance, his.
gustienordic said:
Yes, didn't he have some problems with them as well?
There were a few teething issues, but idle speculation is suggesting they're interested in taking him back. I guess time heals all wounds, they need UCI points and Haimar's got some, while at his age he probably won't be subjected to the same pressure as he was five years ago.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
Well, relationship turned a bit sour when Euskaltel didn't extend the contract of his brother Joseba, and Haimar didn't like the pressure of the Basque fans that were solely projected on him after Mayo left in 2007.

And when did Sanchez become the leader? When Zubledia left?

gustienordic said:
And when did Sanchez become the leader? When Zubledia left?

Well, Sanchez was the better cyclist from 2006 onwards, but he's not Basque and while the fans love him for what he does and for how he is, it is a difference. Right now, Igor Anton is by far the favorite rider in the region.

Libertine Seguros said:
Of course, there is one Basque out there that could really make a difference to the squad, but he belongs in another forum.

Who do you mean? Mayo? That would be cool, but is never gonna happen sadly.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If i remember correctly Nieve signed for 2 years at the end of last year after all Movistar drama, so he shouldnt be going anywhere.

Zubeldia can be useful IF hes motivated to ride as a domestique which he didnt really show at .... Hog's various named teams. He showed absolutely nothing until this year when he was given a chance to ride for himself. He can still ride tempo uphill better then any Txurruka, Martinez, Verdugo or Azanza.

Its very unlikely to happen, but i think Flecha would be the best signing not for his cobbles prowess, but for his ability to ride strong on the flat and keep the captain out of crashes.

nesocip said:
If i remember correctly Nieve signed for 2 years at the end of last year after all Movistar drama, so he shouldnt be going anywhere.

Zubeldia can be useful IF hes motivated to ride as a domestique which he didnt really show at .... Hog's various named teams. He showed absolutely nothing until this year when he was given a chance to ride for himself. He can still ride tempo uphill better then any Txurruka, Martinez, Verdugo or Azanza.

Its very unlikely to happen, but i think Flecha would be the best signing not for his cobbles prowess, but for his ability to ride strong on the flat and keep the captain out of crashes.

Zubeldia was quite good in the 2009 Tour as well and came in 16th in the 2011 Tour, not bad for a domestique. But I agree he is very erratic.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
How much support is the team relying on the the Basque government for?

Would be nice if the team could get a couple of roleurs on board just to protect them on the flats.

Caruut said:
How much support is the team relying on the the Basque government for?

Would be nice if the team could get a couple of roleurs on board just to protect them on the flats.

Right now for something like 30% for the Pro Team if I'm not mistaken, but that will change to not critical anymore next year.

Actually Euskaltel wasn't that bad on the flats, Sanchez was always in front in this Tour when it mattered, with a plethora of teammates.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I feel kind of odd about the "No riders not from 'round here" rule. On the one hand, I don't like the idea of discrimination based on birthplace. On the other, I think that the Basque identity of the team gives us one of the most exciting teams around. So many other bland corporate identikit teams could learn form these boys.

Libertine Seguros said:
It doesn't help that when they have had guys who can TT, they've run into problems.

Beñat Intxausti and Jonathan Castroviejo can both turn in some decent times against the clock, but have been poached by Movistar (to be honest though, I'm not sure Intxausti was right for the home pressure of Euskaltel and Movistar's not exactly 'distant', being based in Navarre); who else has been good against the clock that they've had, other than Samu? I can only really think of David Herrero, who seemingly burnt his bridges with them back in 2006, and hasn't been seen at the pro level since the 2009 Vuelta with Xacobeo, where he finished top 10 in both time trials. He's 32, so it's not like he wouldn't have anything left in the tank either. A strange kind of disappearance, his.

Are you forgetting Mikel Astarloza? He is (was?) brilliant against the clock. Assuming this is just an acclimatizing year for him after being out for a while, he could be handy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Is there rumor stating that EE will only go after Spanish riders?

Only 2 non-basques (Sanchez, Cabedo) on the team, but went through the youth system, so if they branch past the Basque-only philosophy, why limit themselves only to a Spanish buying market?

I'm guessing they make another push for Erviti if they are looking for a Basque rider

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Mikel Landa has been extended for two more years allegedly, which is good news.

I think he will make his GT debut at the Vuelta, so one to watch for a stage win.

Good news indeed! Landa & Ion are great climbers for the future.

rewatching the stage i saw Landas name written about 300 times.

He finished a bit down, but it seems the Basque fans know exactly who they will lay their hopes on for the next decade, and if he really does live up to the hype, it can keep Euskaltel going for some time.

The Hitch said:
rewatching the stage i saw Landas name written about 300 times.

He finished a bit down, but it seems the Basque fans know exactly who they will lay their hopes on for the next decade, and if he really does live up to the hype, it can keep Euskaltel going for some time.
I think he'll end up developing the same way as Slagter rather than become a replacement for Samu or Antón.

TRENDING THREADS