• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans leaves Omega Pharma - Lotto

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
Yeah but the team had nothing to do with his results. If he was signed by another team he would have done the same thing or better. It's got nothing to do with the team - as you point out, they didn't have the budget to sign better riders to help him, which refutes your own point.

Your enormous bias is blinding you. Another team would quite simply not sign Evans to be a leader. So he wouldn't do anywhere near as well. And they certainly wouldn't give him the freedom to pick races and trainers as he damn well pleases. He was very lucky to have Lotto do all that for him, as he hadn't shown anything to deserve it.

Sprocket01 said:
What you mean is they TRIED to do their best. Well good for them, but that obviously isn't good enough. They're crap.

By your own very same god awful logic, Evans TRIED to win the Tour. Well good for him, but that obviously isn't enough. He's crap ;)

delgado said:
i have this hunch Evans is going to sign with Lampre. Cunego has waived GC ambitions publicly not too long ago, their support machinery is tried and tested on GTs (as opposed to that of other candidate teams named here), and surely time is slowly running out for Evans, so he'll like to avoid experiments along the lines of the famous Le Groupement fiasco back in the early 90ies.

Makes sense. He also lives in Italy and Lampre have 1.5 million lying around from the contract they'd signed with Di Luca that was made void when he tested positive :)

I don't think it's the most likely option, though. But it is one.
But I don't think Evans would do this before having everything set with a team. I'm pretty sure he's already got an agreement with someone.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Failing to deliver?? He had two very interrupted years at Telekom due to injuries; he was never given a chance in a GT with them other than Vuelta when he got sick. He came into a team of legends and was never really given the chance to succeed.

Lotto got a great GC rider and future GT prospect, who could ride with minimal support from the team; while Lotto went on their merry way chasing stage victories and trying to win the Belgian classics. His contract was performance based and he has performed pretty well over the past 5 years.

Climbers for support, gee that would be pretty important in anyone's attempt at winning a GT.

Cadel has changed the way Lotto thinks about training and their approach to racing not just for stages but overall victory as well. They have still got a long way to go.

He is not going to Garmin or Sky, Italy or Spain, or another belgian team. Does that help.

I figure the future will tell - but my guess is that you are suggesting Columbia.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
sida-mot said:
What about columbia?

Didn't Cav say they would be back in the GC for next years TdF?

I remember him saying something like that when the course was announced.

Columbia have made a point of the fact that Martin is their Tour GC man for the next few years :)

the best news in the last two weeks.Now i think he would be smart to go to team sky (they have some ok climbers)Will cadel bring some riders along with him?if so Matt Lloyd maybe?the only other option i see is Lampre(cunego is only going for stage wins these days)and the giro would be his best chance of a gt victory next season.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Captain Kirk said:
Well, at his biography launch this week (Wednesday night, Sydney) ...

Is this for real? A biography already? I think the guy is a helluva cyclist but maybe he should win a GT and then write a book.

skippy254 said:
I say good luck to him, I just hope he gets on a team with a little firepower to back him up. Then it will be time to put up or shut up.:D

Exactly.

Powderpuff, you hint at some inside knowledge... what do you know? Hey, are you Cadel's mum?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
afpm90 said:
How would it hurt? This year Vandevelde and Wiggins were fighting for the GC, and Farrar still had some good sprints.
Neither Vande Velde nor Wiggins entered the race as a top GC contender. Were Vaughters to sign either Evans or Contador, he would have to structure the squad much differently - a squad that could take the leaders jersey and protect it for up to three weeks - and that inevitibaly leaves any sprinter unprotected.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Failing to deliver?? He had two very interrupted years at Telekom due to injuries; he was never given a chance in a GT with them other than Vuelta when he got sick. He came into a team of legends and was never really given the chance to succeed.

Lotto got a great GC rider and future GT prospect, who could ride with minimal support from the team; while Lotto went on their merry way chasing stage victories and trying to win the Belgian classics. His contract was performance based and he has performed pretty well over the past 5 years.

Climbers for support, gee that would be pretty important in anyone's attempt at winning a GT.

Cadel has changed the way Lotto thinks about training and their approach to racing not just for stages but overall victory as well. They have still got a long way to go.

He is not going to Garmin or Sky, Italy or Spain, or another belgian team. Does that help.

HALLELUJAH! I am so happy! When i heard the news i was jumping up and down for joy.
So where is he going then? A french team? AG2R is my pick!

Just to let you know he will be on Australian TV in 1/2 an hour on CH9 - "Wide World of Sports".

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:

So doesn't that make it even more impressive that Lotto put the faith in him that it did?
They saw what a bargain they were getting as they knew Robbie could only go on winning for decade or two longer.
Moondance said:
BTW, "horrendously" stupid? Not just regular old stupid? :(
No, I think you have earned a few more levels of stupidity than regular stupid on this topic.:D

A

Anonymous

heard a rumour hes going to shack.. :eek:

they are aiming for 1-2 in the tour... :D

auscyclefan94 said:
HALLELUJAH! I am so happy! When i heard the news i was jumping up and down for joy.
So where is he going then? A french team? AG2R is my pick!

Just to let you know he will be on Australian TV in 1/2 an hour on CH9 - "Wide World of Sports".

thanks for the tv coverage tip..................go cadel.........

powderpuff said:
No, I think you have earned a few more levels of stupidity than regular stupid on this topic.:D

Stupid-Terrorists.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Here's an interesting idea that came up on another forum:

Quickstep have roster spots open and a rather large budget and lack a GT leader...

And they have a habit of taking pride on snapping up talent from their rivals at Lotto :)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Is this for real? A biography already? I think the guy is a helluva cyclist but maybe he should win a GT and then write a book.

I'll think you'll find a few wins besides a GT......

http://www.sbs.com.au/shop/product/...o-Flying-b-font-color-ff0000-PRE-ORDER-b-font

Overview
Few noticed Cadel Evans in his first Tour de France when in the last week he was photographed on the final climb of the stage alongside the leaders Lance Armstrong and Ivan Basso. But he was determined to succeed, and that year he finished eighth. By 2006 he was fifth overall and in 2007 he lost to Alberto Contador by a mere 23 seconds.

But who is this dedicated sportsman? And what has been his formula for success?

Cadel was first noticed in 1994 when he rode to fifth position in a cross country race. Since his teens he has been a professional cyclist - half his life. He is a competitor who refuses to allow ego to dictate strategy. These days he receives a monthly program that sets out his schedule day-by-day. It outlines in intricate detail the required elements that are to be fulfilled: how many hours, what percentage should be spent at what heart rate, specific cadences and the length of time he should be climbing. Nothing is left to chance. No matter what the weather the regime is followed to the letter.

Cadel gives us a glimpse of the physical and psychological tests that are required to be the best, whilst giving an illuminating and fascinating look at the Tour de France – the teams; the climbs; the politics and the opponents that make it the most renowned cycling race in the world.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
He could of bought a book out called "It's not about the bike" but that was already taken. This has been a somewhat delayed release(almost 2 years) of a book that is about an aussie finally reaching the podium of the greatest race on the planet. Its about the quest to achieve that goal and life along the way.

Sure he doesn't have the palmares of some riders but he does have an interesting story to tell.:)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Doesn't Cav have a biography already? Pulished in like, June, this year? Certainly Cuddles is more worthy than Cav at this stage.

Really? how so? He could certainly show cav a thing or two when it comes to finishing second.

lanternrouge said:
Really? how so? He could certainly show cav a thing or two when it comes to finishing second.

I personally think Cadel's years as a MTBer, difficult transition to the road, years of being derided as a loser and horrible person before becoming world champion is more interesting than Cav's story of: "I'm great, everyone look at me. Garmin suck and Pipo Pozzato wants to suck me." etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS