• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans leaves Omega Pharma - Lotto

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Evans speaking to AFP

"I am tired of being known as the bloke who finishes second in the Tour de France," Evans told AFP. "I had a lot of bad luck this year but I am already looking ahead to next year and am more determined than ever to win it, I won't be satisfied until I have."

It'll be a team where he will be the sole leader so that won't be RS or garmin unless wiggo gets lost. That's why i think it's sky. i think CE and his management have been working on a deal for a while but surprisingly no one has speculated about it before today because you would be stupid to be looking for a team know when most teams have confirmed their rosters for next year.

Evans is selling tshirts saying don't stand on my dog. LOL

though, going on powderpuff's theory it's going to be radioshack. If it's not Sky or garmin, italy or spain and not another belgian team then it would have to be between columbia and radioshack. columbia have cavendish so i doubt it would be them.

I might actually have to barrack for LA :eek:. That would be devastasting.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
and sky havnt finished signing people yet... wonder if wegalius has a get out clause, bearing in mind it was cadel who wanted him at lotto..

Maybe he can try and bring Matt Lloyd across as well. Too bad Horner has his bank balance only in mind, and waited, he might of had the chance to ride with Cadel, considering how much he thinks of Horner as domestique.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans speaking to AFP

It'll be a team where he will be the sole leader so that won't be RS or garmin unless wiggo gets lost. That's why i think it's sky. i think CE and his management have been working on a deal for a while but surprisingly no one has speculated about it before today because you would be stupid to be looking for a team know when most teams have confirmed their rosters for next year.

Evans is selling tshirts saying don't stand on my dog. LOL

I was quite impressed with his confidence since returning home. It's quite admirable that someone puts their hand up and says I want to win the tour. As I said in another thread, to my knowledge only AC, AS and LA (and now CE) have actually stated they want to WIN next year, whereas most contenders/pretenders do the usual not-going-to-get-ahead-of-myself strategy.

The more I think about it, I agree it has to be Sky. The Aussie connection, a more english-based team with many english-speaking riders, rather than a euro team with a few english speaking riders.

That said, JV may have come to the conclusion that AC is stuck at Astana for good, and may well be letting Wiggins go to Sky to mould Cadel into the argyle

I really hope it's announced in the next few days, there's way to much speculating here. Maybe monday, first day back at work for Team Sky :D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Huh that is a surprise, Channel 9 here in Aus actually did some research and said before they cut to the Evans interview: "In breaking news Cadel Evans has split from his Silence-Lotto team" said the reporter before going to the interview.

I guess miracles do happen, otherwise I would never have believed you.

May 27, 2009
Visit site
What if...

Mellow Velo said:
Hah! so many rumours surrounding Contador's possible transfer.
Meanwhile, Evans has already made his move and none of us had a clue where he's off.....and still don't!:eek:
Maybe he's swapped his rainbow jersey for a cloak of invisibilty?

Has to be a team with loadsa money, so I look to the sky.......

Hello all,

What would happen if you packed a cloak of invisibility in a suitcase of courage?

Irenaeus

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Taco-Trek is looking for a GC contender since Rassmusen is gone.

Supposedly he got too fat (see picture below) from eating Tacos so he got fired.

rasmussen.jpg

In my opinion Taco-Trek is THE best team for Evans.

:D

Anybody who posts that photo should be tarred and feathered IMO.

i agree with mountain goat here, in that the tour you still need to ride up the hills and perform in the top in the time trials and cadel can do that.

Look forward to seeing CE in a new environmvent and hopefully the results will flow...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Timmy-Loves-Rabo would probably die of a heart attack if that happened:D
That or a brain aneurysm. He would never have a bar of it.;)

True. Though he must have a little soft spot for evans being australian.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I never bothered reading the article, because I did not have to.

I already added it up. BMC was a natural home where he could leverage his market value.

It is based on the Cervelo model, appreciating that the Tour will bring disproportionate publicity, and that 90% of the media will be gained by a Tour entry, so if you only have to add 20% to your team budget, you find a much better capitalisation ratio.

Ballan and Hincapie were proof of ambition. Cancellara will follow. Andy Rihs has already won one Tour de France with Landis at Phonak. There was word 12 months ago that he wanted to list his cycling equipment company, BMC and Assos, and some other brands, in an IPO. I do not think this is a plan as of now. And Hincapie is providing the kit this year.

It adds up. Russia will hold out on Kayusha for a Russian like Menchov or development from Ignatiev or Rovny or Trufimov.

And Sky want Froome or Wiggins to build. They are holding the big budget tea leader position open for Wiggins in 2011. They will also did at Dan Martin.

So they are off the table.

Evans should have taken a 2 year contract with Lotto in 05/06, and proved himself as a legitimate contender, then looked to go to a team for less money upfront, where he could win the Tour. He was never going to win the Tour on Lotto and without a strong medical program.

He should have found a different team, and sacrificed the short term financial gain, for a potential win at the Tour, and the long term pay off. No French team. No lowlands team, perhaps tho Rabo. But he was hated by Boogerd.

Which team? Take less go to CSC. Julich took minimum to go there. When Basso left, he should have tried to jump across.

The guy makes a rod for his own back, because he is disliked by the peloton. He does not use any strategic foresight, to plan how he will win, in the future, by creating good working relationships by the heads of the teams, and the people who will be making the decisions.

I would be surprised if Cadel goes to any team that does not have alot better support for him. I think that rules out Sky unless they fill up some great climbing domestiques in the last remaining places in the roster.

I think it also rules out BMC for the same reason.

The best options for support in my opinion are Katusha and AG2R. Astana if Contador leaves would also be a decent option if we purely look at support. Even Columbia would be a better choice than Sky and BMC with regards to support but the Cav situation might get in the way of getting the help needed.

But one team that hasn't been mentioned is Caisse d'Epargne. If Valverde gets a global ban and Contador stays at Astana or goes somewhere else, they could also need a good GC rider. I don't know how keen they would be on having a non-spaniard but they would certainly have the support needed.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
I never bothered reading the article, because I did not have to.

I already added it up. BMC was a natural home where he could leverage his market value.

It is based on the Cervelo model, appreciating that the Tour will bring disproportionate publicity, and that 90% of the media will be gained by a Tour entry, so if you only have to add 20% to your team budget, you find a much better capitalisation ratio.

Ballan and Hincapie were proof of ambition. Cancellara will follow. Andy Rihs has already won one Tour de France with Landis at Phonak. There was word 12 months ago that he wanted to list his cycling equipment company, BMC and Assos, and some other brands, in an IPO. I do not think this is a plan as of now. And Hincapie is providing the kit this year.

It adds up. Russia will hold out on Kayusha for a Russian like Menchov or development from Ignatiev or Rovny or Trufimov.

And Sky want Froome or Wiggins to build. They are holding the big budget tea leader position open for Wiggins in 2011. They will also did at Dan Martin.

So they are off the table.

Evans should have taken a 2 year contract with Lotto in 05/06, and proved himself as a legitimate contender, then looked to go to a team for less money upfront, where he could win the Tour. He was never going to win the Tour on Lotto and without a strong medical program.

He should have found a different team, and sacrificed the short term financial gain, for a potential win at the Tour, and the long term pay off. No French team. No lowlands team, perhaps tho Rabo. But he was hated by Boogerd.

Which team? Take less go to CSC. Julich took minimum to go there. When Basso left, he should have tried to jump across.

The guy makes a rod for his own back, because he is disliked by the peloton. He does not use any strategic foresight, to plan how he will win, in the future, by creating good working relationships by the heads of the teams, and the people who will be making the decisions.

Did you consult your lucky 8 ball?

A

Anonymous

im just glad im going to have another year of hating, without being forced into supporting him just cos hes on a british team..

i didnt get to sleep till 4 last night worrying about it

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
IMO a french team would really suit him
1. 100% sure to particpate at the Tour.
2. He's mister clean, and so are the french (according to themselves).
3. Evans' loser image suits the loser images of the french teams and vice versa.
4. he'll get 8 frenchies in the tour squad who'll ride the sh*t out of themselves.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
They saw what a bargain they were getting as they knew Robbie could only go on winning for decade or two longer.

No, I think you have earned a few more levels of stupidity than regular stupid on this topic.:D

Ok, calling Moondance stupid is one thing but did you have to do the same thing by suggesting Robbie McEwen would ride for enother decade, maybe two? Lance isn't even that cocky.

Looks like the two threads have narrowed it down. BMC, Katusha as an offshot (but they have one rider vacancy left) and Lampre (spare cash fro DiLuca not signing and new buys). The aussie director at HTC does not want Cuddles and Garmin are more or less the same. They think he's a pain in the ****. Sky want a British Tour winner for a British team. The 3 teams I mentioned have no GC riders and spare cash. I'll be shocked if it isn't one of them. If it is the Shack, well that will really remove the rose coloured glasses from some faces.

wow, i wake up this morning to reports that cadel has left silence-lotto and is rumored to be going to BMC...that would be huge for them because it gives them a huge step forward to going to the tour...plus with that classics team they are putting together it sounds like BMC could make some serious noise next year

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
nope... if he is the same old wheel hugging, content for second cadel, then i wont like him, and the british wont like him...

if he attacks and approaches races the way he did in the worlds, even if he fails, then the brits will take to him...

its a bit like wayne rooney signing for liverpool.. i cant stand the ugly, granny *****ing, nasty peice of work, but if he did his best for us, and put in the effort then i would support him... (but if he didnt, boy would i and the rest of the liverpool fans turn on him something terrible)

Wrong Merseyside team. Rooney played for Everton, the other Liverpool based team other than the Anfield boys and moved to Manchester United. You sure you're English dude?

By Cadel attacking, do you mean like Wiggins did this year? He didn't attack any more than Cadel has ever done and he is reportedly well liked in Britain. Apart from Verbier, Wiggins followed the entire Tour and then he was still only following those up the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS