• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

EVANS! Time to abandon those so called team mates!

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I reckon he should leave those losers, collaborators, clogs and just hang on to the back wheel of Astana. Be an unofficial member of their team.

Failing that, just sit on the wheel of the yellow and hope for a move that can stick.

As it stands, he may as well hit the turps with Cavendish and enjoy the scenery.

You cant trust the Dutch you know. They were very unreliable during the war. You never knew if they would turn up or whose side they were on. Nothings changed.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Well for a start he rides of a Belgian team so get your facts right. Secondly as it is his team has been doing a better job than before, he even got a one-two punch set up for Contador attacked in Andorra, which Evans has never been able to do before, and somewhat more to the point, no team other than Saxo Bank has even tried to do so far. He might not a great team, but it is no longer utterly rubbish.

mickkk said:
I reckon he should leave those losers, collaborators, clogs and just hang on to the back wheel of Astana. Be an unofficial member of their team.

Failing that, just sit on the wheel of the yellow and hope for a move that can stick.

As it stands, he may as well hit the turps with Cavendish and enjoy the scenery.

You cant trust the Dutch you know. They were very unreliable during the war. You never knew if they would turn up or whose side they were on. Nothings changed.
Silence is Belgian and no Dutch riders are riding for Silence Lotto in this Tour.

So what the f*** are you talking about.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
They must be paying him a lot for him to stay. Also, he may simply be loyal to Silence (they've treated him well compared with Telekom, which wouldn't even take him to the Tour)! :mad:

Silence was unlucky with the Kohl and Dekker positives. Van den Broeck has done great work for him; brave rider to break out on Arcalis the other day to try to set up Evans (and he did the same work at Dauphine).

Could imagine Evans at Garmin (but they have a full slate now). Zabriskie has a wry sort of humour much more in line with Evans' Aussie take on things, which is misunderstood. At Garmin, Evans would have no problem with the TTT. So far this Tour, I would argue he's a stronger rider than Armstrong, except for the TTT and Lance's lucky break with the split in the field on that windy day--yet Evans is 3 mins back.

His attempted break yesterday: well, what can he do? Landis is a genius when he pulls it off, but Evans an idiot when he fails. Riding the Astana procession is not going to win him the Tour, so it's time to get creative. I thought it was a smart move (yes, low odds; but still the only odds he can play to get back 3 mins). Otherwise he is just a lemming riding right off a cliff. Time to make some deviations from this course :p

P.S. Kudos for turning himself into an attacking rider (anyone who says he doesn't attack now is smoking something).

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
If Menchov,Sastre or one of the other GC contenders that are a few mins down had went with him it might have been different, put Astana under pressure and burn out some of thier riders before the last climb is the only way get AC/LA to have to work against the other GC contenders.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:

/edit: nm

not worth it

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
i feel kinda sorry for evans, in my opinion he is the second best rider in this tour after contador. i think he would be even more dangerous if he raced in a team with another GC-contender. that way he wouldnt need to be so defensive as he could use the teammate to attack the rest of the GC-riders and eventually counter-attack.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
true.

but it was such an unecessary comment :mad:

But lol @ his ignorance anyway.
i do wonder if his comment was about dekker, but that is silly thinking dekker would have changed evans situation

i'm happy now with what dekker did. ;)
not that he could have helped evans win the tour. he's just not good enough.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:

Thanks for that, Grandpa Simpson. :rolleyes:

Ziptie said:
Thanks for that, Grandpa Simpson. :rolleyes:

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I have tried so hard to figure out how Cadel has been blessed with the brand of major contender. He has basically benefited from the removal and exclusion of major contenders the last 3 years. Coming from 11 minutes down in 2005 to being 4 minutes down in 2006 it seems the contenders have gone down to Cadels level not the other way around.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
ah, threads aren't stupid just because someone says something stupid...

hell, this thread's quality with the replies - anyone going to top Bro Deal's chucklefest?

dadoorsron said:
I have tried so hard to figure out how Cadel has been blessed with the brand of major contender. He has basically benefited from the removal and exclusion of major contenders the last 3 years. Coming from 11 minutes down in 2005 to being 4 minutes down in 2006 it seems the contenders have gone down to Cadels level not the other way around.

Sorry Archibald, this thread just took a turn for the worse again......

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
There are no stupid threads, only stupid people.
Evans has always lacked support, horner was close and had he been retained, who knows. This year I think SL are doing as well as other years by him, apart from the TTT. I like thinking of transfers, who would you bring to SL or where should he go? Any answers, opinions?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dadoorsron said:

2X 2nd at the Tour de france means he must of gotten better. Maybe he has gotten results being 'clean' and some of the other cyclists have been dirty so he has really acheived those results no matter how you look at it. You don't come 2nd in a tour de france by default.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
There are no stupid threads, only stupid people.
Evans has always lacked support, horner was close and had he been retained, who knows. This year I think SL are doing as well as other years by him, apart from the TTT. I like thinking of transfers, who would you bring to SL or where should he go? Any answers, opinions?

I would like to see Simon Gerrans join SL as he is likely pretty upset with Cervelo at the moment. I have been really impressed with Van Den Broeck so far as well.

If the TTT is here to stay again, they really need to bolster their TT abilities. Not sure who though....

TRENDING THREADS