• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans Weight

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else reckon Cadel is carrying a few Kg extra? I thought that at the world champs and he did fine there, but with the Giro only weeks away I was surprised at the size of his waist and calves. I really thought he would have a good crack at the Giro rather than the Tour...

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
yhtimsgib said:
Anyone else reckon Cadel is carrying a few Kg extra? I thought that at the world champs and he did fine there, but with the Giro only weeks away I was surprised at the size of his waist and calves. I really thought he would have a good crack at the Giro rather than the Tour...

He is one of those riders that never looks really skinny even when he has no fat on him.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
this forum is great except that it contains a lot of people that talk out of their asses about seeing a rider's weight. there is NO WAY EVER anyone can see from their tv on a bike a rider whether he weighs 68 or 70 kg, it's completely ridiculous. not even naked you could se ethe difference unless you were told

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
this forum is great except that it contains a lot of people that talk out of their asses about seeing a rider's weight. there is NO WAY EVER anyone can see from their tv on a bike a rider whether he weighs 68 or 70 kg, it's completely ridiculous. not even naked you could se ethe difference unless you were told

Ullrich? Reckon you could tell when he had a few spare Kg's

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
yhtimsgib said:
Ullrich? Reckon you could tell when he had a few spare Kg's

ullrich is the stuff of legend and bull**** myths. in reality ullrich was 183 and 73 kg for nearly every tour start he was ever in(beat that lance). in the winter he would be 80 kg few times yes you could see that difference because all of that weight went into his face and stomach.

one rider that truely had visible weight problems was dario pieri that would be 105 kg in the winter sometimes...

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Eyjafjallajokull said:
He is one of those riders that never looks really skinny even when he has no fat on him.

Thanks mate you made my day I never lok skinny even with 10% body fat.

Just as long as I can zipp up the skin suite

A bit OT but how much weight you reckon they lose in a day’s racing?

This article got mentioned on a football TV show last night so I found link to it
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brown-to-ease-back-on-training/story-e6frepj6-1225855199103

JONATHAN Brown is set to drastically scale back his training to offset the effects his enormous workload is having on his body.

The skipper has been constricted by tightness in his abdominal muscles and has also lost about 5kg in each of the Lions' three home games this season because of the fluid he loses covering such massive distances in extreme humidity.

Coach Michael Voss said the club's medical protocol required Brown to remain at the ground until he had regained his pre-game weight and sometimes he sat alone in the rooms eating and drinking and taking plunge baths until the early hours of the morning.

Evan's Weight

Evan's is 173 cm's and has never looked and never will look like the Schlecks, Armstrong, Menchov, Contador etc.............they are all taller and naturally thinner. Evan's never had the body of a climber. He is a power rider and does not spin the gears like some of the others.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
swuzzlebubble said:
A bit OT but how much weight you reckon they lose in a day’s racing?

This article got mentioned on a football TV show last night so I found link to it
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/brown-to-ease-back-on-training/story-e6frepj6-1225855199103

Given that Jonathon Brown is btwn 100-110kg he's losing ~ 5% body weight. Weight loss during exercise at that level is a sign of dehydration. That's why the doctors are having him hang around post game. Over 5% can be a sign of muscle depletion.

Given that cyclists get to carry water bottles and go through feeding stations I'd imagine they are better at avoiding losses at that level...and when they don't we get to watch them ride backwards.

I'd say around 2% losses during rides which they'd look to correct post ride.

anyone got any figures?

It has never looked to me that Evans is as lean as some of the other riders. He is certainly no porker, nor even close, but I don't think he looks like some of these guys who have stripped every gram of weight and them some off themselves. It makes me wonder what his performance would be like if he could lose three or four kilos. Maybe he would be the one attacking instead of following.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
It has never looked to me that Evans is as lean as some of the other riders. He is certainly no porker, nor even close, but I don't think he looks like some of these guys who have stripped every gram of weight and them some off themselves. It makes me wonder what his performance would be like if he could lose three or four kilos. Maybe he would be the one attacking instead of following.

You should check some of his pics in his mtb days. Skinny...

Seriously, I think his weight is fine. Can't really copmare him to other riders. He would also lose some time trialling ability if he didn't have some of that weight.

Usually he is 65kg around tour time.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Any time someone posts those photos of Rasmussen or Hamilton people react in horror and fascinated disgust. ("My god, they look like concentration camp survivors, that's not healthy"!) But start talking about someone who is "only" probably 4-6%ish body fat then they are too heavy and fat.