• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 435 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Alberto was right when he said that Primoz will need to switch teams to win the Tour. His contract is through 2025 and I know he Loves TJV, his teammates and is very happy there. But with Vingo on board, he won't get a shot at it with TJV.
Something to ponder.

i actually think his best chance to win the Tour is at Jumbo still. a duo of him and Vingegaard on the same team could benefit him if he attacks and Pogacar refuses to follow and he ends up being gifted a few minutes. i think that's a much better chance to win than going head to head with them.

its not like i didnt say what exactly was gonne happen in the spring regarding Van aert and MVDP LONG before it did happen on this forum (after its pointless) but then again thats nothing new regarding MVDP always been the stronger of those two their entire career almost so nothing to new there...

This regarding roglic was and is not my field as i dont talk to primoz,but chatter from people directly involved with him came back to me and from those people roglic rode conservatively on purpose the last 3 stages to never go deeper than he needed and basicly in terms of the number coulda rode way more agresively yesterday and day before so in those terms hes saved himself to basicly smash it on this GT which turned out to be true.

Primoz deserved this and clearly the strongest rider won!

@Illmaestro99

I'm still crying 8 hours after...after watching the ITT for the third time now...

Just as I was writing yesterday about how I was a bit disappointed by his performance in this Giro, he then does one of the best performances of his career and one that will go down as one of the great rides of this sport. The guy is just amazing.

I've doubted him so many times despite being a fan and I still haven't learnt the lesson. People saying he can't win the Tour...don't do that. The man is a combination of pure heart and determination. He has a champion's mentality. He can win whatever race he sets as a goal in his mind. Maybe he won't, but in his mind he knows he can...and that's what is pushing him forward even after big setbacks and defeats.

They should make a movie about his life..."Primož Roglič: a roglstomp of life"

I'm still crying 8 hours after...after watching the ITT for the third time now...

Just as I was writing yesterday about how I was a bit disappointed by his performance in this Giro, he then does one of the best performances of his career and one that will go down as one of the great rides of this sport. The guy is just amazing.

I've doubted him so many times despite being a fan and I still haven't learnt the lesson. People saying he can't win the Tour...don't do that. The man is a combination of pure heart and determination. He has a champion's mentality. He can win whatever race he sets as a goal in his mind. Maybe he won't, but in his mind he knows he can...and that's what is pushing him forward even after big setbacks and defeats.

You're making me cry again. I only rewatched it twice :)
I think he can win the Tour, let the doubters doubt. Great deeds in sport are done with the mind and heart not logic! But even if he never wins another race, he has all of the best qualities of a champion, and I will still love him!
Great idea for a movie :).

I don’t doubt that things could work out for Roglic to win the Tour, but I agree it isn’t likely. He is very good, but I don’t think he has ever been on the level of Vingo in the 2022 Tour consistently. Maybe one off performances that match, but I think that is above anything Pog, Rog, or certainly Remco have done so far in a GT. I just flipped through the stage results on PCS and was reminded that the time gaps were insane.

Granon - Thomas +1:38, Pogi +2:51
Peyregaudes - Thomas +2:07 in 4th
Huatacam - Pogi +1:04, Thomas +2:54

That’s just crazy. Roglic’s only hope would be to hang on and win some time in the right ITT ( though that probably isn’t even likely) and get some bonus seconds. He has never put 3 minutes into podium contenders on a GT stage that I am aware of. Just crazy stuff from Vingegaard. But you never know, he can surprise. Like today.
Neither had Vingegard...

Primoz Roglic: Making grown men cry like babies :tearsofjoy:

It's just ridiculous. I've never gone from crying of despair to joy at the same time, ever. It was too much.

I mean Primož freaking Roglič, what a total legend. Crazy.

And the way this Giro win is happening has value way beyond watts, power, whatever. It's the human aspect of exorcizing 2020 with his own little extra twist (chain drop) which makes this pretty much his absolute much legendary victory ever. I mean he could retire tomorrow & it's 'job done'.

I know people talk about the Tour but I don't actually care about that. If he goes there again, he gets to just ride free of pressure IMO. The Giro is like the icing on his career & the way it happened couldn't be written in a Hollywood movie because audiences wouldn't believe it.

Here's an additional impression that might merit another shed tear....he races with the joy of a kid and doesn't make excuses when it's not enough. A gracious winner and loser; that's uncommon in sports and all walks of life. I'll always hope that's real and I'm a well-travelled cynic.

2019 Giro was well within his grasp and so was the 2020 Tour, plus last year’s Vuelta was there for the taking, if it wasn’t for the bad luck. That would have solidified him as a legend, IMO, with 4 Vuelta’s, 2 Giro’s, and 1 Tour. We’ll see how his body recovers in future GT’s, considering he’ll be 34 later this year.
Let's not go there. H was argubly closer to losing this Giro and the 2020 Vuelta than to winning any of those three GTs. When it comes to close races Roglic's luck has gone both ways.

Let's not go there. H was argubly closer to losing this Giro and the 2020 Vuelta than to winning any of those three GTs. When it comes to close races Roglic's luck has gone both ways.

People often deride the massive support Roglič gets with stuff like "why do you guys rave so much about a mountain sprinter?"

Well, yesterday's final few km's encapsulated everything Rogla. The ITT was going so, so well. He was going to win the Giro. It was inevitable... one second at a time, he was overturning the GC deficit... & then the almost way too predictable snafu wrecked everything - again. But, to counter the misfortune he put in a ride like the Olympic ITT & destroyed the field.

That's it. It's not about the watts or the "is this rider the best ever?" questions like that, it's about the human factor of a ski jumper from humble background becoming a cycling pro at a later age than most & having all sorts of ups & downs along the way.

Give me this Giro win under these circumstances over any dominant "he won GC with a ten minute lead!" demolition jobs which might look cool on wikipedia & PCS but considering the history of this sport (& sport in general) doesn't really do anything for me.

People often deride the massive support Roglič gets with stuff like "why do you guys rave so much about a mountain sprinter?"

Well, yesterday's final few km's encapsulated everything Rogla. The ITT was going so, so well. He was going to win the Giro. It was inevitable... one second at a time, he was overturning the GC deficit... & then the almost way too predictable snafu wrecked everything - again. But, to counter the misfortune he put in a ride like the Olympic ITT & destroyed the field.

That's it. It's not about the watts or the "is this rider the best ever?" questions like that, it's about the human factor of a ski jumper from humble background becoming a cycling pro at a later age than most & having all sorts of ups & downs along the way.

Give me this Giro win under these circumstances over any dominant "he won GC with a ten minute lead!" demolition jobs which might look cool on wikipedia & PCS but considering the history of this sport (& sport in general) doesn't really do anything for me.

Great post.

So what's next for Primoz? Vuelta a la playa again? (this is the most logical choice, plenty of time to rest and build another peak)
Or maybe, together with the Skeleton, digging Pogi's grave again at the Tour?
I actually think he's quite likely to go to the Tour now.

It's the lowest pressure he'll ever have at the Tour, and I also wouldn't be too surprised if he really wanted to be part of a Tour winning team. He wasn't at any of the celebrations last year.

Jumbo as a team is really big on the team building with all the team altitude camps etc, but this time I fully expect Kuss to go to the Tour anyway, so I doubt that's a dealbreaker. Kuss was actually saying he was really fresh still after the Zoldo Alto stage.

I actually think he's quite likely to go to the Tour now.

It's the lowest pressure he'll ever have at the Tour, and I also wouldn't be too surprised if he really wanted to be part of a Tour winning team. He wasn't at any of the celebrations last year.

Jumbo as a team is really big on the team building with all the team altitude camps etc, but this time I fully expect Kuss to go to the Tour anyway, so I doubt that's a dealbreaker. Kuss was actually saying he was really fresh still after the Zoldo Alto stage.
I'd love to see Roglič at the Tour. But I don't see it happening this year. Jumbo already made their shortlist of 9 riders, and he's not on it. So unless more than 1 guy drop out, I'm afraid he won't be included in the squad.

Rogla will go to the Tour if he can. He’s not the type of guy to run away from challenges. Performance-wise, he shouldn’t have a problem i think. He is capable of reaching another peak in July. If Vingegaard becomes an obstacle, he may never to the Tour again and that’s just not the way to go…

Reactions: Sandisfan
Congrats to Rogla on a well-deserved win, obviously great to see him turn things around in a dramatic final TT.

If he isn't going to the Tour, perhaps he and his right hand man can fit in a short holiday together...

Ti6s80WE_o.png

Testament to Roglic’s calmness after his mechanical. Didn’t panic and didn’t think the race was over. He could have thought he needed to dig deeper outwith his own pacing strategy, only to blow-up on the mountain but he must have known that he had “good legs”.

I love how in the interview he said something like "no big deal atleast i got some rest standing there" :D

I'd love to see Roglič at the Tour. But I don't see it happening this year. Jumbo already made their shortlist of 9 riders, and he's not on it. So unless more than 1 guy drop out, I'm afraid he won't be included in the squad.
If Roglic is mentally and physically prepared to do the Tour, which is both, his call, and the team's, I doubt Jumbo will care much about those 7 riders from the shortlist (apart from Vinge and Wout).