• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On stage 17 Roglič did manage to keep the advantage, could have ended up badly. Getting caught in the crosswinds, that is likely something Roglič won't try to repeat in the future. What a fast paced race this was. Not sure what to expect from Quintana, likely Valverde is still the main competitor, for the overall win. Quintana again is somebody all will need to keep an eye on, luckily not only Roglič.

Yeah he dodged a bullet today. But as ever his response was I made a mistake, it was a learning experience. I like people that accept responsibility and gain experience :).

Great stage, my only problem was it was so quick by the time it came on air it was almost done! Only got 1,5 hours of the bike race :(.

Yeah he dodged a bullet today. But as ever his response was I made a mistake, it was a learning experience. I like people that accept responsibility and gain experience :).

Great stage, my only problem was it was so quick by the time it came on air it was almost done! Only got 1,5 hours of the bike race :(.
Roglic, Tadej, Nairo, Sepp, Phillipe....these guys have been racing and it's great to see that the robots haven't completely taken over the sport.

With the exception of that 4th place in the Tour last year he has finished on the podium of every stage race he has participated in since April 2018. Pais Vasco 2018 1st, Romandie 2018 1st, Slovenia 2018 1st, (Tour 2018 4th), ToB 2018 3rd, UAE Tour 2019 1st, Tirreno 2019 1st, Romandie 2019 1st, Giro 2019 3rd, Vuelta 2019 (looking good :p ).

That is some major consistency.

With the exception of that 4th place in the Tour last year he has finished on the podium of every stage race he has participated in since April 2018. Pais Vasco 2018 1st, Romandie 2018 1st, Slovenia 2018 1st, (Tour 2018 4th), ToB 2018 3rd, UAE Tour 2019 1st, Tirreno 2019 1st, Romandie 2019 1st, Giro 2019 3rd, Vuelta 2019 (looking good :p ).

That is some major consistency.
He is the number 1 GC rider in the world imo, a TDF title next year will cement it

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and topt
^^Why is he better than Froome, Bernal, Dumoulin, or even Thomas or Carapaz? (I'm not saying he isn't, but to be fair to those guys they all won GTs against stronger competition.)
On current form Thomas, Dumo, Froome are laughable and on results
This year he has been more impressive than Bernal and Carapaz in all races. Now overall results for the last 5 years is a different game but I never said that?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sports director Addy Engels was happy with the performance of his team. “Everything went right today. Neilson was in the dangerous break. The other guys did also a tremendous job. We always had control of the race. On the last climb, Primoz showed us that he still has all of his good shape. Teamwork of the highest level.”

Roglic was also satisfied with his team. “It was a hard stage again, with a difficult final. The team was really good. Moreover, I felt good as well. We have to be focussed until Madrid, because the real finish line is there. Probably, I am my own biggest competitor. Again, It was all about the team today."

Reactions: Scarponi
A lot of hard work invested by Roglič and his team on stage 18. I felt that López attacked too early, but then again López isn't attacking Roglič anymore. It was all about Pogačar and securing the white jersey. López did manage to do that today. Pogačar will likely try to win the white jersey back. But for doing that, an exceptional attack and strategy will be needed. It is good for Roglič, that Quintana lost time today. Movistar has less options, when it comes to tactical games. More direct attack will be needed. As for the Valverde, highly likely he will still at least try to win the La Vuelta 19. Higuita deserved the win.

Yes, trying to secure a podium position, for sure that is next thing on the mind of López and Astana. Today i still feel the main focus was an attack on Pogačar. Quintana staying behind was more of a bonus outcome for López. Somehow i feel that team Movistar still has some reserve left. Battle for podium positions therefore is far from over.

well, I look at it this way, Bernal has won TDF and has NEVER beaten Roglic

True, although you could also say that Carapaz won the Giro and HAS beaten Roglic.

Still, i grant that Roglic's record in all stage races, as noted above, is pretty incredible. And at least in this year he hasn't shown any weaknesses.

But to the original thesis, which is that Roglic is the best stage racer right now: My point is only that the other guys on that list won their GTs against stronger competition. This Giro we've got a 39 year old and a 20 year old fighting for the podium, Quintana who has dropped off considerably, and Lopez, who's ITT is a liability. No Dumoulin or Ineos guys like Thomas or Froome who can climb and lay down a quality TT, nor an otherworldly climber like Bernal or Carapaz.

IMO Roglic would have had a considerably harder time against Carapaz and Thomas if either had come to the Giro on form.

He is the number 1 GC rider in the world imo, a TDF title next year will cement it
If we're talking GT's then Froome is definitely number 1, no doubt about it. Roglic is certainly on a rise though, and you could make a case for him being the third best GT rider atm (I think it's hard to put him above Thomas).
2-6 should be Thomas, Roglic, Dumoulin, Bernal and Carapaz in some order. And then if I were to put together a top 10, I'd have 4 of S. Yates, Nibali, Quintana, Kruijswijk, Valverde and Landa in there. I think you could make a case for either of those fitting in.

True, although you could also say that Carapaz won the Giro and HAS beaten Roglic.

Still, i grant that Roglic's record in all stage races, as noted above, is pretty incredible. And at least in this year he hasn't shown any weaknesses.

But to the original thesis, which is that Roglic is the best stage racer right now: My point is only that the other guys on that list won their GTs against stronger competition. This Giro we've got a 39 year old and a 20 year old fighting for the podium, Quintana who has dropped off considerably, and Lopez, who's ITT is a liability. No Dumoulin or Ineos guys like Thomas or Froome who can climb and lay down a quality TT, nor an otherworldly climber like Bernal or Carapaz.

IMO Roglic would have had a considerably harder time against Carapaz and Thomas if either had come to the Giro on form.
Roglic has barely lost time on mountain stages all race and Carapaz is a horrendous ITTer

You can easily argue the opposite and argue Carapaz was lucky Roglic messed up his Giro preperation

Are we comparing Roglič to other riders on an individual level, or are we comparing Roglič to team INEOS? Individually i feel that when healthy and in good form, Roglič can compete with any rider. When it comes to competing against teams, such as team INEOS, here i feel TJV still needs to improve. The good thing is TJV is constantly improving. Lets hope the trend will continue.

I'm not completely sold on Roglic not being 100% during the Giro (or at least entering the Giro). His gap to Lopez in the Giro was comparable to the gap he now has in the Vuelta. His gap to Majka is bigger here, but during the Giro Majka gained some time attacking when Roglic didn't really need to follow.

I feel like the Giro was a harder race overall for him (mainly because there were more long climbs) and the competition was stronger. The riders who beat him in the Giro are not here so I'm not sure how anyone could 100% be sure he would beat Carapaz or Nibali here.

In my opinion Roglic is the top rider for one week stage races, but he's yet to show he's the best in GTs.

I'm not completely sold on Roglic not being 100% during the Giro (or at least entering the Giro). His gap to Lopez in the Giro was comparable to the gap he now has in the Vuelta. His gap to Majka is bigger here, but during the Giro Majka gained some time attacking when Roglic didn't really need to follow.

I feel like the Giro was a harder race overall for him (mainly because there were more long climbs) and the competition was stronger. The riders who beat him in the Giro are not here so I'm not sure how anyone could 100% be sure he would beat Carapaz or Nibali here.

In my opinion Roglic is the top rider for one week stage races, but he's yet to show he's the best in GTs.

Good points. Giro is a different beast, I'm not sure that this Roglic can follow Nibali on Mortirolo and Civiglio or Carapaz on San Carlo. This Vuelta is sealed, it remains to be seen if he can turn into a multiple GT winner, there are a lot of very good riders who are struggling to get that second win.

If we take away everything else, and measure Roglič only on his Giro 2019 performance. As somehow Roglič only gets measured based on his Giro 2019 performance. OK, here is a challenge. Take any of the riders mentioned in this thread and make them compete in Giro. But first take away their team. And lets see if any of them will finish on the podium. In addition Roglič said bad nutrition contributed to loss of appetite and stomach issue on week 3.

All in all Roglič performance on Giro 2019 was epic, nothing to be ashamed of. It clearly proved Roglič is a genuine 3 week GT race GC contender. Still 3 days to go, but hopefully La Vuelta 2019 will further solidify that.

If we take away everything else, and measure Roglič only on his Giro 2019 performance. As somehow Roglič only gets measured based on his Giro 2019 performance. OK, here is a challenge. Take any of the riders mentioned in this thread and make them compete in Giro. But first take away their team. And lets see if any of them will finish on the podium. In addition Roglič said bad nutrition contributed to loss of appetite and stomach issue on week 3.

All in all Roglič performance on Giro 2019 was epic, nothing to be ashamed of. It clearly proved Roglič is a genuine 3 week GT race GC contender. Still 3 days to go, but hopefully La Vuelta 2019 will further solidify that.
Well, Dumoulin has been mentioned a number of times in this thread and he once won a Giro with no team whatsoever.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Imo all those comparisons with the Giro are nonsensical. Sorry

Different course, different riders, different form levels. Not only his opponents but also Roglic, who was overraced at the Giro.
We won't know the answer until next year at the earliest. All the rest is pure speculation.