• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 145 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I hate seeing Roglic getting dropped like that.

I only hope that was some much needed racing which can help build some form for the Vuelta (August 14th is soon).

Honestly, I am doubting he should even go to Vuelta. I think he would need a good, off the bike period. Maybe even end the season. Today, he was having some back issuses (not sure if he droped because of that) and we see what Pinot has done to himself riding by force.
If he is this bad in TT on wednesday, the team should rethink about schedule for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Carols and Rackham
Honestly, I am doubting he should even go to Vuelta. I think he would need a good, off the bike period. Maybe even end the season. Today, he was having some back issuses (not sure if he droped because of that) and we see what Pinot has done to himself riding by force.
If he is this bad in TT on wednesday, the team should rethink about schedule for the rest of the season.

I agree.

It's a bit depressing tbh.

Yes, all his teammates have left Tokyo, so there is no alternative.

In Slovenian media, Roglic has said yesterday that he was ok with offering his TT spot to someone else but yeah it is too late

I wonder if Primoz should have indidated earlier that he was not 100%. I understand he wanted to keep the spot at any cost because opportunities are limited, but would be sad if he will be DNS In the TT.

Well, he had two big objectives this year & they've both gone to utter sh*t due to that crash. The question regarding giving the TT slot to one of his compatriots would also require one of them to actually want the ride as well (which tbh is a bit of a poisoned chalice considering the length of the TT & the opposition, namely guys like Wout van Aert, Ganna & Rohan Dennis who make the medals look totally out of reach for everyone else).

And regarding Roglic' form, this is a guy with a pretty high base level as well so even his bad days are usually in the group of favorites or thereabouts. But yesterday just looked like a continuation of the Tour de France before he quit (specifically that Friday 250km stage before the Alps). So this is pretty much the worse I've seen him in two years.

On a more positive note (probably clutching at straws here, but whatever), I read Adam Yates also complained about cramps yesterday (i.e. cramps which can be a sympton of jet lag) & Richie Porte said it was one of the hardest days he'd ever had on a bike. The conditions were execrable with the humidity & heat. And it's also worth noting it was the Tour de France guys who did well yesterday whilst the others who hadn't been racing (even someone like Evenepoel who'd been training in Japan for longer) were behind.

I also remember an anecdote from the pre Tour de France 2020 where Tom Dumoulin reportedly remarked on how rubbish Primoz Roglic' numbers were in training in the week before the race (after his Dauphiné crash). And then bam, when the race started Roglic clicked into gear & won a stage.

So who knows, maybe the Vuelta isn't beyond reach yet.

Well, he had two big objectives this year & they've both gone to utter sh*t due to that crash. The question regarding giving the TT slot to one of his compatriots would also require one of them to actually want the ride as well (which tbh is a bit of a poisoned chalice considering the length of the TT & the opposition, namely guys like Wout van Aert, Ganna & Rohan Dennis who make the medals look totally out of reach for everyone else).

And regarding Roglic' form, this is a guy with a pretty high base level as well so even his bad days are usually in the group of favorites or thereabouts. But yesterday just looked like a continuation of the Tour de France before he quit (specifically that Friday 250km stage before the Alps). So this is pretty much the worse I've seen him in two years.

On a more positive note (probably clutching at straws here, but whatever), I read Adam Yates also complained about cramps yesterday (i.e. cramps which can be a sympton of jet lag) & Richie Porte said it was one of the hardest days he'd ever had on a bike. The conditions were execrable with the humidity & heat. And it's also worth noting it was the Tour de France guys who did well yesterday whilst the others who hadn't been racing (even someone like Evenepoel who'd been training in Japan for longer) were behind.

I also remember an anecdote from the pre Tour de France 2020 where Tom Dumoulin reportedly remarked on how rubbish Primoz Roglic' numbers were in training in the week before the race (after his Dauphiné crash). And then bam, when the race started Roglic clicked into gear & won a stage.

So who knows, maybe the Vuelta isn't beyond reach yet.

What I found interesting was that mostly the guys who were longer in Japan and didn't do the Tour were cramping: Adam Yates, Bettiol, Schachmann. So it looks like the extreme base level of fitness was more decisive in that regard in the end than dealing with the heat and humidity itself.

If there are no oppressing health issues involved best to force it a bit. Aim for the gold.
Tbh it is an issue where Roglic himself should know if it's slowly getting better or worse. He did come into Tokyo very underraced and he probably didn't do similar efforts in training anyway, so it all compounds into an underwhelming performance.

Before the race I though that betting against Roglic was the easiest bet in the markets.

As for the ITT, I have no high expectations tbh, but I hope for a good performance.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Still there is one more possibility. That is he went all in for TT and RR was never really a factor. In that case pain (Tour injuries related ones) and cramps during the whole RR do sound a bit worrying.

Anyway, hope that he assembles himself till TT, visualises the gold medal and goes for it. There is still a chance watts will come on Wednesday. Visually he does look like as being in a good TT form. Let's wait and see.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All in all i am glad Roglič-san got the TT spot on the Olympics. One DNF at Tour, you slide to No.3. And suddenly you should start begging for a TT spot and shouldn't even be allowed to do a RR.

Or so the internet mob claims.
The "internet mob" probably realizes that a two time Tour de France winner that smacked everyone at a rolling ITT a month ago and just won Bronze in the road race is a reasonable alternative to someone apparently still suffering from injuries.
I'm hoping he gets a medal but it's not like he has been treated unfairly here.

The "internet mob" probably realizes that a two time Tour de France winner that smacked everyone at a rolling ITT a month ago and just won Bronze in the road race is a reasonable alternative to someone apparently still suffering from injuries.
I'm hoping he gets a medal but it's not like he has been treated unfairly here.

It was all grand for sure but no Pogačar didn't do that. On TDF there where two rather flatish TTs. He won the first one by a big margin. That much is true. As likely UAE had a strategy to win the Tour in the first week. Pogačar was clearly behind on the second TT. Where for example Wout van Aert found his form.

And for sure Roglič is treated unfairly. Like he needs to beg or apologise to get a spot in RR and TT.

Like sure.

Tbh it might be a big deal if Pogacar had ever indicated he really wanted that spot, which to my knowledge he hasn't.

Judging from Pogacars comments, he's tired and a little bit past his best form himself

I somehow doubt Pogačar will always just get some spot in nationals team. Maybe after Roglič era but i doubt that it's a given before that.

65911322.jpg

After official training Roglič is in rather good mood. Says there are not a lot of flat sections. Not much to say about it. Care needed on descending and power needed on climbing.

And the plan is to go all in.

65911322.jpg

After official training Roglič is in rather good mood. Says there are not a lot of flat sections. Not much to say about it. Care needed on descending and power needed on climbing.

And the plan is to go all in.

Has this Rog vs Pog for the TT spot been a thing in Slovenian media by the way? Or is this mostly down to our own little corner of the internet?

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Tbh it might be a big deal if Pogacar had ever indicated he really wanted that spot, which to my knowledge he hasn't.

Judging from Pogacars comments, he's tired and a little bit past his best form himself
No Tadej has never indicated he wanted that TT spot.

I think Hauptman made the decision pretty soon in the season that they would probably ride more for Tadej in the RR and then Roglic gets to do the TT.

And after a long Tour, journey to Tokyo, Roadrace, Tadej seems very tired indeed. Even if Roglic had pulled out, I think he would not have done it.

It was all grand for sure but no Pogačar didn't do that. On TDF there where two rather flatish TTs. He won the first one by a big margin. That much is true. As likely UAE had a strategy to win the Tour in the first week. Pogačar was clearly behind on the second TT. Where for example Wout van Aert found his form.

And for sure Roglič is treated unfairly. Like he needs to beg or apologise to get a spot in RR and TT.

Like sure.

I somehow doubt Pogačar will always just get some spot in nationals team. Maybe after Roglič era but i doubt that it's a given before that.

I think it was made up pretty early in the season within the slovenian team that Tadej would be more of the leader for the road race and then Roglic got the TT spot.

I think the little criticism there is not about whether Roglic deserves the spot, but if he should maybe have indicated his back problems were quite bad and let someone else have the spot.

Because he was clearly not feeling good in the road race so that sounds not promising for the TT either.

Tadej, by this point, would not even want to take his spot. He is super tired.

Pogacar will DEFINETELY always get a place on the national team when he wants. He will not have to wait on Roglic to retire before that...They will BOTH always have priority on other slovenian riders as it stands. And rightly so. Pogacar has 2 Tour wins, LBL, Tirreno and so much else.

Thinking he needs to wait for Roglic to retire to be the national leader is laughable.

I think it was made up pretty early in the season within the slovenian team that Tadej would be more of the leader for the road race and then Roglic got the TT spot.

I think the little criticism there is not about whether Roglic deserves the spot, but if he should maybe have indicated his back problems were quite bad and let someone else have the spot.

Because he was clearly not feeling good in the road race so that sounds not promising for the TT either.

Tadej, by this point, would not even want to take his spot. He is super tired.

Pogacar will DEFINETELY always get a place on the national team when he wants. He will not have to wait on Roglic to retire before that...They will BOTH always have priority on other slovenian riders as it stands. And rightly so. Pogacar has 2 Tour wins, LBL, Tirreno and so much else.

Thinking he needs to wait for Roglic to retire to be the national leader is laughable.
Also I guess they should generally get 2 spots at the worlds already and they can just qualify for 2 spots in the ITT for the next Olympics too?

Has this Rog vs Pog for the TT spot been a thing in Slovenian media by the way? Or is this mostly down to our own little corner of the internet?

AFAIK and up to this point no. One former cyclist made a remark about Roglič in general after the RR and media did pick that up by giving him space. Otherwise media is more or less neutral.

P.S. The internet mob on the other hand is a bit more feisty. Most of it being a typical fan talk depending of who is your favourite.

@Tinnekeisabella

IMHO both Roglič and Pogačar will always get a spot in national team in foreseeable future. I never claimed otherwise.

What i said is if there will be a situation where there will be only one spot available, like TT, claiming it's a given Pogačar will and should always get it.

I don't buy that. If they wouldn't be able to communicate it then let the national TT race decide on who gets it.

As for Olympics 2021 TT spot. It was given to Roglič and it is up to him to make of it whatever he wants to make of it. He doesn't need to apologise for it. It would be a shitty move if he would have lost the spot after RR.

TRENDING THREADS