• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 224 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As for Itzulia Basque Country 2022. Personally, from Rogla, i expected to see a great first and last stage. In between i was hoping for Rogla to not lose time and to be tucked somewhere in the back. ITT was executed perfectly and overall i didn't detect any worrisome deviations from what i thought the overall plan A was. Kuss surprised me a bit on the last stage. In retrospect maybe Rogla just looked a bit more tired then usually. Or better maybe i detected that a stage or two too early.

All in all he likely just needs some much deserved rest now. In addition we are spoiled a bit. We just assume he will win them all. But the reality is nobody wins them all. When it comes to week long stages i am happy he won PN. Hopefully he will do good at La Flèche Wallonne. If tired and as far as i am concerned he can skip LBL.

He was massaging that leg during the stage yesterday already. And today he even decided to show the problem to Mas. And Mas chose a hands on approach :tearsofjoy:

On another note, if the issues does not improve in the next week he should skip FW and LBL (maybe race Fleche, but definitely not LBL). Then recover before the big block of Tour prep in late May.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
That expression is only for stage actors, singers etc. It is NOT to be used in cycling and horse racing :(.
I’m sure @CyclistAbi wasn’t aware of that. I know I wasn’t. I was sure it was used for wishing someone good luck in general but luckily, because I never understood the point/origin of this phrase, I never used it…

edit: just googled the origin - it makes so much more sense now:)

Last edited:
Primoz Roglic has decided that being the new Contador was not enough.

Being injured after the fact after losing, he is also striving to be the Rafael Nadal of cycling.

Wut?

Please refer me to all those times where Nadal blamed an injury for a lost match. Then I can dig up all the times he evidently was injured but didn't refer to that in a post-match interview without being directly asked and we can compare.

Pain face

FP7BGZSXsAQ0tA4

FP7c5dyWQAg7agU

Last edited:
  • Wow
65978649.jpg

Information is rather sparse but from the local news Rogla said a muscle behind his knee is causing some pain and uncomfort on the bike and is affecting his performance. The symptoms to be there around a week prior to the race. I assume it's a hamstring injury/strain he caught on training. In that case some rest indeed should help to resolve the issue. The article mentions Vader too. Didn't know he was injured that severely. Hope for both to get well soon.

65978649.jpg

Information is rather sparse but from the local news Rogla said a muscle behind his knee is causing some pain and uncomfort on the bike and is affecting his performance. The symptoms to be there around a week prior to the race. I assume it's a hamstring injury/strain he caught on training. In that case some rest indeed should help to resolve the issue. The article mentions Vader too. Didn't know he was injured that severely. Hope for both to get well soon.
So that's why I saw him touching his thigh constantly these last days. No wonder then. Rest and be well <3

Now this makes sense: no slow form building but muscle discomfort. He had a good form (as signalled by the TT) but couldn't deliver during longer stages. I think his fans should be calmer now, the stomps will be back!

I still don't understand why Rog even finished the race if this is the case, whilst also riding pretty hard as well on the final climb (he didn't just throw in the towel, he kept riding at a steady pace). I mean top 10 is pretty much worthless.

I guess we'll find out more at Flèche. It's only 10 days, so not long to wait.

I still don't understand why Rog even finished the race if this is the case, whilst also riding pretty hard as well on the final climb (he didn't just throw in the towel, he kept riding at a steady pace). I mean top 10 is pretty much worthless.

I think he wanted to help Vingegaard as his discomfort wasn't threatening his futher race participation. If it was just that and he fully recovers then he should fight for victory at Fleche.

I think he treated this race as a training block.

But that said I wonder how long before Itzulia he got this injury cause if it was a while and he kept training then he may need a bit of a longer resting period. That said from the sound of it it probably didn't start until just before Itzulia.

I also think Jumbo might have been hesitant to have the GC leader pull out fo the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Fans should be fine. Rogla did stomp a bit on Krabelin. For Vingegaard and for the fans. On why he didn't abandon the race. Likely he didn't want to let his team down. Rogla usually doesn't exaggerate. When it comes to the injuries. When he says it was just a scratch he is basically a mummy.

Now this type of strains/injuries can take from a week or two to a month or two to properly heal. Depending if any tissue rapture is at play. I just hope that they will be realistic in assessing the time needed to heal and will act adoringly. Till Tour he is scheduled for:

• La Flèche Wallonne
  • Liège-Bastogne-Liège
  • Critérium du Dauphiné

I feel that Ardennes classics could be in jeopardy. If needed i would skip the Critérium du Dauphiné too.

As i would like to see Rogla competing for another couple of years on the highest level i feel that GT double strategy per season should get rethink too. One GT should do. Especially if Rogla would be participating in good shape and healthy. As with that half of the job is already done. If you are not 100% then the chances for win are reduced drastically. Competition today is just too strong for being able to win if you are not 95% or up.

I think he treated this race as a training block.

But that said I wonder how long before Itzulia he got this injury cause if it was a while and he kept training then he may need a bit of a longer resting period. That said from the sound of it it probably didn't start until just before Itzulia.

I also think Jumbo might have been hesitant to have the GC leader pull out fo the race.
For slovenian media he said it was the last week before Itzulia. I hope it's nothing serious and that we will see him stomping again as soon as possible.

Reactions: Red Rick
A silver lining maybe, to have all this happening now instead of in June/July.

Problem might be that this injury/pain will probably have an influence on his preparation for the Tour de France.

Until end of July, he plans to race Fleche, LBL, Dauphine and TdF, and between those will be in training/altitude camps. To be able to do this program, Primoz has to be 100% healthy and pain-free.

At the latest from the day after LBL until the start of the TdF, every day counts. He will meet a 100% healthy Pogacar at the TdF - a Pogacar that will be even stronger than the Pogacar of July 2021…

Praying for a miracle now. The miracle that also let MVDP compete this spring, after everyone thought he wouldn‘t race before May 2022. Primoz now needs a miracle like this.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS