• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 293 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And here is the Slovenian anthem:

Živé naj vsi naródi,
ki hrepené dočakat' dan,
da koder sonce hodi,
prepir iz svéta bo pregnan,
da rojak
prost bo vsak,
ne vrag, le sosed bo mejak!

I would post an English translation but i didn't find any that i liked. There is more to it but the gist of it.

Let there live all nations that come together in peace.

• Love
Reactions: noob
There is a place on this forum for your crap, take it there.
Not sure where that was coming from, was just a slightly tongue in cheek comment as every time I checked this thread recently there was something about doctors being against Rogla racing. Nothing meant beyond that, of course it's too early to tell how he will go for 3 weeks.

We don't really learn anything about his condition today.
We didnt? I saw him taking multiple pulls and being on the winning team, this is not bad at all. Furthermore, this is a TTT where you put some big strains on your body (especially the back), and that seemed like no problem.

I said Remco was my favorite - after today, and after what I have heard from Kuss, Roglic himself etc. - Roglic is my definite favorite. He seems ready.

We didnt? I saw him taking multiple pulls and being on the winning team, this is not bad at all. Furthermore, this is a TTT where you put some big strains on your body (especially the back), and that seemed like no problem.

I said Remco was my favorite - after today, and after what I have heard from Kuss, Roglic himself etc. - Roglic is my definite favorite. He seems ready.

For shorter efforts it's easier to ride through the pain but I suspect there have been some exaggerations from Jumbo Visma anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Roglic is a capable spinner and could avoid excess strain. Unless you hit a long straight most everyone should be maintaining a higher cadence to handle transitions. I have no video coverage...was it pretty well managed? The gaps between teams would suggest the top Three rode well.

In the local article i linked yesterday Rogla said the condition in regards to his health is currently much better then it was. He recovered. Still feels it a bit. But as now he is here and as he came to this race that means he is ready. In the next days and weeks we will see what that means.

Today after stage 1 he said:

Primoz Roglic: "It’s a great feeling. I think it’s well deserved. It was really nice to be out today with huge crowds and with my guys. Everyone did a perfect job, so we were enjoying. My condition is good enough to win today. I’m super happy about it. It was a pleasure today, the guys did a really great job. Twenty days more to come. [Robert Gesink crossed the line first to be the first leader] because he deserves it. He’s the one that deserves it the most, it’s a pleasure racing for so many years with him. I started with him in the team, he taught me a lot and it’s nice to win as the home team with a home rider."

All in all for now we can be cautiously optimistic. In regards to his injury and preparations done. But the bulk of the effort is still to come.

Great performance today by Rogla and his team. I enjoyed it. Gesink to take the jersey and not to drop Kuss. Gaining a healthy dose of seconds against competition.

Superb.

Last edited:

If Roglic wasn't feeling good he would've been sitting on the back like Kuss and later Oomen were. It's a bit scary that JV's about 4th best TTT squad won so easily with all 8 riders still there.

• Wow
Roglic is a capable spinner and could avoid excess strain. Unless you hit a long straight most everyone should be maintaining a higher cadence to handle transitions. I have no video coverage...was it pretty well managed? The gaps between teams would suggest the top Three rode well.
Got to see highlights and JV was balanced and disciplined. Horner's analysis was pretty much on; JV rode to what appeared to be smooth average and avoided any Ego pulls that cause those problems. Roglics posture and cadence looked fairly relaxed for the TTT effort they all used.
Reading Remco's report of their strategy it was telling that they hadn't thought what might happen to the poor sucker trying to get a draft off of him in the #2 spot when he was taking those long pulls. Julian can explain it to them....bad place to be when the aero positions vary that much from rider to rider.

Here's an interesting article in wielerflits regarding Jumbo micromanaging its support riders & their ambitions in the team: Strijd in de tweede lijn van Jumbo-Visma wordt heftiger | WielerFlits

Specifically the part pertaining to Roglič next season where they're hinting he could be sent to do the Giro & then the TdF.

Wie deze dagen goed bij Jumbo-Visma luistert, hoort tussen de regels door dat het idee leeft om Roglic volgend jaar in zowel de Giro d’Italia en de Tour de France uit te spelen. “Daar gaan we pas in november naar kijken”, reageert Plugge diplomatiek wanneer deze vraag rechtstreeks aan hem gesteld wordt.

“Maar stel dat je Roglic opstelt in de Giro d’Italia”, vervolgt Plugge later. “Dan wil je er toch voor zorgen dat hij beter omringd is dan drie jaar geleden toen hij in de Giro d’Italia meespeelde voor de eindzege. Als je op alle vlakken wilt meespelen, dan zal die tweede lijn daar dus ook overal sterk genoeg voor moeten zijn.”

Tbh I don't know what to think of that yet, i.e. the Vuelta (& his performance in the race) can still have an effect on his standing. For example if he dominates this race, he'll be in a better bargaining position to avoid getting a 'super dom' assignment in the TdF which is what would probably happen if he goes to the Giro next spring.

In any case Jumbo is going to have some interesting choices to make.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Personally i don't care about TDF 2023 for now. If Rogla will go then in my opinion he will be one of the favorites. For him to win it he will need to among others beat both Pogi and Jonas. As Pogi will likely be focused on Jonas i do see an opportunity there. An opportunity that didn't exist in the past two to three seasons.

Considering the type of cyclists JV signed there is enough talent to support all 3 GTs. I would like to see Rogla to attempt Giro-Tour double. As honestly i don't believe that ATM there is any other cyclist capable of doing that. That is to perform good on both. Rogla doing Giro-Vuelta would work for me too. If he would win both then i would rate that higher then winning the Tour. All in all if he will be motivated and will train hard. Then i don't see much issues with any of the options. If there would be a sense of a feeling the team is pushing him back. Then he should consider switching teams.

As for the Vuelta 2022. Fingers crossed. Hopefully some much needed stomp on the schedule. For the fans.

Here's an interesting article in wielerflits regarding Jumbo micromanaging its support riders & their ambitions in the team: Strijd in de tweede lijn van Jumbo-Visma wordt heftiger | WielerFlits

Specifically the part pertaining to Roglič next season where they're hinting he could be sent to do the Giro & then the TdF.

Tbh I don't know what to think of that yet, i.e. the Vuelta (& his performance in the race) can still have an effect on his standing. For example if he dominates this race, he'll be in a better bargaining position to avoid getting a 'super dom' assignment in the TdF which is what would probably happen if he goes to the Giro next spring.

In any case Jumbo is going to have some interesting choices to make.
I do like the idea that having strenght in depth adds competition within the team and puts pressure on leaders to perform. However having a guy grow from backup to Dumoulin to TdF winner does require a pretty specific profile and I don't really think a guy like Kelderman fits that. Still I'm a big fan of what Jumbo is doing with giving most of their riders a shot on the occasional win.

As for Roglic to the Giro is a bit of a reach extopolating from the idea of competing in all 3 GTs. If you want to win the Tour again, it doesn't make much sense, unless you beleive Vingegaard can just clean Pogacar 1v1 no matter the route. But form balances rarely stay the same year by year.

Also Jumbo will know better than us how good Roglic was doing before his crash in the Tour and if he would've been up their with Pog and Vingegaard or not.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Personally i don't care about TDF 2023 for now. If Rogla will go then in my opinion he will be one of the favorites. For him to win it he will need to among others beat both Pogi and Jonas. As Pogi will likely be focused on Jonas i do see an opportunity there. An opportunity that didn't exist in the past two to three seasons.

Considering the type of cyclists JV signed there is enough talent to support all 3 GTs. I would like to see Rogla to attempt Giro-Tour double. As honestly i don't believe that ATM there is any other cyclist capable of doing that. That is to perform good on both. Rogla doing Giro-Vuelta would work for me too. If he would win both then i would rate that higher then winning the Tour. All in all if he will be motivated and will train hard. Then i don't see much issues with any of the options. If there would be a sense of a feeling the team is pushing him back. Then he should consider switching teams.

As for the Vuelta 2022. Fingers crossed. Hopefully some much needed stomp on the schedule. For the fans.
And why do you think Roglic would be capable at the Giro-Tour combi? As far as I know he hasn't been capable at winning just one of them on their own.

And why do you think Roglic would be capable at the Giro-Tour combi? As far as I know he hasn't been capable at winning just one of them on their own.

Mainly due to the fact he has ridden 2 GTs per season in the past 3 seasons. And he was always up there with the best. In every single one of them. Without the crashes it would be rather reasonable to expect he would podium on all of them. I don't know about any other cyclist in the peloton with such proven track record.

Said that Giro-Tour double is special. Hence if he would perform good at Giro it's not unreasonable to expect he might flop at the Tour. But if i would have to choose one and based on the past performances that would be Rogla.

TRENDING THREADS