• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

F-d! Cancellara snaps his chain, then hangs it around his neck!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
And this Tour of Flanders was the fastest ever from Brugge with an average of 43.5 km/hr.

Ha! Would not want to try and keep up with the incredible pace of the pack!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
And this Tour of Flanders was the fastest ever from Brugge with an average of 43.5 km/hr.

Ha! Would not want to try and keep up with the incredible pace of the pack!!

Wonder how Riis feels about sram now.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
AlHooKoo said:
Can anybody confirm what type of chain it was?

SRAM

max_powers said:
not very professional to stand and pose with the breakdown. professional to pick up the chain tho imo.

I don't think it was un-pro what he did, his race was over anyway. Great photo opp for the guy who was standing at the top of the climb. Besides, I think some fan/fans asked him why he was walking. Cancellara not acting pro? You must think Frank Vandenbroucke is the second coming of Jesus?:D:D:D:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It was probably the updated PC-1090R chain (allegedly with stronger pins and extra grease).
I understand the incident happened at the foot of one of the climbs. So perhaps it was Fabian's fault for not anticipating the gear he needed to start getting up it.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
Bettini snapped a Campag chain in the 2007 E3. Either chains are getting so thin that they are no longer reliable, or, IMHO, it's the fault of the mechanic who put the chain on and didn't get the pin in properly. A pro rider should never use a bike with a new chain on it, the chain should be well tested before an important race.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Pignone Fisso said:
It was probably the updated PC-1090R chain (allegedly with stronger pins and extra grease).
I understand the incident happened at the foot of one of the climbs. So perhaps it was Fabian's fault for not anticipating the gear he needed to start getting up it.

LOL:D 8 Years as a pro, and Flanders being one of his main objectives. I doubt that he didn't anticipate his gear selection of all climbs...........the Koppenberg. After all he was at the front at the time, and sure to put the pressure on.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
swiftybjb said:
Bettini snapped a Campag chain in the 2007 E3. Either chains are getting so thin that they are no longer reliable, or, IMHO, it's the fault of the mechanic who put the chain on and didn't get the pin in properly. A pro rider should never use a bike with a new chain on it, the chain should be well tested before an important race.

Brought over from the Bikes and Gear discussion

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You are right. Not all, but some pro mechanics don't deserve to be there. Those positions are almost always filled by who you know, not based completely on merit.

Although, Cancellara being the Quadzilla that he is, I'm really not surprised that he broke a chain.

Cancellara responding to why he went back for his chain: "— maybe the SRAM technical whizzes may learn something from it…” Velo News.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Brought over from the Bikes and Gear discussion

Cancellara responding to why he went back for his chain: "? maybe the SRAM technical whizzes may learn something from it?? Velo News.

They need to design chains for outboard motors ("athletes" of the 21st century).

Give me a tow rope and I can go from cat 2 to PRO in no time! Ha!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
....or bring back shaft drive!!! Ha - Haehahehahhhaaaaaaa!!!!
Image6.jpg

A

Anonymous

With thighs the size of tree trunks I'm surprised these guys don't break chains more often!

TRENDING THREADS