• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

F1 2014

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys anyone watch qualifying today? what a great session i hope this is Hamilton's year he is my fav driver. And man Kimi will be shown up this year

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Hi guys anyone watch qualifying today? what a great session i hope this is Hamilton's year he is my fav driver. And man Kimi will be shown up this year

my too,:)it depends how the riders will develop with the cars.Its unpredictable,which is great;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Isn´t there a new rule, that the in-car-computers curb the power down if too much petrol is used?
What a farce F-1 became in the last two decades. Step by step going down....

Someone remember the 80s?
Piquet overtaking Mansell and vice versa in Brands Hatch. Battles until the end with drivers almost collapsing?
They gave it all. Talent counted. Now it´s computers vs computers. Overtaking in the pit lanes only. Boring racetracks w/o long enough straights for overtaking. No more slipstream battles.
In short: What a bore to watch "racers" go in circles. Yawn...

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
I watch every F1 race. My fav is Kimi, and I despise SV#1.

I dont despise Vettel but want him to not win a 5th straight, i also cant see Kimi doing well this year a great taent and river but 34 is not old old but he is past his peak, FA is only a year younger so you could say he is old but he as been at peak for 3 years plus i think Alonso has 2 years to get his 3rd title. Kimi in 05 or 03 beats most drivers, even 07 i did not think he was as good and last year if Kimi was a great he would have outshne Gro alot more, i dont think Gro would hold a candle to Alonso or Hamilton or Vet.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
@ TANK

It´s not about who was good and when. All that matters is material (speak competitive car), and a No. 1 contract in the team.... It´s all politics and money. It´s not a sport...

achenk01

BANNED
Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
lewis hamilton champion
w.png

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Isn´t there a new rule, that the in-car-computers curb the power down if too much petrol is used?
What a farce F-1 became in the last two decades. Step by step going down....

Someone remember the 80s?
Piquet overtaking Mansell and vice versa in Brands Hatch. Battles until the end with drivers almost collapsing?
They gave it all. Talent counted. Now it´s computers vs computers. Overtaking in the pit lanes only. Boring racetracks w/o long enough straights for overtaking. No more slipstream battles.
In short: What a bore to watch "racers" go in circles. Yawn...
Yes, there is a new rule regarding fuel flow rates, this is what Daniel Ricciardo was DQ'ed for and Red Bull are contesting with F1.

It's so disappointing to see what F1 has become. No more overtaking duels, sterile racing and bland personalities. F1 needs cars that can be thrown around and driven with some flair and passion, not vehicles that require supreme concentration to just to keep on the track. All too often the winner 9 times out of 10 is the driver with the fastest car that can be kept on the track :mad:

There are no characters left like Villeneuve, Irvine, Senna, Piquet, Fisichella etc. Get some loose cannons back in the sport to liven things up at the very least.

I definitely agree that the "amount of petrol" rule is silly, even though it's pretty cool that Magnussen is second. Thing is; it was cool when he was third. It would've been cool if he'd been tenth!

I just don't understand that rule. Isn't F1 basically about driving as fast as possible?
Doesn't driving fast require petrol?

I don't know how much you're into cars, but the thing is F1 teams can easily build V10 or even V12 engines with 1000 horse power, but the point is: All teams are investing huge amounts of money into this sport, so FIA is trying to make them develop technology that will benefit everyday car production. So now we have F1 cars that use less fuel, with V6 engines, with a turbine, a whole lot of electronic devices etc.

I've been a big F1 fan for nearly 20 years and haven't missed watching many races during that time and its sad to see what the sport has become. Of course the increase in safety is welcome but I despise the way tires have to be managed and engines toned down. This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, why are the drivers not allowed to race?

I can understand why the likes of Hamilton and Alonso get so frustrated at having to only drive at 80% so their tires last the distance. These guys are almost fearless and have had some great duels in the past, if only they were allowed to carry on.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Price you got in too late. F1 was best before the 90s. And even before that the dullness begun (when Senna and Prost dominated with McLaren, when all great race circuits were step by step replaced by boring ones w/o long straights for overtaking in the name of "safety", when all that stupid rules for wheels, petrol, power and computers started to kick in). When I last saw a complete race (end of 90s), it was already less exciting than watching a 747 in flight.

When Mansell changed to CART, europe was laughing at the US circuits. But I watched it, b/c I liked Mansells give-it-all approach. I was positively shocked: Overtaking en masse, cool crashes (I must admit), 3 (sometimes) 4 wide racing (unheared of, unseen in F1 b/c of the small tracks), lead changes en masse, re-laping, and what else... Almost perfect racing. Once the US take the best (and only good thing) out of F1*, it will be perfect...

* The standing start that is.

If Wheldon didn´t die in LV, I guess deep inside everybody thinks of what a great crash that cars-flying-everywhere was. I know no one would admit, b/c of respect for the death, piety, and morality. Anyway I am honest, it was kind of "beautful" disaster....

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I was a huge fan of it throughout the 90s. There was some great characters even outside of the obvious ones with guys like Berger and Alesi. I agree with Foxxy, no one cared in Europe for the Indy and I followed all the races for a couple of years specifically because of Mansell going over there to ride for Paul Newman's team. They had some drivers back then as well, Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jnr, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mansell's teammate Mario Andretti. Michael Andretti switched over to F1 at the time to be Senna's teammate and he flopped hugely. Those were the days.

I remember Eddie Irvine saying Mansell and Hill won second rate titles on the back of technological superiority over others. I still respect Hill for his win when he was at Jordan but as the years went on with rule changes, I got completely fed up and I don't see the drivers of today with the same charisma as the ones of the previous eras.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Didn´t know Irvine talked so bad about Mansell. I mean Irvine. A 2nd tier racer who accomplished next to nothing.
Mansell OTOH was great before his F1 title in the superior Williams car.
He had inconceivable bad luck. Tires exploding in the last round, emty fuel in last round, late crashes and what else.... He certainly deserved a championship for all the things that happened before.

Andretti flopping in F1 is true. OTOH, some made it (Villeneuve, Montoya to some extend). Still, the talent level might be less in the US. OTOH, what´s it worth to have the best drivers in the F1, if the cars and No1-contracts only decide championships? Nothing!

I prefer true metal, and true racing...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Didn´t know Irvine talked so bad about Mansell. I mean Irvine. A 2nd tier racer who accomplished next to nothing.
Mansell OTOH was great before his F1 title in the superior Williams car.
He had inconceivable bad luck. Tires exploding in the last round, emty fuel in last round, late crashes and what else.... He certainly deserved a championship for all the things that happened before.

Andretti flopping in F1 is true. OTOH, some made it (Villeneuve, Montoya to some extend). Still, the talent level might be less in the US. OTOH, what´s it worth to have the best drivers in the F1, if the cars and No1-contracts only decide championships? Nothing!

I prefer true metal, and true racing...

It was in his book years back. I remember he had a regular column in The Sun newspaper while he was a driver and he wasn't pulling punches in it either.

The only thing that was anyway reminiscent of the past was a bit of the Montoya and Schumacher battles for a period. Neither of them would yield an inch and Austria one year springs to mind.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Anyone seen the movie "Rush" by the great Ron Howard?
One of the best movies I saw this year. Rate it 9/10...
And it showed me why I once loved the F-1, and why I completely stopped to even follow it on newspapers.
The safety-first-and-above-all-approach killed everything*, literally everything.
Back in the days, drivers decided... and they earned their pay with every inch of their body...

* Race tracks got cut by half, overtaking stopped completely, and else we talked about before...
I don´t favour deaths on racetracks, but the safety approach got out of hand: No more long enough straights, each racetrack looking like the other, computers help the driver in everything... basically it´s like starting and landing a 747. In between it´s machine control, and nitpicker behind a screen deciding the outcomes.

If the younger guys wanna know what real F-1 meant, they should watch this movie...
Daniel Brühl was just awesome. It´s like you watch the real Niki Lauda. And even better off are those who watch it in german language. Perfect accent imitation by Brühl.
I watched many auto racing movies. The most were complete crap (the movie "LeMans" for example was somewhat good, "Driven" OTOH was a disaster, may the worst of all). But "Rush" one is above them all. Even Lauda himself was impressed. Strongly recommended.

gooner said:
I was a huge fan of it throughout the 90s. There was some great characters even outside of the obvious ones with guys like Berger and Alesi. I agree with Foxxy, no one cared in Europe for the Indy and I followed all the races for a couple of years specifically because of Mansell going over there to ride for Paul Newman's team. They had some drivers back then as well, Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jnr, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mansell's teammate Mario Andretti. Michael Andretti switched over to F1 at the time to be Senna's teammate and he flopped hugely. Those were the days.

I remember Eddie Irvine saying Mansell and Hill won second rate titles on the back of technological superiority over others. I still respect Hill for his win when he was at Jordan but as the years went on with rule changes, I got completely fed up and I don't see the drivers of today with the same charisma as the ones of the previous eras.

Remember when Alesi was at Benetton and forgot to pit (Australia I think) despite the team holding out boards telling him to, and then running out of fuel the next lap?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Didnt make it to watch NFL today, and there was no good movie on TV, so I decided to watch*... F1 :eek:
What a great race that was... not. Boring from start to finish. It annoyed me sooo much I looked for better racing, turned to youtube... watching Indy 500 of this year. Wow, wow, wow... the final 8 laps were more thrilling than 10 years of F1. Thanks Indy, you saved my day. That was true racing. :)

* Big mistake that wont happen again. For sure... What a farce.

TRENDING THREADS