• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

F1 2014

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
search said:
it's true, yes. Although I think F1 has improved again over recent years. Things like DRS are not optimized yet, and sometimes it even is too easy to overtake now, but generally at the moment there are less boring races than like ~10 years ago.

F-1, I am off even longer. Was a big Mansell fan. But even that show became absurd when he won like 13 of 16 races. 5 races into the season I stopped. Next year I went "with him" to Indy car for good.

But I trust you 100% that F-1 races must have been even more boring 10 years ago, since they now use "Turbo boost" for show-effect over-taking. It´s so absurd.

search said:
impossible to make it if you don't have Red Bull, Mercedes or a big oil company behind you - and yes, that's definitely a big problem of Formula 1 - and unfortunately unlikely to change as long as Bernie is in charge.

Even after Bernie, nothing will change, since F-1 declared themselves as science and testing for future street car gadgets. Biggest budget /best tech wins, no matter who sits behind the steering wheel...

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Indeed tragic news regarding Jules. Very talented driver with such a bright future ahead, if not in Formula One. Certainly in Motorsport, just highlights the fragility of life within Formula One. It's no wonder his family gave very few updates on his condition.

Re: Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
Brullnux said:
Bump for the enigma that is verstappen.
They seem to have forgotten to tell some of these young guns than you can't win the race in the first corner, but you can lose it.
Or just how to drive non-GTA style. He will cause an accident if he doesn't change how he defends. It could be Sunday, Monza's long straights seem perfect to do so. He strikes me as a bit too arrogant for his own good too. After Spa he said 'when they [Ferraris] screw up my race, I'm not gonna make it easy for them', which annoys me especially considering he kind of screwed up Kimi's race, not the other way round. Vettel helped with the Kimi screw up as well. I think his move up to Red Bull came slightly too early, now he seems to thinks he's the greatest thing to happen to F1 since Senna. Reminds me of Schumi. As in would cheat to win a title.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
...I think his move up to Red Bull came slightly too early, now he seems to thinks he's the greatest thing to happen to F1 since Senna. Reminds me of Schumi. As in would cheat to win a title.
But that's Red Bull's game plan, innit? Snatch up the young talent before anyone else has the chance. Which is an ace plan, provided the young driver steps up to the challenge, a like Sebastian Vettel. But sometimes you roll the dice and it comes up Kyvat (or Verstappen).

A few years back I think it was Sir Jackie Stewart who queried why F1 teams don't employ "driving mentors" to school the young turks on the finer points of racecraft. Which made sense to me but the teams (or at least RBR) obviously think it better to leave those teenaged egos running WFO.

As for Schumi, I think he sometimes cheated purely out of habit. Remember the attempt to block Barrichello at the 2010 GP of Hungary? Twelve races into the season, Schumi without a single podium finish to his name, and neither driver running in the top 10, so whatever was motivating Schumi, it wasn't a chance to tot up #8.

Bump

So, anyone else following this whole contract debacle with Hamilton?

I'm also hoping Bottas has a better year. He's looking seriously lean and mean with his off season training, at least a couple of kgs lighter, which surely can't hurt. It looks like Tiffany Cromwell is having a positive influence.

Also looking forward to Ricciardo being back in a (hopefully) competitive car, his style is probably the closest I've seen to previous daredevils like Gilles Villeneuve and Jean Alesi. He's arguably been the one driver who pushed Mercedes as a team the most in 2014 and 2016, love his insanely late braking.

Ferrari are leaving their testing very late, hopefully they can give LeClerq and Sainz a better car than last year, both are ridiculously talented.

I also hope Gasly continues his mission to make Christian Horner eat humble pie, loved his win last year and sick of the pandering to Verstappen. Marko and Horner's handling of Gasly in 2019 was unnecessary and brutal.

Reactions: Cookster15
Just heard about it (contract debacle) yesterday and was laughing. Did he somehow miss we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic and companies are cutting advertising dollars and laying off employees, etc, etc, etc.
On the other hand, Mercedes, Petronas and Ineos haven't lost revenue either. It's a distasteful amount of money, but I guess Hamilton wants to remind everyone where he is in the pecking order.

For sure.

I can't help but wonder what will happen if Hamilton doesn't sign. Is Russell free to transfer at this late stage? Do they try to poach a test driver like Albon? Is Bottas up to the task of primary?

There are some drivers still that don't have full time rides or rides at all as well they could get. They move a test driver of their own up as well. May not be a top driver they would prefer, but there are plenty of drivers still looking for opportunities. Depending they likely could pay a team for a driver's contract and still be well under what Hamilton is asking for as well, as crazy that is. I'd think a recent former F1 driver who doesn't currently have a ride somewhere or a test driver is likely who they'll go after. It's definitely an interesting situation as the team is in a much better place in contract negotiations at this point.

TRENDING THREADS