• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fabulous Fantastic Floyd Fondo

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
i've never done a gran fondo and likely never will. but, if i did, i'd really like to go to this one... i still like Floyd and think he would be a hoot to ride with.
Me too, can't wait. I've already got a test patch on my nuts.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
TrackCynic said:
It's not any worse, but it's just as bad. There is a seam of hypocrisy by some Clinic members that it was OK for Pantani, Vino and some others to dope. In my eyes they are all cheats.
Did Pantani or Vino bring cycling to its knees, tear off a giant scab and throw flaming gasoline into the wound? I don't think so.

mennonite_mafia_funny_mug_humor-p168394357021936582enw9p_400.jpg

6a012875949499970c0148c7c08c31970c-400wi

thirteen said:
alas, don't have nuts myself...
You're not wearing the patch long enough. Give it time, give it time.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Pro cycling brought pro cycling to its knees, not just one man. Sure, he played his part and who knows what his motives were, but I still fail to see why it's OK to honour someone like Pantani because he was such a good climber. Following that logic, 20 years form now will it be OK to have "honorary" GFs for AC, Schleck, and Chicken Legs as they were such good climbers?

TrackCynic said:
Pro cycling brought pro cycling to its knees, not just one man. Sure, he played his part and who knows what his motives were, but I still fail to see why it's OK to honour someone like Pantani because he was such a good climber. Following that logic, 20 years form now will it be OK to have "honorary" GFs for AC, Schleck, and Chicken Legs as they were such good climbers?

Yes, I can easily see GF's for the guys mentioned in their respective countries. Perhaps it can be boiled down to entertainment or black/white.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
D&C, I think you hit the nail on the head about this whole doping-in-sport situation. Is pro sport really no different to Hollywood, in which case why not just let them get on with it? Just add a veneer of testing so that we can live in a state of denial, watch our heroes on TV, and Red Bull/Oakley/Trek/Specialized/Amgen continue to rake in the cash. For me, riding in a GF with a proven-doping rider fits into this category.

Or, is it still a sport where the best man/woman wins and we want to be pretty confident that he/she won because they had the most talent and put in the most hard work?

TrackCynic said:
D&C, I think you hit the nail on the head about this whole doping-in-sport situation. Is pro sport really no different to Hollywood, in which case why not just let them get on with it? Just add a veneer of testing so that we can live in a state of denial, watch our heroes on TV, and Red Bull/Oakley/Trek/Specialized/Amgen continue to rake in the cash. For me, riding in a GF with a proven-doping rider fits into this category.

Or, is it still a sport where the best man/woman wins and we want to be pretty confident that he/she won because they had the most talent and put in the most hard work?

I personally wouldn't engage with a blatant WWF style cycling competition (we have been very close). On the GF's, the upside of getting out there and enjoy oneself on a bike outweighs the negatives imo.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TrackCynic said:

haverford said the testing was a PR sham.

Randolph Hearst
“News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising.”
homage
Bill Moyers
“News is what people want to keep hidden and everything else is publicity.”

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TrackCynic said:

answer: you are not watching sport.

its an entertainment business, and something that has little foundation in the ethics and inspiration you were taught in appreciation of sport in your juvenile period.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
TrackCynic said:

Don't put Schleck or Ras in the same league as Alberto Contador. Ever.

Which of these three do you take seriously?

large_andy-frank-schleck-alberto-contador-tour-de-france-722.jpg

images

images

:)

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I'm a big fan of Fondo's. They are big business now. Seeing that Pro cycling has turned into a circus. In Europe they are massive. Get a lot of big names turning out.

Yes, but I'm not sure you should be happy with guys like Rumšas on the starting line....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
arjanh said:
Yes, but I'm not sure you should be happy with guys like Rumšas on the starting line....

Why so serious?

It's not a race. It's a family day out. Good food. Men and women, old and young, strong and weak all riding together. Good fun.

Lighten up. This is not Pro-mafia-cycling. It's a Fondo. The UCI can't get its filthy hands on this circuit.

thehog said:
Why so serious?

It's not a race. It's a family day out. Good food. Men and women, old and young, strong and weak all riding together. Good fun.

Lighten up. This is not Pro-mafia-cycling. It's a Fondo. The UCI can't get its filthy hands on this circuit.

There's really only one cyclist that I can envision myself remaining as disgusted as some of my fellow forum-ites are with Landis 6-7 years after the events came to light. I am just not built to carry that sort of negative energy for that long. It requires an effort. I'm lazy.

ggusta said:
There's really only one cyclist that I can envision myself remaining as disgusted as some of my fellow forum-ites are with Landis 6-7 years after the events came to light. I am just not built to carry that sort of negative energy for that long. It requires an effort. I'm lazy.

Fondo are super fun. Rode many in my time. Met so many great people whilst taking 7 hours to finish a ride.

I say good luck to Floyd. I'm sure he'll get great support from the participants on the road.

Its about time the US had a decent GF without all that charity BS.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

Well, quite a few of them are. But, yeah, 99% of the participants are just doing it for fun. And this includes, fortunately, quite a few ex-pros.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
TrackCynic said:
It's not any worse, but it's just as bad. There is a seam of hypocrisy by some Clinic members that it was OK for Pantani, Vino and some others to dope. In my eyes they are all cheats.

Must have missed this. There may be a couple of fools who excuse Vino but most think he is a chemical invention. Don't assume that everyone here shares the same opinion.

Floyd's event looks awesome. 2 days of great riding. Competitive and fun, just what the sport needs

TRENDING THREADS