• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fake Twitter account

If you see something tweeted by me or any reference to a twitter account: ignore it. Or report it.

Someone has set up an account using my name and identity as a "Journalist and Cycling News forum moderator", so I assume it has been done by someone who has been banned from the forum.

That person has used the identity to post on a number of forums and blogsites, including at least one with which I do not want to be associated.

I am in touch with Twitter about this.

Susan

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Huh. Well, as much as I can sympathize with your predicament, (and I'm completely serious about that, as I am sure it's rather unpleasant) I can't help but instantly compare this somewhat to the Race Radio vs Joe Papp debacle. Is this much different?

In that scenario, some allegedly unscrupulous behavior took place outside of this forum, but it was most certainly spawned from within this forum. And yet we are not even allowed to discuss the specifics of that (or even the generalities, as it turns out).

But here you are asking (and completely within reason) for others to assist you in something that has occurred outside of this forum and really doesn't affect the rest of us directly.

Is it just me, or is there some hypocrisy in all of that?

Susan, you'll just have to take me at my word here. I'm not trying to be mean or insensitive to what you've been confronted with. But the above perspective is the first one that pops into my mind.

Thoughts?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What does this have to do with the forum? Majorly off topic or will people start listing out every account they have seen with their name used by someone else here from here on out?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Huh. Well, as much as I can sympathize with your predicament, (and I'm completely serious about that, as I am sure it's rather unpleasant) I can't help but instantly compare this somewhat to the Race Radio vs Joe Papp debacle. Is this much different?

In that scenario, some allegedly unscrupulous behavior took place outside of this forum, but it was most certainly spawned from within this forum. And yet we are not even allowed to discuss the specifics of that (or even the generalities, as it turns out).

But here you are asking (and completely within reason) for others to assist you in something that has occurred outside of this forum and really doesn't affect the rest of us directly.

Is it just me, or is there some hypocrisy in all of that?

Susan, you'll just have to take me at my word here. I'm not trying to be mean or insensitive to what you've been confronted with. But the above perspective is the first one that pops into my mind.

Thoughts?

Thank you for writing out EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Crappy thing for someone to do. Especially if the person is associating your name with racist sites. If I created a fake Susan Westemeyer account, I would limit my activity to cycling sites and only comment on which riders had the best butts and which podium girls had the finest breasts. Except on on the eve of RvV, when I would tweet about an upcoming story where Bjarne Riis admitted to having sent Cancellara to Ufe. Good wholesome fun. But G57 raises a good point. If we can discuss this fake account, why not discuss the allegations that Joe Papp sold RR's identity to the slimiest bidder? Pretty similar stuff actually.

pedaling squares said:
Crappy thing for someone to do. Especially if the person is associating your name with racist sites. If I created a fake Susan Westemeyer account, I would limit my activity to cycling sites and only comment on which riders had the best butts and which podium girls had the finest breasts. Except on on the eve of RvV, when I would tweet about an upcoming story where Bjarne Riis admitted to having sent Cancellara to Ufe. Good wholesome fun. But G57 raises a good point. If we can discuss this fake account, why not discuss the allegations that Joe Papp sold RR's identity to the slimiest bidder? Pretty similar stuff actually.

hear hear!
FuturePub taking the low road :mad:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Yes, because there is reason to believe it is forum related.

How are they going to post on the forum with a fake twitter account? Again, if anyone else is identity thieved they can then post it here with not problem right?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ok, i read the thread and the responses to susan's original post and, after some hesitation, decided to post my opinion...

firstly, i agree and fully support those who insist that the joe papp vs race radio debacle was handled poorly by the cn staff. as far as i remember, susan NEVER publicly commented or expressed her personal opinion on that situation probably because it was handled by her boss dan benson

secondly, i do feel that the connection between the above and what susan posted is not as flawless as some may have expressed. again, this is my own reading of the immediate situation and i do not pretend to know the whole picture and the latest developments re. rr vs joe p., but here are my reasons as to why the 2 situations are different...

susan, unlike rr, posts here under her REAL NAME (btw, many claim to know rr's real identity, i don't and never cared to find out). her own name susan uses both as a cn staff journalist and as the cn forum head mod/admin. so, any web-wide false impersonation of susan affects both this forum head admin and the cn staff member.

what she did - posting a warning on the cn platform about someone stealing her professional (cn) identity - is perfectly reasonable. to suspect someone unhappy with her moderation seeking a revenge is just as reasonable.

btw, i have been in susan's shoes... (will omit the details). but again, mocking our cn handles vs our real identities is all the difference !

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Hindsight being a wonderful thing..

Would it not make sense to register the twitter id SusanWestemeyer to prevent this? Even if you don't use it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
python said:
what she did - posting a warning on the cn platform about someone stealing her professional (cn) identity - is perfectly reasonable. to suspect someone unhappy with her moderation seeking a revenge is just as reasonable.

Making a big deal about it here is only going to make it escalate into who knows how many fake accounts on who knows how many sites/services. Keeping it on the down low would of probably accomplished much more and made the faker just quit out of sheer boredom. Now they have a game to play. Once again the troll out does the trollee.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Making a big deal about it here is only going to make it escalate into who knows how many fake accounts on who knows how many sites/services. Keeping it on the down low would of probably accomplished much more and made the faker just quit out of sheer boredom. Now they have a game to play. Once again the troll out does the trollee.

It is acutally a common thing on twitter and easily resolved. Plenty of famous and no so famous people on twitter have had their names used and those who are not who they say they are get deleted.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
If you see something tweeted by me or any reference to a twitter account: ignore it. Or report it.

Someone has set up an account using my name and identity as a "Journalist and Cycling News forum moderator", so I assume it has been done by someone who has been banned from the forum.

That person has used the identity to post on a number of forums and blogsites, including at least one with which I do not want to be associated.

I am in touch with Twitter about this.

Susan
How do we know that the twitter account is not the real you and someone has hacked your CN account to post the above?

TheGame said:
Hindsight being a wonderful thing..

Would it not make sense to register the twitter id SusanWestemeyer to prevent this? Even if you don't use it.

don't agree. I think some of these sites are crap and I don't think people should be forced to spend their own time and give them extra users, to preempt possible trolling. If I found out your name and registered it on a Justin beiber fansite would you kick yourself for not having done so earlier ;)

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
don't agree. I think some of these sites are crap and I don't think people should be forced to spend their own time and give them extra users, to preempt possible trolling. If I found out your name and registered it on a Justin beiber fansite would you kick yourself for not having done so earlier ;)

If you can find a Justin Beiber fansite I'm not already a member of, good luck to you ;)

I could registeer at twitter as susan westemeyer, and someone else could use westemeyer susan, s.westemeyer, CNWestemeyer, and so on. Too many variations to register them all. Plus I am not the only susan westemeyer in the world.

The blogsite to which I objected was about poltical-religious conspiracy theories, definitely representing viewsnwhich I do not share.

Twitter closed the account within minutes of my challenging it.

Susan