Familiar Phrase

May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
i am no sure whether or not Astarola's numbers were any different than others, but it does seem he was a sacrificial lamb to justify that blood passport works.
 
Jun 30, 2009
367
0
0
I know, I love this phrase. It's like being asked if you ever committed a crime and replying "Well, I've never been to jail."
 

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
376
1
0
Benotti69 said:
i am no sure whether or not Astarola's numbers were any different than others, but it does seem he was a sacrificial lamb to justify that blood passport works.
Indeed. "Hey, look, we're sanctioning a retired rider who was all but a confirmed doper! Bio passport is working!"
 
Yes, fining and suspending a rider like Astarola over some biopassport vagaries years after the fact really is doing a lot to clean up the sport.

Who's next on the UCI hit list, Massimo Podenzana?
 
Oct 25, 2010
3,049
2
0
Berzin said:
Yes, fining and suspending a rider like Astarola over some biopassport vagaries years after the fact really is doing a lot to clean up the sport.

Who's next on the UCI hit list, Massimo Podenzana?
He musta missed a payment to Pat, or forget to send a photo of his sliced-hand for the yearly Omerta renewal.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
hrotha said:
Regardless of the biological passport politics, I'm glad Astarloa couldn't just retire with a relatively untarnished name. The Milram thing wasn't enough for my tastes.
i imagine his numbers were pretty much the same as others and less than dodgy than some in 2009, but an easy target;)
 
Apr 13, 2010
1,238
0
0
jimmypop said:
Sanctions for Tom Simpson imminent
Sorry to disappoint you - they have Vriijman on it.

They have asked him to conclude that Simpson wasn't doped and that's it was a French conspiracy based on a misunderstanding he was American.

Furthermore they'd like to announce Simpson's estate has graciously agreed to donate 5... no, 10... ah, well some unknown, undisclosed amount to the Verdrucken-McSquid Fairness Pond.
 
Jul 6, 2010
2,340
0
0
Berzin said:
Yes, fining and suspending a rider like Astarola over some biopassport vagaries years after the fact really is doing a lot to clean up the sport.

Who's next on the UCI hit list, Massimo Podenzana?
Shhh... You're going to bum out Pat. Look how hard they're working...
 
sartain said:
Take down his monument?
They're going to take samples of it to see if it comes up positive for performance-enhancing granite.

But because so many people have handled the monument, he'll probably get off on a technicality, the type an unscrupulous lawyer can hang his hat on.
 
Them jokes are funny and all, but I don't see what's the problem here. Astarloa retired in 2009. As in, last year. As in, yesterday. Meanwhile, most of us are advocating retroactive testing and digging up stuff from the early 00s.
 
Nov 9, 2010
295
0
0
jimmypop said:
Indeed. "Hey, look, we're sanctioning a retired rider who was all but a confirmed doper! Bio passport is working!"
And more important, this shows UCI isnt protecting any riders! Hurray!
 

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
376
1
0
biopass said:
And more important, this shows UCI isnt protecting any riders! Hurray!
Win-win-win; clean sport, nothing to see here folks!

I like how they fined someone who didn't receive a salary, with full knowledge that he wouldn't have to pay the fine since the team didn't pay salaries.

To call this insubstantial is irony through understatement.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY