• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Familiar Phrase

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i am no sure whether or not Astarola's numbers were any different than others, but it does seem he was a sacrificial lamb to justify that blood passport works.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i am no sure whether or not Astarola's numbers were any different than others, but it does seem he was a sacrificial lamb to justify that blood passport works.

Indeed. "Hey, look, we're sanctioning a retired rider who was all but a confirmed doper! Bio passport is working!"

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
Yes, fining and suspending a rider like Astarola over some biopassport vagaries years after the fact really is doing a lot to clean up the sport.

Who's next on the UCI hit list, Massimo Podenzana?

He musta missed a payment to Pat, or forget to send a photo of his sliced-hand for the yearly Omerta renewal.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Regardless of the biological passport politics, I'm glad Astarloa couldn't just retire with a relatively untarnished name. The Milram thing wasn't enough for my tastes.

i imagine his numbers were pretty much the same as others and less than dodgy than some in 2009, but an easy target;)

jimmypop said:
Sanctions for Tom Simpson imminent

Sorry to disappoint you - they have Vriijman on it.

They have asked him to conclude that Simpson wasn't doped and that's it was a French conspiracy based on a misunderstanding he was American.

Furthermore they'd like to announce Simpson's estate has graciously agreed to donate 5... no, 10... ah, well some unknown, undisclosed amount to the Verdrucken-McSquid Fairness Pond.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
Yes, fining and suspending a rider like Astarola over some biopassport vagaries years after the fact really is doing a lot to clean up the sport.

Who's next on the UCI hit list, Massimo Podenzana?

Shhh... You're going to bum out Pat. Look how hard they're working...

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
And more important, this shows UCI isnt protecting any riders! Hurray!

Win-win-win; clean sport, nothing to see here folks!

I like how they fined someone who didn't receive a salary, with full knowledge that he wouldn't have to pay the fine since the team didn't pay salaries.

To call this insubstantial is irony through understatement.

TRENDING THREADS