• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fancy Bears hack ADAMS system

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
glassmoon said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-struggling-over-legality-of-naming-operacion-puerto-athletes/
I guess RM, FCB, Nadal etc. are the reason of WADA hesitation...
Fancy Bears, you know what to do :)

WADA already said last season that it was X number of cyclists and Y number of track&field guys. No one else.
oh. i bet they did... imagine they would've said xy number of pro football players from RM/FCB or certain high profile spanish tennis player. :rolleyes:

Yes, another review to add to the 326 other ongoing reviews :lol:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/39654790

British Cycling has announced an independent review into its medical practices after it was criticised as part of an anti-doping investigation.

Last month MPs heard a doctor who received a 'mystery package' for Sir Bradley Wiggins in 2011 had no record of his medical treatment at the time.

British Cycling has now asked the English Institute for Sport's director of medical services, Dr Rod Jaques, to conduct a review.

He is expected to report in June.

Dr Jacques has already started work and will examine the medical and physiotherapy teams' practices. He will carry out confidential interviews with staff and look at resources, management and record-keeping.

"We've commissioned an external expert to scrutinise our existing processes and procedures and to make a series of recommendations on how we can improve," said British Cycling's people director, Michael Chivers.

Both the national governing body and road racing off-shoot Team Sky were heavily criticised for lax record-keeping at a Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee hearing in its inquiry entitled 'Combatting doping in sport'.

Microsoft are no fun... :rolleyes:

Last year attorneys for the software maker quietly sued the hacker group known as Fancy Bear in a federal court outside Washington DC, accusing it of computer intrusion, cybersquatting, and infringing on Microsoft’s trademarks. The action, though, is not about dragging the hackers into court. The lawsuit is a tool for Microsoft to target what it calls “the most vulnerable point” in Fancy Bear’s espionage operations: the command-and-control servers the hackers use to covertly direct malware on victim computers. These servers can be thought of as the spymasters in Russia’s cyber espionage, waiting patiently for contact from their malware agents in the field, then issuing encrypted instructions and accepting stolen documents.

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each. Once under Microsoft’s control, the domains get redirected from Russia’s servers to the company’s, cutting off the hackers from their victims, and giving Microsoft a omniscient view of that servers’ network of automated spies.

“In other words,” Microsoft outside counsel Sten Jenson explained in a court filing last year, “any time an infected computer attempts to contact a command-and-control server through one of the domains, it will instead be connected to a Microsoft-controlled, secure server.”

Historically, Fancy Bear has mostly targeted Windows with its malware, and has leaned heavily on Microsoft products when choosing domain names—thus giving Microsoft standing in the lawsuit. On Friday, after months of litigation and thousands of pages of filings, a judge in Alexandria, Virginia is scheduled to hear Microsoft’s motion for a final default judgment and permanent injunction against Fancy Bear.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/microsoft-pushes-to-take-over-russian-spies-network?via=twitter_page

thehog said:

Last year attorneys for the software maker quietly sued the hacker group known as Fancy Bear in a federal court outside Washington DC, accusing it of computer intrusion, cybersquatting, and infringing on Microsoft’s trademarks. The action, though, is not about dragging the hackers into court. The lawsuit is a tool for Microsoft to target what it calls “the most vulnerable point” in Fancy Bear’s espionage operations: the command-and-control servers the hackers use to covertly direct malware on victim computers. These servers can be thought of as the spymasters in Russia’s cyber espionage, waiting patiently for contact from their malware agents in the field, then issuing encrypted instructions and accepting stolen documents.

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each. Once under Microsoft’s control, the domains get redirected from Russia’s servers to the company’s, cutting off the hackers from their victims, and giving Microsoft a omniscient view of that servers’ network of automated spies.

“In other words,” Microsoft outside counsel Sten Jenson explained in a court filing last year, “any time an infected computer attempts to contact a command-and-control server through one of the domains, it will instead be connected to a Microsoft-controlled, secure server.”

Historically, Fancy Bear has mostly targeted Windows with its malware, and has leaned heavily on Microsoft products when choosing domain names—thus giving Microsoft standing in the lawsuit. On Friday, after months of litigation and thousands of pages of filings, a judge in Alexandria, Virginia is scheduled to hear Microsoft’s motion for a final default judgment and permanent injunction against Fancy Bear.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/microsoft-pushes-to-take-over-russian-spies-network?via=twitter_page
Somehow this will come back to bite Microsoft in the ass, as it usually does when they try to "fix" things...

Only next time the ire of Fancy Bears will be directed at Microsoft and their upper echelon employees. :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ebandit said:
....no-one appreciates malware...............

..so fancybears was less about cleaning up sport.......more about making $

..with that resume they could be part of the olympic family

Mark L

How did Fancy bears make money?

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
thehog said:

Since August, Microsoft has used the lawsuit to wrest control of 70 different command-and-control points from Fancy Bear. The company’s approach is indirect, but effective. Rather than getting physical custody of the servers, which Fancy Bear rents from data centers around the world, Microsoft has been taking over the Internet domain names that route to them. These are addresses like “livemicrosoft[.]net” or “rsshotmail[.]com” that Fancy Bear registers under aliases for about $10 each.
The description of the lawsuit sounds laughable: Microsoft has taken back 70 domain names which contain 'microsoft' or 'hotmail', by claiming trademark infringement?
And 70 domains x $10 each to create = deprive Fancy Bears of $700 worth of domain registrations ?

Kind of like the recording industry suing kids for illegal downloads of .mp3 ... utterly ineffectual, and backfires by not grasping the scale of the problem
Obviously there's more to it than just taking back domain names. Taking back these names render the "command and control" servers useless which they used to automatically ping victims with malware. Did you not read the article? It goes into even more detail in the story but if all you got was a comparison to the record industry suing kids then you missed something...

Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
ebandit said:

Mark L

I was wondering the same thing....

Fancy Bears code will be targeting conventional computers and mobile devices like yours and mine. Apart from targeting aerospace, defense, energy, government, media etc for payment, Fancy Bears also earn money via credential harvesting your personal and other data and selling it on to criminals for all sorts of uses.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

samhocking said:
Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:
ebandit said:

Mark L

I was wondering the same thing....

Fancy Bears code will be targeting conventional computers and mobile devices like yours and mine. Apart from targeting aerospace, defense, energy, government, media etc for payment, Fancy Bears also earn money via credential harvesting your personal and other data by selling it onto to criminals for all sorts of uses.

As the fanboys always say, " you got proof of them doing this?"

Let us see it.

Fancy Bears have been operating since 2008. Read up about Sofacy and APT 28 which is who they're more commonly known by. Also read up about XAgent Malware which is their baby. No evidence needed, they are already very well known.

XAgent basically Steals Passwords and Backups. Previously been used to infiltrate Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux devices too and now iPhone etc.

Fancy Bears is not a rigid group of people sat in front of computers hacking WADA. Fancy Bears is simply a name derived from the coding system used to identify their code hacking computers. In Fancy Bears case they are most likely linked back to the Russian military intelligence agency, but same hackers could be linked back to anyone paying them or simply a group holding hacked people to ransom or auctioning their hacked data and services on the dark web.

More loosely, Fancy Bears are known under many names. Tsar Team is a recent one where they hacked plastic surgeries, stole the before and after photographs of patients (famous ones mostly), then demanded a ransom directly to the patient in order to not publish the picture on the internet. They also demanded £300K penalty fee from the plastic surgery for having poor security and if that wasn't paid they will upload all photographs to the Dark Web and auction the photos to make the money instead. It's simply selling illegal data and ransom be it Russian Governemnt paying you to do it or using the Dark Web to sell it themselves. They're not doing this for free, what would be the point, they could be earning hundreds of thousands a year working legally for cycber security firms instead most of them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
Fancy Bears have been operating since 2008. Read up about Sofacy and APT 28 which is who they're more commonly known by. Also read up about XAgent Malware which is their baby. No evidence needed, they are already very well known.

XAgent basically Steals Passwords and Backups. Previously been used to infiltrate Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux devices too and now iPhone etc.

Just like cycling and doping;

No evidence needed, they are already very well known. :D

Eyeballs Out said:
Cookster15 said:
Does not matter to me if Fancy Bears reveals the truth or not until they reveal stuff on Russian athletes or cyclists I don't care. Seems obvious to me Fancybears exists to act as as diversion from Russian doping. Look over there!
And rightly so because "over there" is where everyone should be digging
Quite right. The same Fancy Bears exposed Hillary Clinton's e-mails - asking us to look "over there". No-one else was looking, but thank god that exposed her evils. Imagine if that hadn't happened. Unthinkable.

Parker said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Cookster15 said:
Does not matter to me if Fancy Bears reveals the truth or not until they reveal stuff on Russian athletes or cyclists I don't care. Seems obvious to me Fancybears exists to act as as diversion from Russian doping. Look over there!
Quite right. The same Fancy Bears exposed Hillary Clinton's e-mails - asking us to look "over there". No-one else was looking, but thank god that exposed her evils. Imagine if that hadn't happened. Unthinkable.

I would still like to see any proof of that, I dont buy anything CIA says without proof, the are no worse or better than the FSB

topt said:
Parker said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Cookster15 said:

I would still like to see any proof of that, I dont buy anything CIA says without proof, the are no worse or better than the FSB
Here you go: http://time.com/4600177/election-hack-russia-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

Parker said:
topt said:
Parker said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Cookster15 said:

Here you go: http://time.com/4600177/election-hack-russia-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

got anything new; crowdstrike owner is a member of NATO pr firm atlantic council; no coincidence what so ever

Parker said:
topt said:
Parker said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Cookster15 said:

TIME magazine has been a front for the CIA since the 1940's when it was owned by Henry Luce. Try again!

Of interest was the booing of Gatlin in London and whether the US takes action? This sort of thing gets discussed by the CIA. For example, I have a suspicion that Travis Tygart was under pressure to ping Armstrong for political reasons. In so much as nearly every athlete Tygart had caught hitherto was of a certain ethnicity. Armstrong balanced the books in that regard. As I say, this is the sort of thing that gets discussed in the corridors of American power.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Cookster15 said:
I'd say it exists because Putin got the hump that his athletes were the only ones exposed and sent the executive order through to expose everyone possible. It wouldn't be a diversion because everyone knows the Russians are doping already its more a tactic to expose the hypocrisy or to get information which if exposed would discredit athletics big time if leaked to press. That information would fast track Russia back in.
I do think the ban on Russia was probably right once the information was out there but wouldn't like to be the decision makers with an angry Putin holding a grudge.

buckle said:
TIME magazine has been a front for the CIA since the 1940's when it was owned by Henry Luce. Try again!

Of interest was the booing of Gatlin in London and whether the US takes action? This sort of thing gets discussed by the CIA. For example, I have a suspicion that Travis Tygart was under pressure to ping Armstrong for political reasons. In so much as nearly every athlete Tygart had caught hitherto was of a certain ethnicity. Armstrong balanced the books in that regard. As I say, this is the sort of thing that gets discussed in the corridors of American power.
This is how Trump and Brexit happen

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Russian Hackers Release Stolen Emails in New Effort to Undermine Doping Investigators
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/sports/olympics/russian-hackers-emails-doping.html

Made the first page of the New York Times sports section, wow !

merlin_132064991_d554f58f-e716-4399-9810-016065d821d4-master768.jpg

Typical NYT "new effort to undermine doping investigators." LOL. Because McLaren, Reedie, Oswald, and Schmid are there to 'investigate' and 'keep sport clean and fair.'

NYT, the same newspaper (Judith Miller) that was in bed with the Bush administration and pushed for the Iraq War which killed well over one million innocent people, drove millions others from their homes/country, helped to further destabilize the region, make way for new terrorist groups, ensure oligarchs get their money and pave way for American troops (for oil)??

No thank you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/sports/olympics/russian-hackers-emails-doping.html
Some antidoping officials said that while the hackers might have intended to embarrass or expose them, the information only underscored their efforts to disentangle the jobs of sports officials — who are tasked with promoting competitions and making them profitable — from the work of drug-testing officials working to root out cheating that damages the brand image of those competitions.

“If anything it shows what we’ve said since Day 1 of our existence: You can’t both promote and police,” Travis T. Tygart, the chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, said Wednesday. “You have to have independent organizations handling antidoping operations.”