• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fantasy Vuelta

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Hi,

Do you mean the login on the site or the link I posted?

Are you getting any message or is it just not letting you log in?

I registered ok, via the e-mail confimation. Then I tried to login. This is what I'm getting:
Invalid Nick/Password
Try again or request that a new password be sent to your registered email address.
You are not logged in!
Tried to send a new password and I got "select error".

Having said all that, not a big deal. I'm in other games anyhow.

There's something horribly wrong with the points system.

50 points for 9 people and a scoring system which rewards excellence means you should be looking to get as many top riders as possible and then pad out the last few places with 1 point riders.

Sadly they made everyone so cheap it just turns in to pick whoever you want.

Frank Schleck for 5 points in a system where the average budget is 5.55?!?!?1

Nibali at 3 points?

Laughable.

The value of a rider is worked out on the basis of their points return in previous years - Menchov as a 2 time Vuelta winner, Giro winner and TDF podium guy is going to be worth a lot more than FS who has yet to finish on a GT podium and has I think 2 stage wins, Nibs for example before the Giro had done nothing to make him more than a 3 point rider. Values change by season rather than race.

I'm afraid we have to work within the coding of the game, but if you think the scoring is out of whack and can take advantage by assembling a super-squad for next to nothing then go for it. :)

Don't forget that points are awarded for stages (places 1-15), GC, Mountains and Points.

Mrs John Murphy said:
The value of a rider is worked out on the basis of their points return in previous years - Menchov as a 2 time Vuelta winner, Giro winner and TDF podium guy is going to be worth a lot more than FS who has yet to finish on a GT podium and has I think 2 stage wins, Nibs for example before the Giro had done nothing to make him more than a 3 point rider. Values change by season rather than race.

I'm afraid we have to work within the coding of the game, but if you think the scoring is out of whack and can take advantage by assembling a super-squad for next to nothing then go for it. :)

Don't forget that points are awarded for stages (places 1-15), GC, Mountains and Points.

Even if you've decided to use a mechanistic system to award points so are constrained in the rankings of riders, you could upweight everyone, or lower the spending limit.

I was looking forward to sifting throught the (not alphabetically or cost sorted) list and looking for cheap hidden gems.

However, the spending limit of 50 is just not a binding constraint with these rider prices - it's like playing pcm with an unlimited budget, just a bit dull.

Apologies if this is a bit strong, hopefully there's some semi constructive feedback in there somewhere - I was just expecting a game where I wouldn't be able to pick 9 big name riders.

To be fair, I think this is the way the game is coded (and the code was originally designed for cricket).

Also, don't forget that it depends on the field - for example a number of 'high value' riders aren't riding the Vuelta - ie Contador, Boonen, Evans, Basso, Sanchez, because they aren't riding it is easier to fill your roster with 'good' riders.

All constructive criticism is welcomed, but just to note that we're not professional coders and the game is only supposed to be a bit of fun.

If you've ideas the best place to mention them is either in an email to Noel or on the forum attached the game.

A

Anonymous

i will prob do the velogames one again as thats the one everyone i know uses, despite its slow updating during the tour de france

TeamSkyFans said:
i will prob do the velogames one again as thats the one everyone i know uses, despite its slow updating during the tour de france

Well, I can say that the game I posted the link to does update promptly cos I'm the one who does the updating of the results :)

To be fair, there is not reason why people can't play multiple games - I do the cobblestone game, I did the cycling-gambler one as well.

Cool.

No Country for Old Dopers:

RAB Denis MENCHOV (12) RUS N/A 0
SAX Andy SCHLECK (6) LUX N/A 0
CEI Luis Leon SANCHEZ GIL (2) ESP N/A 0
LIQ Vincenzo NIBALI (3) ITA N/A 0
EUS Igor ANTON HERNANDEZ (2) ESP N/A 0
SAX Fabian CANCELLARA (6) SUI N/A 0
CTT Thor HUSHOVD (7) NOR N/A 0
GSS Tyler FARRAR (5) USA N/A 0
RAB Oscar FREIRE GOMEZ (6) ESP N/A 0

Although not sure whether the Schlecks will do what they did last year and quit after 4 stages to prepare for the Worlds. Always the problem with the Vuelta, who is taking it seriously and who is using it to train.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I am going to give it a try.

Classic Velo:
Denis MENCHOV (12) RUS
David MONCOUTIÉ (4) FRA
Ezequiel MOSQUERA MIGUEZ (5) ESP
Carlos SASTRE (10) ESP
Xavier TONDO VOLPINI (1) ESP
Alessandro PETACCHI (6) ITA
Philippe GILBERT (3) BEL
Frank SCHLECK (5) LUX
Joaquin RODRIGUEZ OLIVER (4) ESP

Mrs John Murphy said:
No Country for Old Dopers:

RAB Denis MENCHOV (12) RUS N/A 0
SAX Andy SCHLECK (6) LUX N/A 0
CEI Luis Leon SANCHEZ GIL (2) ESP N/A 0
LIQ Vincenzo NIBALI (3) ITA N/A 0
EUS Igor ANTON HERNANDEZ (2) ESP N/A 0
SAX Fabian CANCELLARA (6) SUI N/A 0
CTT Thor HUSHOVD (7) NOR N/A 0
GSS Tyler FARRAR (5) USA N/A 0
RAB Oscar FREIRE GOMEZ (6) ESP N/A 0

This just goes to show how messed up the point costs are. The Velogames points were screwy for the TdF but this is ridiculous.

Why? Instead of saying the scoring is out of whack tell us how it should be worked out.

Who should be at what value especially given the way the game is scored? What should the formula be?

The reason why the likes of Anton, LLS and Nibs cost so little is because generally they don't score very many points. They don't finish high up on GC, they don't rack up loads of points. Nibs' value of 3 reflects his performance upto this year. I am sure next year he will cost more.

Canc costs what he costs because he often ends up in Yellow for several days. Sprinters cost more because of they tend to score points on a more consistent basis. Climbers generally only really rack up the points with a strong GC performance (something until this year that LLS and Anton have failed to do).

Menchov costs (12) as much as he does because of his Giro performance last year - GC, Stages, points and mountains, if he were riding Contador would cost 13 points.

Without being rude it's very easy to sit on the sideline and say 'that is ****' but it'd be more helpful if you could tell us how and what you want changed. It's meant to be a bit of fun.

GC after 9 stages.

An impressive performance so far from 'The HC'

17 USA The HC 427
56 IRL MovieStars 379
304 ENG Come on Tom!!! 253
306 USA Classic Velo 253
338 Jesus-Christ-Yo-Han 243
347 USA MajesticMoose 239
389 HMC No Country for old dopers 223

TRENDING THREADS