• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FAO Darryl Webster - re Tony Doyle

Darryl, I was listening to the Armstrong debate on BBC 5 live last night. Being the BBC they have to be "impartial" and so had a "hater" debating with a "fanboy".

The fanboy was going for it. It was a masterclass. We had witch hunt, the French, never tested positive, most tested athlete in history, Floyd and Tyler are bitter with no credibility, USADA don't have authority. It was like he had a checklist of quotes.

It then turned out the fanboy was no other than Tony Doyle. I was extremely disappointed. As a kid in the early 90's with road and track aspirations I looked up to him. And here he was spouting this rubbish.

It then became clear why. He admitted he is friends with LA and has worked with him throughout his career through Nike.

Sad. Very sad.

Now his obvious lack of morals on this point has got me wondering. Is Tony Doyle yet another childhood inspiration for whom I need to put an asterix next to his performances?

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I heard Tony Doyle on 5 Live. I suppose you can't expect a friend to stick the knife in but he'd have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tony Doyle has always been an obnoxious arrogant ****. He would ride up to young emerging racers in breaks and say 'you're sh*t, you'll never amount to anything, I'm off, see if you can keep up'. An odious excuse of a human being.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Pmsl . Riding behind Tony the stink...and I do mean stink that came of him was mind boggling ...and it certainly wasn't caused by curries.
Everyone...and I mean everyone in uk cycling knew full well what Tony was up to .
Last I heard ,his very dodgy " helper" Angus had to do a runner from Scotland to evade supply charges .

An utterly disgusting individual , recently Chairman of the Olympic Delivery Board for the London Borough of Southwark.

Sais it all really . :rolleyes:

Darryl Webster said:
Pmsl . Riding behind Tony the stink...and I do mean stink that came of him was mind boggling ...and it certainly wasn't caused by curries.
Everyone...and I mean everyone in uk cycling knew full well what Tony was up to .
Last I heard ,his very dodgy " helper" Angus had to do a runner from Scotland to evade supply charges .

An utterly disgusting individual , recently Chairman of the Olympic Delivery Board for the London Borough of Southwark.

The same Angus that was involved with a certain current team general manager and some time tv commonator? Seems like cycling really is 2 degrees of separation!

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
The same Angus that was involved with a certain current team general manager and some time tv commonator? Seems like cycling really is 2 degrees of separation!

Ah, that's a new one on me bobbins, I,l have to make some enquiries ( slips on Sherlock Holmes Deer stalker and gives Watson a call ) :)

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Houndbike said:
Didn't he have the shortest tenure as president of British Cycling Federation too under some very unusual circumstances?
He did indeed get into a very big legal dispute with the then BCF. The legal costs all but bankrupted the BCF . Never did fully understand what it was all about.

Darryl Webster said:

Please stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!

Darryl Webster said:

Thanks Darryl. How sad to read though. Can't believe I didn't know any of this.

That leaves Colin Sturgess as the "last man standing". Sigh.

Darryl Webster said:
He did indeed get into a very big legal dispute with the then BCF. The legal costs all but bankrupted the BCF . Never did fully understand what it was all about.

I seem to remember - going back a few years - it was one of those "he said, she said" disputes.

He tried to highlight a lot of financial mismanagement and cronyism within the BCF (i.e. suppliers used were closely related to board members etc), and I think an audit did confirm that the books were extremely poorly managed.

They argued that, as a consultant for Sport for TV, he had conflicting interests as President of the BCF in relation to organising the National Track championships or something. As a result they tried to have him removed as President, though I understand he survived the vote at that point.

More than one rotten apple in that orchard.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Thanks Darryl. How sad to read though. Can't believe I didn't know any of this.

That leaves Colin Sturgess as the "last man standing". Sigh.

Rest assured Colin was/ is the real deal. I had the pleasure of seeing Colin ride soon after he moved to Leicester ( my home town ) from South Africa as a Junior.
On an old 1960,s Chrome track bike with mudguard size clearances he was simply the most awesome sight I ever saw. Wiped the floor with everyone for all but the Junior Sprint National tittles with times as fast or faster than the seniors.
When he won the Worlds Pro Pursuit I had a celebration cake made for his arrival home. We often trained together on the long Wednesday group rides. Never beat me in 10 mile TT though :D
I'm FB friends with him and though I cant repeat here what he has to say he saw things at ADR that would make ya hair stand on end.
A genuine guy who has been through the mill a bit since he retired..another victim of the dark side.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Rest assured Colin was/ is the real deal. I had the pleasure of seeing Colin ride soon after he moved to Leicester ( my home town ) from South Africa as a Junior.
On an old 1960,s Chrome track bike with mudguard size clearances he was simply the most awesome sight I ever saw. Wiped the floor with everyone for all but the Junior Sprint National tittles with times as fast or faster than the seniors.
When he won the Worlds Pro Pursuit I had a celebration cake made for his arrival home. We often trained together on the long Wednesday group rides. Never beat me in 10 mile TT though :D
I'm FB friends with him and though I cant repeat here what he has to say he saw things at ADR that would make ya hair stand on end.
A genuine guy who has been through the mill a bit since he retired..another victim of the dark side.

....hair raising things at ADR?...another victim of the dark side?...pray tell...

Cheers

blutto

blutto said:
....hair raising things at ADR?...another victim of the dark side?...pray tell...

Cheers

blutto

I think it's for Colin to say what he did or didn't see. As far as I know this is as much as he has said about the topic:

"CS*Unfortunately I have seen a lot (far too much) wasted talent over the years... and I include myself in that statement. But circumstances also dictate success and decisions made are just that... I’ll leave it there!"

Darryl Webster said:

Mabe you should ask Colin what he dabbled with when he was at ADR and Tulip?
Might also be worth asking him about what he thinks his then team mate, Greg LeMond, was up to at the same time.

It's probably BS, but you seem to think he is "A genuine guy", so maybe not...

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I think this may be one of the BBC interviews referenced.
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/qt/?title=Lance+Armstrong+Analysis,+interviews+w/+David+Walsh+&+Doug+Ullman&dashboard=&id=velorooms.com/files/bbc_radio_five_live_ullman_slater_walsh_240812.mp3&yr=2012

I have yet to listen all the way through, but would love to hear Graeme Obree. Although I can not regard him as a balanced opinion, given his suicide attempts and various rather, ahem, unique ways of dealing with the vagaries of life, I still have to respect him for his cycling achievements and for just surviving in life. He's gone through a mill, he has.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
blutto said:

Cheers

blutto

Oh dear Blutto, you sad little man. Believe me I've asked the question you allude to re you know who and I'm afraid your in for more disappointment .
NOTHING, zero on GL.

Get ya head on it, GL was most likely the most naturally gifted rider of his generation and of most any generation.
That,s all there is to..now wipe away the tears and accept that not every single rider that ever pulled a jersey on and did well was a bad, N. ;)

Darryl Webster said:
Oh dear Blutto, you sad little man. Believe me I've asked the question you allude to re you know who and I'm afraid your in for more disappointment .
NOTHING, zero on GL.

Get ya head on it, GL was most likely the most naturally gifted rider of his generation and of most any generation.
That,s all there is to..now wipe away the tears and accept that not every single rider that ever pulled a jersey on and did well was a bad, N. ;)

Maybe Colin has had a memory lapse then because he had a few things to say about LeMond a few years ago.

This source of your inside info is not entirely credible......

TRENDING THREADS