• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

FAO Darryl Webster - re Tony Doyle

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
andy1234 said:
Maybe Colin has had a memory lapse then because he had a few things to say about LeMond a few years ago.

This source of your inside info is not entirely credible......

Must be the same source that said Boardman was clean at the height of the epo era ;)

The Hitch said:
WHen you said that i expected a challenge but had no idea how bad it would be.
30 seconds in - "Lance Armstrong it is fair to say is the only global name in cycling before Bradley Wiggins"

Ha ha, yeah. I missed the start last night so tried to listen again this afternoon. Couldn't do it. Got past the "global name" tosh, but had to switch off about 20 seconds into Tony Doyle talking as my blood was already starting to boil.

Did you manage to listen to the whole thing?

Roland Rat said:
Ha ha, yeah. I missed the start last night so tried to listen again this afternoon. Couldn't do it. Got past the "global name" tosh, but had to switch off about 20 seconds into Tony Doyle talking as my blood was already starting to boil.

Did you manage to listen to the whole thing?

Yeah, i didnt take doyle seriously at all, he didnt know what he was talking about himself, pausing mid sentence for no reason then changing the subject.

When asked how he knew there was a witch hunt against Armstrong, he just went on a 4 minute biography of Armstrong starting from 91, and got up to the 2002 TDF, before the interviewer interrupted him sarcastically - yeah its a great story.

The problem was the "hater" had very little idea himself and kept saying that all the witnesses were discredited dopers. Couldnt the guy do a little research before going on radio to represent the anti armstrong side.

Would laugh if the thing was replayed to doyle once the evidence comes out.

The Hitch said:
The problem was the "hater" had very little idea himself and kept saying that all the witnesses were discredited dopers. Couldnt the guy do a little research before going on radio to represent the anti armstrong side.

Yes, that was frustrating. I couldn't believe he let the "never tested positive" thing pass without a mention of 1999 or the ToSuisse allegation.

Oh well. It'll all come out eventually. And yes, I might personally email Tony Doyle when it does and ask for his updated comment.

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Darryl, I was listening to the Armstrong debate on BBC 5 live last night. Being the BBC they have to be "impartial" and so had a "hater" debating with a "fanboy".

The fanboy was going for it. It was a masterclass. We had witch hunt, the French, never tested positive, most tested athlete in history, Floyd and Tyler are bitter with no credibility, USADA don't have authority. It was like he had a checklist of quotes.

It then turned out the fanboy was no other than Tony Doyle. I was extremely disappointed. As a kid in the early 90's with road and track aspirations I looked up to him. And here he was spouting this rubbish.

It then became clear why. He admitted he is friends with LA and has worked with him throughout his career through Nike.

Sad. Very sad.

Now his obvious lack of morals on this point has got me wondering. Is Tony Doyle yet another childhood inspiration for whom I need to put an asterix next to his performances?

How is it sad to support a friend? Is that not what a normal person would do? Hardly shows a lack of morals supporting a friend!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
SportiveMad said:
How is it sad to support a friend? Is that not what a normal person would do? Hardly shows a lack of morals supporting a friend!

perpetuating a fraud isn't true friendship, at least in my book. I guess we have different definitions of the word.

SportiveMad said:
Not saying he shod turn a blind eye but until threre is sufficient evidence given then you should stick it out and support them!

1. The USADA obviously feel they have sufficient evidence;

2. How is actively promoting lies and mis-truths anything other than morally corrupt?

You know what, I can't be bothered with this. There are plenty of other threads dealing with LA. It's served it's purpose for me, i.e. the (probable) truth about another childhood inspiration.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
I'm not sure, but I think this may be one of the BBC interviews referenced.
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/qt/?title=Lance+Armstrong+Analysis,+interviews+w/+David+Walsh+&+Doug+Ullman&dashboard=&id=velorooms.com/files/bbc_radio_five_live_ullman_slater_walsh_240812.mp3&yr=2012

I have yet to listen all the way through, but would love to hear Graeme Obree. Although I can not regard him as a balanced opinion, given his suicide attempts and various rather, ahem, unique ways of dealing with the vagaries of life, I still have to respect him for his cycling achievements and for just surviving in life. He's gone through a mill, he has.

Obree was interviewed the other day on bbc 5 live and was his usual frank and honest self. A breath of fresh air.

This guy is mentaly *** . He was on bbc news "assessing" the route.. It was like watching rainman.

Question- can britain defend the tour de France.
"
Ehhh Britain got 1 2 at the 2012 tour de france , Bradley wiggins came 1st Ehhh Chris froome came 2nd ehh... There are.... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... eh ... 4 mountain top finishes....eh.... Very hard...Britain finished 1 and 2 at the 2012 tor de France... Bradley wiggins and Chris froome. Chris froome came 2nd Britain won the yellow jersey with Bradley wiggins and,.. Ehhh. Next year wiggins will help froome...its a very hard route ... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... Mark cavendish can wear the yellow jersey..Britain will want to defend the tour de France... And they have the 1 2 from this year... Chris froome came 2nd ehhh behind Bradley wiggins who came first ehhh and there are 4 mountain top finishes... So those who finish will know it ehhh."

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This guy is mentaly *** . He was on bbc news "assessing" the route.. It was like watching rainman.

Question- can britain defend the tour de France.
"
Ehhh Britain got 1 2 at the 2012 tour de france , Bradley wiggins came 1st Ehhh Chris froome came 2nd ehh... There are.... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... eh ... 4 mountain top finishes....eh.... Very hard...Britain finished 1 and 2 at the 2012 tor de France... Bradley wiggins and Chris froome. Chris froome came 2nd Britain won the yellow jersey with Bradley wiggins and,.. Ehhh. Next year wiggins will help froome...its a very hard route ... 4 mountain top finishes 2 time trials... Mark cavendish can wear the yellow jersey..Britain will want to defend the tour de France... And they have the 1 2 from this year... Chris froome came 2nd ehhh behind Bradley wiggins who came first ehhh and there are 4 mountain top finishes... So those who finish will know it ehhh."

That is hilarious! Play it over in my head with a bad accent and it gets even better ...

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Gutted!! I think he's about the only famous(ish) from where i grew up in Asghford (middX) Bobby Davro's brother had a shop called Davro's Discounts as well. I once won a signed photo of TD in a local football club raffle!! Bad to hear about his LA stance. Funny you thought he was a fanboy and then he turned out to be TD.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Tom375 said:
Gutted!! I think he's about the only famous(ish) from where i grew up in Asghford (middX) Bobby Davro's brother had a shop called Davro's Discounts as well. I once won a signed photo of TD in a local football club raffle!! Bad to hear about his LA stance. Funny you thought he was a fanboy and then he turned out to be TD.

We used to joke about TD having World Championship bands sewn onto his club jersey sleeves. Massive ego: I mean he won the World Championships but the need to remind people years later on a club run?

BTW (unrelated trivia) Bobby Davro took his stage name from the shop - it was his father's shop originally and the shop's name was a combination of his two son's names David and Robert (Bobby) :)

TRENDING THREADS