• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Farrar Out

I found this quite surprising, as it looked like he was improving. I don't think you can contest sprints if you're so terrible you need to quit the next day before the fun even starts. Did he have any new problems aside from his elbow?

hrotha said:
I found this quite surprising, as it looked like he was improving. I don't think you can contest sprints if you're so terrible you need to quit the next day before the fun even starts. Did he have any new problems aside from his elbow?

According to the CN article:

White explained that, while Farrar could overcome the pain to sprint, he paid for the effort the following day. "Sprints are easier for Tyler to get through because the adrenaline in that situation helps mask the pain.

"Today was the hardest day of the race so far and the kind of climbing and descending these guys did is incredibly painful for an injury like Tyler's. Having to brake on the descents is probably the most painful thing to do with a broken wrist.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/farrar-out-of-tour-de-france

Yeah, I just read that and it looks like the fun had definitely started already. Seeing him sprinting with the best I assumed his wrist would be in a better condition, but I guess this kind of stage is the worst for a wrist injury. My bad.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
From Stage 4 of Cadel's Tour Diary (http://www.cadelevans.com.au/cadelsdiary.aspx)

"In the final, the sprinters had their day through the round about riddled run in, with 'Peta' coming up with the impressive goods again. Nice to see reliable lead out guy Julian Dean making use of his chance and finishing second. He is normally committed to Tyler (Farrar's) interests. My hard man award of the Tour start goes to him - because of his wrist injury, he rode all of yesterday, one handed!"

I'm surprised he could stick with it so long. Talk about tough.

TRENDING THREADS