• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fascination with Riders Posting Blood Values?

What's the fascination with riders posting their own blood values? If I post on www.joepapp.com that my Hct was 44, and I include an image that looks like it's from an Excel spreadsheet showing 44 as Hct value, why would you think that I just hadn't made-up that number and posted it?

Now, if a rider was posting the data from their bio passport and it was sourced and verified by an independent 3rd party to confirm that it was accurate data and secure, ok.

But self-publishing your blood values? OK, in that case, then I am going to pick HCt of 42 from now on...

former president of the united states richard nixon said "i am not a crook" on
national tv,so yeah your point is unless something is verifiable, it's just not reality. that has to be the standard. the rules, who makes them, who enforces them, make evidence credible.the us banking industry, they said we will police
ourselves, the government need not intervene. we all know where that went.:cool:

Making up your data is risky. If the blood passport values are published and they are different from the self-reported ones, the rider looks like a doper. It's also possible that Gripper and the other blood passport administrators compare the numbers and target the rider if the values don't match.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Aapjes said:
Making up your data is risky. If the blood passport values are published and they are different from the self-reported ones, the rider looks like a doper. It's also possible that Gripper and the other blood passport administrators compare the numbers and target the rider if the values don't match.

You mean like this? :eek:

BigBoat said:
Compare the 2/4/09 crit values on the two slides:

FIRST ONE

http://www.livestrong.com/lance-armstrong/blog/tag/testing/

2nd ONE

http://www.livestrong.com/lance-arm...sting-results-to-be-posted-at-livestrong-com/

The numbers Lance is posting are not the real numbers. Maybe somebody told Lance you cant go from 39 to 45 without a blood refill so he changed it to 43. lol :)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Why would a bike racer(pro) take the time and effort to post charts and graphs that are subject to every ***@#le's evaluation. I saw where WADA can test for almost anything for between 150-500 dollars. If your pro license had 3 prepaid random tests and the results where posted online why would you need your own in house data. If WADA can do it for 500 then the real price is @350. Wiggins,Armstrong and the rest should leave the test results for the tests that count this home brew version is BS.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Joe,

Actually any values we've posted (CVV or Wiggo) can be verified by the UCI. Anne Gripper would be the most appropriate person to contact and I think the UCI main phone line is on their website.

Thanks, JV

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Even if they aren't made up the results provided so far the results provided haven't merited the fascination.

The Garmin Slipstream results given to Joe Lindsey of Bicycling were admittedly shaky due to the Agency for Cycling Ethics' sampling procedures. There was no way to know if David Millars' anomalous result during the Tour de France was legitimate or just a sampling error. Unfortunately that result was given to Bicycling after the data had been analyzed by Michael Ashenden.

The aforementioned change that was made to Armstrong's results with no explanation.

Wiggins' results were meant to show he is not doping but he also has an anomalous result during the Tour de France this year. If there is any time you don't want that kind of result it's during your best performance late in a stage race. Whoever created his blood profile charts tried to put the best face on it by roughly fitting a trend line to the data but that only makes his Tour result stick out more.

Joe makes a good point. The only real value to publishing these results seems to be public relations aimed at those who put stock in merely publishing the results. Noteworthy results don't mean that much without more information on the sample or follow-up tests. Even if the results can be verified as real, an anomalous one at a critical time undercuts the message to anybody paying attention.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
gjdavis60 said:
A photograph of a man sitting on a bench does not prove he owns a toothbrush.
Yes. But if you stare at him long enough with contempt, you begin to see how he is capable of owning that toothbrush. He should then be forced to prove he doesn't.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Yes. But if you stare at him long enough with contempt, you begin to see how he is capable of owning that toothbrush. He should then be forced to prove he doesn't.
If he opens his mouth and his teeth are rotten you have a good idea.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Even if they aren't made up the results provided so far the results provided haven't merited the fascination.

The Garmin Slipstream results given to Joe Lindsey of Bicycling were admittedly shaky due to the Agency for Cycling Ethics' sampling procedures. There was no way to know if David Millars' anomalous result during the Tour de France was legitimate or just a sampling error. Unfortunately that result was given to Bicycling after the data had been analyzed by Michael Ashenden.

The aforementioned change that was made to Armstrong's results with no explanation.

Wiggins' results were meant to show he is not doping but he also has an anomalous result during the Tour de France this year. If there is any time you don't want that kind of result it's during your best performance late in a stage race. Whoever created his blood profile charts tried to put the best face on it by roughly fitting a trend line to the data but that only makes his Tour result stick out more.

Joe makes a good point. The only real value to publishing these results seems to be public relations aimed at those who put stock in merely publishing the results. Noteworthy results don't mean that much without more information on the sample or follow-up tests. Even if the results can be verified as real, an anomalous one at a critical time undercuts the message to anybody paying attention.
+1

I would like to see Dan Martin from Catalunya to Dauphine. He had an awful drop off in "form". When form has become just a euphemism for timing one's bio-parameters in your medical program.

TRENDING THREADS