• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fast Company article: Livestrong

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
I've heard this statement a hundred times... can anyone provide a link showing this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to see where this statement came from. There's nothing in the livestrong financials indicating the funding of a private jet reserved for Lance... but I'm assuming there's some documentation somewhere showing this.

Ney the Viking said:

FWIW, The Form 990 http://www.livestrong.org/pdfs/4-0/LAF-2009-Form-990explicitly lists zero expenditure on first class travel, or chartered planes. Whether you could slip "private jet fuel" through, I don't know.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Tim_sleepless said:
kurtinsc said:
I've heard this statement a hundred times... can anyone provide a link showing this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to see where this statement came from. There's nothing in the livestrong financials indicating the funding of a private jet reserved for Lance... but I'm assuming there's some documentation somewhere showing this.

FWIW, The Form 990 http://www.livestrong.org/pdfs/4-0/LAF-2009-Form-990explicitly lists zero expenditure on first class travel, or chartered planes. Whether you could slip "private jet fuel" through, I don't know.

in the combined audit report the 2009 travel expenses total almost $2 million ($1,922,995). For comparison, the National Cancer Coalition, with 5 times as much money raised, only claimed $108,559 in travel expenses.

Race Radio said:
Tim_sleepless said:
in the combined audit report the 2009 travel expenses total almost $2 million ($1,922,995). For comparison, the National Cancer Coalition, with 5 times as much money raised, only claimed $108,559 in travel expenses.

I believe you are comparing total travel expenses at Livestrong to the head of the NCC. The NCC numbers are pretty clear but LS doesn't break them down very well. I would guess only a few people on the staff have to travel extensively at Livestrong so that number is quite high. The 108K in expenses for the head of an organization is right in line and maybe a little low.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I believe you are comparing total travel expenses at Livestrong to the head of the NCC. The NCC numbers are pretty clear but LS doesn't break them down very well. I would guess only a few people on the staff have to travel extensively at Livestrong so that number is quite high. The 108K in expenses for the head of an organization is right in line and maybe a little low.

According to this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38540813/

LAF has 82 employees. Dividing the total travel expenditure by the # of employees yields $24,305 per person. This is very high regardless of the type of foundation - or for-profit company - you're running.

I suspect this may come out of the events side of the foundation where they ship the entire yellow-wrist-band department to various events to do hand-outs and ra-ra activities for visibility - e.g Tour of California, Tour de France etc. If I was LAF's auditor, I'd classify this "program" expense as advertising, aka "LAF awareness" or as cynics will call it "Lance Armstrong awareness".

They break out the management portion of travel in the combined audit report (page 27/33) to be $83,609 - notable is that fund-raising travel is $187,680. The rest is attributed to "program" travel.

http://www.livestrong.org/pdfs/4-0/2008-2009combinedauditreport

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Tubeless said:
The rest is attributed to "program" travel.

Here is a good example of "Live like a rock star" program..... one of Livestrong's most popular "programs".

dpj0qx.jpg

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Here is a good example of "Live like a rock star" program..... one of Livestrong's most popular "programs".

dpj0qx.jpg

Interesting, I posted yesterday (And it's not here today....) about our President using AirForce one at the tune o 500K per flight to campaign for his 'democratic partners' all last week. At least 4 flights, $2Mil of our tax payer dollars.

Also big corporations using Private Jets and still being able to pay their execs MILLIONS in bonus while those same corporations continue to bankrupt the economy.

This bothers me a lot more than Lance using a private jet...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mwbyrd said:
......babbble.....attempt to high jack into political discussion
This bothers me a lot more than Lance using a private jet...

This is a cycling forum, not a politics forum.

I have yet to read anyone having an issue with Lance using a private jet....they just do not want charity contributions paying for it. Livestrong's travel expenses are absurdly high for the size of their budget. Some people would actually like to see some of the money go to something tangible....not too much to ask.

PhilChambers

BANNED
Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Tim_sleepless said:

Hi,

LiveStrong is more of an international charity than the National Cancer Coalition. It's travel expenses will reflect that.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
PhilChambers said:
Hi,

LiveStrong is more of an international charity than the National Cancer Coalition. It's travel expenses will reflect that.

this does not explain why with 20% of the revenue their travel costs are 2000% higher

PhilChambers

BANNED
Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You are kidding right? The world Tour was a series of paid appearances by Armstrong

Is this BPC again?

Don't know what the last bit means, but it was a lot more than just speeches. LAF are doing programs with governments around the world and they cashed in on the story of Armstrong's comeback. Of course they're travel expenses are going to go up.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
PhilChambers said:
Don't know what the last bit means, but it was a lot more than just speeches. LAF are doing programs with governments around the world and they cashed in on the story of Armstrong's comeback. Of course they're travel expenses are going to go up.

You mean like the Tour of Ireland or TdU?

The fact is the GCI amounted to nothing. They did even start it until after the fiscal year they spent the $2,000,000 so it would have no effect on that number.

PhilChambers

BANNED
Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
You mean like the Tour of Ireland or TdU?

The fact is the GCI amounted to nothing. They did even start it until after the fiscal year they spent the $2,000,000 so it would have no effect on that number.

Maybe that was the ground work.