• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fausto Masnada - 'King of the Mountains'

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fausto is training now at altitude on Livigno. Could mean that soon he will be at some races, because usually the altitude is the final block of the preparation after a long break. Anyway seems that he is recovered from the saddle sore problems
I was out on a ride in the Bergamascan climbs today (some of the roads used in 2021 Il Lombardia) and at the top of the Dossena climb FAUSTO was written on the road.

Your doing?

Or some unerased chalk from the 1950's?

I'm thankfully returning the bike tomorrow morning and have an injury that prevents me from running. I feel like I should get some sort of badge to have survived the craziness of the traffic down here. No wonder there are so many fatal accidents. Italian car drivers are absolute toolbags.
Yeah it's very unsafe.
And tomorrow there should be a monumental storm in the afternoon so better stay indoor.
I was out on a ride in the Bergamascan climbs today (some of the roads used in 2021 Il Lombardia) and at the top of the Dossena climb FAUSTO was written on the road.
The build up made me hope you had met the real Fausto...

Yeah it's very unsafe.
And tomorrow there should be a monumental storm in the afternoon so better stay indoor.

The build up made me hope you had met the real Fausto...
Yeah, I had hoped to have a day in Milan (where I have never been before) but it doesn't look like that makes much sense. At least the weather forecasts have been adamant the whole week that Friday would be bad.

And sorry for the false expectations ;)

Your doing?

Or some unerased chalk from the 1950's?
Wasn't me man but I wish it was. Just goes to show the passion fans have for Masnada in his home region. He is a legend of our sport. I'm not Italian and have not been in bergamo at all, even though I am quite interested not only in Fausto but also in Atalanta, which is a shame for me. Want to be there on bergamo alta cheering him to lombardia victory.

I am very jealous that you are there riding, training, climbing, enjoy, although I would be worried about Italian traffic.

Actually I fell into quite a sudden depression recently. It used to be a big obstacle for me in the years 2016-2020 but I worked a lot to improve my life and my perspectives, things have been quite good recently. So this should be very temporary. But I will try and keep myself away from excessive online activities, I go a bit over the top. So hopefully won't be active on the forum much these coming weeks, except maybe during the worlds races which I will be watching, and if our Fausto is racing I will keep here the thread active.

Have a good weekend guys.

Wasn't me man but I wish it was. Just goes to show the passion fans have for Masnada in his home region. He is a legend of our sport. I'm not Italian and have not been in bergamo at all, even though I am quite interested not only in Fausto but also in Atalanta, which is a shame for me. Want to be there on bergamo alta cheering him to lombardia victory.

I am very jealous that you are there riding, training, climbing, enjoy, although I would be worried about Italian traffic.

Actually I fell into quite a sudden depression recently. It used to be a big obstacle for me in the years 2016-2020 but I worked a lot to improve my life and my perspectives, things have been quite good recently. So this should be very temporary. But I will try and keep myself away from excessive online activities, I go a bit over the top. So hopefully won't be active on the forum much these coming weeks, except maybe during the worlds races which I will be watching, and if our Fausto is racing I will keep here the thread active.

Sorry to hear that, I hope it passes swiftly.

Some good news, Fausto will be racing soon. He finished altitude training camp in livigno and passo san pellegrino. He said he won't do la vuelta but he has a race programme laid out for the last part of the season.

Hopefully we will see him in races like dutschland tour, Slovak tour and Luxemburg tour as he builds towards Emilia, gran piemonte and Lombardia. It's unlikely the team sends him to races like Bretange classic, gp quebex, gp Montreal.

'Super happy to be back with the team, after months of waiting finally I can have fun and do my job without any problems. Thanks to soudal quickstep to support me during this period, thanks to my teammates for this wonderful camp , and 'visit val di fassa' for the hospitality.'

He was training with Jan hirt, James knoc, Peter serry and Louis vervacke.

Fausto make his comeback tomorrow on Gp Plouay/bretagne classic. He will work as part of a strong team for quickstep. Hopefully Alaphilippe has some better legs than in July, but I think there will also be Schmidt and Vansevenent as options.

Coincidentally, Pogacar recently removed gp plouay from his programme. Is he avoiding our great Fausto? Probably not but is fun to speculate. My dream is to see them have another great battle in this lombardia 2023.

Fausto make his comeback tomorrow on Gp Plouay/bretagne classic. He will work as part of a strong team for quickstep. Hopefully Alaphilippe has some better legs than in July, but I think there will also be Schmidt and Vansevenent as options.

Coincidentally, Pogacar recently removed gp plouay from his programme. Is he avoiding our great Fausto? Probably not but is fun to speculate. My dream is to see them have another great battle in this lombardia 2023.
I'm also voting on the 'probably not' option.

Quite happy with the performance today. I was expecting Fausto to play more the role of teammate in his comeback race, helping Alaphilippe and schmidd, but he was actually the strongest of the team.

On the other hand , that is not so good because it meant it was not the strongest team performance. Quickstep should not be outside the top 25 on such a race. Devenens, Senechal and cavagna disappeared early. Alaphilippe did a meme attack at 80km and then also disappeared and missed all the splits, before coming back at the end.

This meant schmidt has to do a ridiculous work volume to pull back Kung in the latter stages of the race. And it was just fausto and mauri left for the final stages in a big group.

Fausto of course couldn't help himself but to attack multiple times, how you cannot love this guy? But the climbs were more explosive, he is a bit more endurance focus. Also finding his racing legs after 4 months out. So was difficult to make a selection. Vansevent has that more explosive ability and was up there, but he seemed maybe a bit out of his depth with the distance.

I hope the team gets stronger towards the end of season classics. The boys in la vuelta to help remco have been very good, I hope fausto can get the same support.

He is always stronger after some race days, look at his past seasons and how he built form over few weeks of racing. So if there is no more bad luck, I expect good results coming up.

I hope you get better @Ilmaestro99. You are a nice guy.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99