• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Rider

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
New to this but here goes.I am shocked that we have a true king of the road in our midst and nobody has found space for him on their lists of fav/great riders.All I can say is look up the record books for one day races if you weren't around at the time.I know Eddy was stealing the show at the time but there was another great Belgian.I was racing as a junior at the time of his greater achievements and was inspired.RDV4ROUBAIX .....RESPECT!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Aside from my brother Erik, Van Looy was a racer I looked up to. Rik, Eddy and I are the only ones to have won all 5 Monuments.
Van_Looy_Rik2.jpg

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Aside from my brother Erik, Van Looy was a racer I looked up to. Rik, Eddy and I are the only ones to have won all 5 Monuments.
Van_Looy_Rik2.jpg

Thanks RDV4ROUBAIX (hasnt anyone else wondered what the 4 means!Certainly not 4 rides to the frite shop!)for expanding on my point.There were some tough belgians around at that time and some were tougher and more talented than others.5Monuments is huge.Who could do that these days.EBH????

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
luckyboy said:
Wow, you are Roger De Vlaeminck? I thought you were a fan :eek:

I don’t mean to deceive anybody by posting as if I were the real Roger, which I’m not. If you been around this forum as long as I have (not even 3 months) you would have picked up on the fact that I idolize Roger, and every once in a while I post as if I were him ( a total of 3 times out of 300+). My only claim to fame is that I’m.…hmm, how should I put this…an industry insider, which is basically a fly on a piece of sh!t in comparison to “The Gypsy”. There was only one other person here who thought I was actually him, who shall remain nameless, but that’s what I get for having the most outstanding name on this forum, IMHO of course.:D

Roger De Vlaeminck was in the shadow of Merckx throughout his entire career, no doubt about that, but a well known fact was that when Merckx was asked whom he feared the most during the Spring Classics, the answer was undeniably.....Roger De Vlaeminck.
De%20Vlaeminck%20and%20merckx2.jpg

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I thought RDV and Merckx didn't like each other, or was that only in their racing careers? I know Merckx and van Looy hate each other's guts.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Roger and Eddy got along just fine, they even trained together every once in a while. Great shot of them going out for a spin in 'Kings of the Road'. Roger and Rik are more hard-line Flandrians, where as Eddy has a more progressive view of the world. Van Looy was a different story, the old veteran not willing to accept the new talent (Merckx). I don't think anyone holds grudges though.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Roger and Eddy got along just fine, they even trained together every once in a while. Great shot of them going out for a spin in 'Kings of the Road'. Roger and Rik are more hard-line Flandrians, where as Eddy has a more progressive view of the world. Van Looy was a different story, the old veteran not willing to accept the new talent (Merckx). I don't think anyone holds grudges though.

I'm sure there was a top Flemish rider who didn't like Merckx (wasn't van Looy) because when Merckx got married, he did his wedding vowels in French which I assume is a no-no in Flanders?

craig1985 said:
I'm sure there was a top Flemish rider who didn't like Merckx (wasn't van Looy) because when Merckx got married, he did his wedding vowels in French which I assume is a no-no in Flanders?

De Vlaeminck was quoted in the press a couple of times saying some nasty things about the French language (once, I think, in conjunction with Merckx's wedding); but on the whole the De Vlaeminck/Merckx = Flemish/French rivalry was cooked up by the Belgian papers. The real version of that rivalry had been between Van Looy and Merkcx. Merckx debuted as a pro in 1965 on the Solo-Superia team, which was captained by Van Looy, and apparently there were tensions from the start. Van Looy and the other older riders would tease the young Eddy by calling him Jack Palance (whom they thought he resembled); later, when they were on separate teams, Van Looy would allegedly use negative tactics to try and prevent Merckx victories. Apparently it's thanks in part to Van Looy (who wanted to remain the only rider ever to win every classic) that Merckx never won Paris-Tours.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I don’t mean to deceive anybody by posting as if I were the real Roger, which I’m not. If you been around this forum as long as I have (not even 3 months) you would have picked up on the fact that I idolize Roger, and every once in a while I post as if I were him ( a total of 3 times out of 300+). My only claim to fame is that I’m.…hmm, how should I put this…an industry insider, which is basically a fly on a piece of sh!t in comparison to “The Gypsy”. There was only one other person here who thought I was actually him, who shall remain nameless, but that’s what I get for having the most outstanding name on this forum, IMHO of course.:D

Roger De Vlaeminck was in the shadow of Merckx throughout his entire career, no doubt about that, but a well known fact was that when Merckx was asked whom he feared the most during the Spring Classics, the answer was undeniably.....Roger De Vlaeminck.

Ah ok, I understand now. This post was what threw me...

Aside from my brother Erik, Van Looy was a racer I looked up to. Rik, Eddy and I are the only ones to have won all 5 Monuments

:)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yeah, sorry about that.:eek: I changed my "location" back to the truth: MidWest USA, instead of Kaprijke, Belgium. On a side note; I know Roger knows a few English words, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't type out sentences like this. ;)

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yeah, sorry about that.:eek: I changed my "location" back to the truth: MidWest USA, instead of Kaprijke, Belgium. On a side note; I know Roger knows a few English words, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't type out sentences like this. ;)

I thought it was pretty funny. Excellent work.

:D

A

Anonymous

RDV4ROUBAIX said:

I wrote a post a few days ago in which I poured on fanboy applause at Roger actually posting here.....then I read the post that talked about being from the same area as Eric Heiden. I put 2 and 2 together and deleted the post. However, good ruse.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

I always considered you to be from Belguim.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Lance Armstrong is not my favorite rider BUT I do have 100% respect for the guy and what he's acchieved despite the odds - I also praise him for his efforts with Livestrong

kjetilraknerud said:
I generally like riders who sacrifice themselves for the team, for example O'Grady, Sørensen, Arvesen, Gustov, Cancellara and Voigt during last years TdF, when they killed themselves at the front of the peloton one by one - just to set up their three captains for the finale. Or someone like Michael Barry or Adam Hansen, who spend the entire day at the front to reel in the break so Cavendish can win the sprint.
Im with you on that one - I like to refer to them as the heart of the team as they are the ones working the hardest

I can add to that list of favorites to include Cadel, Mick Rogers Dave Zibriski (god! my spelling is awful!) and Thor Husov

Out of all the favorites has always been Stuey O'Grady...totall and uttter commitment for the team and works his heart out time and time again! Hes had to come back from awful race accidents (I was expecting the worst after the crash in 07 TDF) which shows his courage and determination. He has a wonderfull sence of humor and is a great person to boot...champion both on and off the bike!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
favs

udo bolts-number one! erik zabel, paolo salvodelli and giuseppe guerini. strangely, i was not a telekom fan. just those riders.

i forgot Djamolidine Abdoujaparov. that guy was a nut. one of the ugliest things i ever saw was his crash in the tour.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I guess I am more a lover of the past or as some like to call a not
so distant past.

Greg LeMond the reason I started riding in the first place.
Laurent Fignon I didn't like him in '89 what a fool I was. I have nothing but
respect and admiration for him now.
Pedro Delgado if only he'd made it to the start of the prologue on time....
Gert Jan Theunisse I loved watching him break away from the peloton on the
climbs.
Charley Mottet another one I enjoyed watching climb
Andy Hampsten I loved how he dominated that climb in the snow in the Giro.

The '89 tour will forever be stuck in my head. Everything I did that July
centered around the Tour. I had watched the Tour before that but everything about it that year just seems so special to me.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm. Tough one. Of current riders.

Big George Hincapie - Excellent team rider. Will go to the wall to help his teammates win. Just ask Cavendish and Armstrong. Has had some bad luck in the one days.

Cancellara - Buried himself for Sastre's win last year. Super strong. Has done some amazing attacks but an excellent team member too. Seems classy to me.

Cavendish - Superstar. As close to untouchable as there is. I don't think he's as much arrogant and just super confident.

Boonen. 3 Paris-Roubaix wins. Losing some sprinting ability but turning into an excellent one day racer.

Andy Schleck - Superman in the mountains. Maybe only rider who can match Contador for acceleration on the climbs. Again, seems like a nice guy too.

Contador - Who know how good he can be? TT has really improved. Devastating attacker in the mountains.

TRENDING THREADS