• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Rider

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I remember watching Gert Jan Theunisse and being amazed, I think that was my 1st tour in about 88-89 and Sean Kelly was an amazing rider but would have to say my favorites were Sean Yates, he was a monster of a domestique and Laurent Jalabert who i think was a enormous talented all rounder...... shouldn't forget Abdoujaparov !!

Ok, I am going to get TRASHED for saying this, but mine is first, Mario Cipollinni and second Sean kelly. I am a sprinter and usually an arrogant buffoon, also way too big to be any good on the climbs, so I tend to like people who are like me! (LOL). Yeah, I like Cavendish, but not yet my fave. He's arrogant enough but needs some more wins before that happens. Cipollinni also actually took ten or fifteen minutes to bull**** with me when I was in Italy researching a novel several years ago.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
My favourite is definately Michael Boogerd. He was always in the front in almost every race he joined. Coloured classic finals and grand tour finals. Next to that a very nice person, he had always something funny to say after the race. You could see he just loved to cycle, a pure cyclist.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I think every Dutch cycling fan was always a Boogerd fan. :cool:

He worked his socks off, wore his heart on his sleeve and never won nearly as much as he probably should have done - dare I say it, possibly because he was clean?

Much respect!

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
First = Jens Voigt - who puts in more consistent effort from start to finish of any race or any season?

Chris Horner
Hincapie
Zabriskie

Last = LeMond - what a dingleberry he has become. He's clearly just bitter because Lance gets more media. I was never a fan, and I have followed this sport for over 20 years and watched the hype ... Davis Phinney was 1000 times better.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
only if you like dopers

Nikoloz said:
Jan Ullrich, Joseba Beloki

how can you figure this using any logical progression?

One is an east German on the sauce and the other one only had modest success before he crashed out.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
39*23t said:
what about allan pieper :cool:

Allan Pieper is a GREAT guy. Rode for 2 weeks with him in 2004 during the Tour on the Bikestyles trip. We sat on the front for hours, him talking and me trying to keep pace. Descended with him one day and Neil Stephens another day. One of the best moments on the trip was when they asked me to accompany them on their "descending ride". It was invitation only. I was very flattered.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
distant past: Coppi, Bartoli
far past: Merckx......the greatest, Fuente
near past: Lemond, Fignon, Roche, Hampsted
past: Indurain, Chiapucci, Pantani, Rominger
near present: Armstrong, Heras, Rubiera, Hincapie
present: Contador, Sastre, Di Luca

No Ocana or Bahamontes and you have Rubiera and Heras?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow there a too many to choose from....being Aussie, I have to say Phil Anderson for the olden days, Cadel, Stuey and Robbie cause they have been doing us proud....but I also like very much Voigt, Kirchen, Big Thor (as Phil and Paul call him lol),Di luca (who until the Giro, didn't think much of really) and Haussler. :)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
No Ocana or Bahamontes and you have Rubiera and Heras?

His opinion zoncolan although I disagree as well these are his favourites. You know what I'm going to start a most hated thread, I wonder how many times LA name pops up

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
His opinion zoncolan although I disagree as well these are his favourites. You know what I'm going to start a most hated thread, I wonder how many times LA name pops up

To each his own, of course. The question I raised was in relation to the guy being from Spain and picking Spanish climbers, yet leaving those two greats out.

As for the most hated, I always had a few I disliked.
Past:
Giuseppe Guerini always rubbed me the wrong way as did Stephen Roche. I can't explain why, I just never liked those two guys.
Present:
Schumacher-same as the two above, there was always something that bothered me about him. Maybe his head shape?

TRENDING THREADS