• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

favourite salutes

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
In reference to the controverse around Cavendish salute in yestarday's tour de Romandie and the article today on CN, now a topic in the forum, what are your favorite salutes.

I'll start with mine:

Knaven in Roubaix in 2001. A muddy and rainy Paris-Roubaix, Knaven comes into the Velodrome and gets out some washing powder and cleans up his shirt before he gets over the line. It''s my favourite due to his salute to the sponsor and the fact that it looks so good, completely covered in mud, with the exception of his chest.

jg01-knavenold.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
In reference to the controverse around Cavendish salute in yestarday's tour de Romandie and the article today on CN, now a topic in the forum, what are your favorite salutes.

I'll start with mine:

Knaven in Roubaix in 2001. A muddy and rainy Paris-Roubaix, Knaven comes into the Velodrome and gets out some washing powder and cleans up his shirt before he gets over the line. It''s my favourite due to his salute to the sponsor and the fact that it looks so good, completely covered in mud, with the exception of his chest.

jg01-knavenold.jpg

Bettini paying respects to his fallen brother is my absolute favorite. Unfortunately having difficulty finding a picture of it. But I'm sure you all know which one I'm talking about.

Sorry MR. Contador, but my least favorite is his "acclaimed pistola." So boring and uncreative.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Sorry MR. Contador, but my least favorite is his "acclaimed pistola." So boring and uncreative.
It may not be as much about the creativity of the salute as the rider for me.
I also liked Pantani's salutes, like his wins on Montecampione, Plateau de Beille and Courchevel, which just goes to show my point. :eek:

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
MrContador said:
It may not be as much about the creativity of the salute as the rider for me.
I also liked Pantani's salutes, like his wins on Montecampione, Plateau de Beille and Courchevel, which just goes to show my point. :eek:

I think that the fact that so many people can't stand the pistol shot makes it all the better. I think they actually like that gesture, they just have a problem with how often they see it. :D:rolleyes::D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
Who was it that pantomimed cradling a baby in his arms as crossed the line?
That, and The Running Man I always found entertaining.

I know both Samuel Sanchez and Christian Vandevelde have both done that. I'm sure others have done it as well.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:

Cradling a baby? probably a few people but i remember stephens at the tour.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
Vinokourov did it when he won the stage to Gap in Tour de France 2003.

Bo Hamburger did that baby cradling thing, when he won Fleche Wallonne in 1998, which was pretty stupid thinking of the gradient at the Mur. He almost crashed due to this, making the salute rather silly.

I'm sure he meant well, though :D

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I like Flecha's salute the best - but then a Brit would. (Maybe Cav was just channelling Flecha?)

Haussler's emotion when he won his stage at last year's TdF was great to watch. A great ride and a cool young dude.

When guys eg Pantani do/did the Jesus pose when they win a big mountain stage it can look a bit cheesy, but if you've ever got to the top of a big col, even if you took it easy, you'll know that the endorphin rush makes you feel a bit spec:D:eek:ial