• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Vuelta edition

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Least favourite : 2009
Favourite: Well I never have really followed La vuelta that closely in past years excapt last year but because I am a Menchov fan I would have to go with 2007.

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
2004 with the Santi Perez show.
The last 2 vueltas were boring with few mountains stages and no spectaple.
11 kms of Angliru is not enough in 2 years.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Kids. You're all kids :p :D

The best Vuelta edition was 1983.

Hinault was expected to win it with just one leg and in the end he finished with a broken knee fighting to death those bloody unknown Spaniards who beat him three times in the mountains

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
2001 was easily the best GT of the past 20 years.
The jersey kept getting shunted from contender to contender, everyone looked to be the best at one point, and it came down to an outsider winning it on the final weekend.

jens_attacks said:
2006 no doubt.epic recovery by vino.the two kazakh stars smashing everybody.that was awesome.

and yes,2009 vuelta was absolutely hideous.

2006 is the only edition that I've taken a major interest in (because of the Vino factor) and what a race! Brilliant team tactics on many stages by Astana and who would have thought that a GT would be decided on a descent and a long flat run in to the finish.

I even have the 8 hours or so of highlights on DVD.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
-I only take into consideration of the recent times-

Every Vuelta that had the Angliru in. Especially when it was raining that day!

2002:

AFP1.jpg

Millar abandoned 1m from the finish line as a protest at the extreme conditions of the stage (from the race report).