• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Feillu has a new fan

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
the idea that Cav can be a bit of a *** once in a while is not news

But a second tier like Feillu comparing him to Ricco? I guess Feillu knows he will get an article on CN and some space in the small brains of the haters.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
joe1265 said:
July 6, Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 158km

1st - Mark Cavendish (GBr) HTC-Highroad

54th - Romain Feillu (Fra) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team

Cav rocks - 'Nuff said!!!
Cav fans confuse me. :confused:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
the idea that Cav can be a bit of a *** once in a while is not news

But a second tier like Feillu comparing him to Ricco? I guess Feillu knows he will get an article on CN and some space in the small brains of the haters.

You need to knock off the Cav nutt hugging...haters..what are you 10 years old. You need to learn reading comprehension...tit terd!

zQ6qu.gif

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
joe1265 said:
I must be! What was the point of the original OP other than "Cav sucks"?

Cav sucks when he loses.. nonetheless he is the fastest sprinter out there.. thats what i got out of it.. didnt care too much for the blocking comment

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
joe1265 said:
July 6, Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 158km

1st - Mark Cavendish (GBr) HTC-Highroad

54th - Romain Feillu (Fra) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team

Cav rocks - 'Nuff said!!!

then again its hard to block anyone from that position.. :D

Cav is a ******. It's part of the territory. When he wins, he shoves it in your face. When he loses, he shoves it in your face. He deserves to be called out as a ******. Feillu's point is that Cav is a ******. Is he as much of one as Riccò? Probably not yet (Feillu made sure to take doping out of the equation, but Riccò the personality rubbed people up the wrong way enough for Bram Tankink to punch him out back in '08), but he's certainly got more than enough history of calling people out, whining whenever he loses.

Being the best is great and all, but it does seem that Cav has got to the stage where you feel you have a god-given right to win. He doesn't have a right to win - he still has to compete with people. People who he is better than - but that means they HAVE to try other things to beat him.

Think of it this way. If I go into battle with less men and less firepower than you, I will lose, assuming all else is equal. But if I change the territory of the fight to suit me, try unorthodox tactics (and yes, possibly ones of dubious moral nature) I have more chance of winning. If I then win the battle and go home, am I treated as scum for acting underhandedly? No, I'm lauded as a hero.

The more Cav proves himself the best in a straight sprint, the more people will be determined not to take it to a straight sprint, because they can't win in that case. And that means the more times Cav has to deal with somebody doing something other than just letting him waltz to victory. And so far he's shown that his way of dealing with that is to whine.

Besides, Cav always loses the first sprint of a GT then comes back to win every single other one, so who cares? Every flat stage from here on in will be an HTC procession.

And as for Romain Feillu saying that he would try and box Cavendish in?

If Feillu gets close enough to Cavendish to do it, something's gone very wrong with Cav's leadout.

Mambo95 said:
"If I can close him off in a sprint, I won't hesitate."

It's not exactly going against Cavendish's assessment of him as a reckless sprinter. None of the proper sprinters will by impressed by such a remark.

Wow. Cav calling someone else wreckless. I think Boonen and whoever else were injured in his collision with Haussler would have to question his audacity.

Cav has shown little respect to his opponents with the exception of Freire and Petacchi.

Cav belongs in the same league of interstellar egos as Cancellara ("Boonen is in crisis") and Andy Schleck ("Contador needs to use his head" among many other stupid statements).

Ragerod said:
I think Feillu simply wants some respect from the best, which I doubt will come any time soon. I'd imagine that Cavendish only views the other top-tier sprinters as competition and the second-tier guys as obstacles that need to be negotiated during the run-in.

Feillu is being far from respectful. He says Cav's good and then compares him with possibly the most despised man in cycling, Ricco. It's Feillu's attempt to get back at him after being called reckless.

You can respect a rider's talent but not respect them as a person. That is Feillu's point. Cav may be a wonderful teammate, but his attitude and lack of respect for some of his opponents and anyone who speaks in less than flattering terms of him is quite juvenile. For me arrogance isn't an attractive trait and Cavendish has it in abundance. He occasionally tries to come off as humble but the real Cav always surfaces when things don't go his way. Feillu is saying that Cav is fine when he's winning but when he's not, he's miserable and growling under his breath about how everyone is aligned against him. He has a serious persecution complex.

Midnightfright said:
I think by nature most sprinters need to be cocky, arrogant and sore losers. If Feillu is just saying that he is goes to make sure he gives Cav a real fight good for him that's what he's supposed to do but I at 1st thought he was implying that he was planning on going out his way to hinder him. Although Cav has all the characteristics mentioned above I think the jibe about Ricco was just getting his own back about being reckless. I think a comparison between Mario Cipo and Cav is more realistic. It appears incidents like these fire Cav up and make him perform at his best

Cipo was more about the theatre of the sprint and building himself up, not about tearing down his opponents or the media. The media loved Cipo and he loved them. Cav is not even in the same solar system as Cipo when it comes to media relations. Cipo was a virtuoso and Cav is a hack on the corner tapping out a ragged rhythm on bottom of trash cans.

Both are the greatest sprinters of their generation but let's not confuse Cav's media train wrecks with Cipo's fine orchestrations.

Angliru said:
Cipo was more about the theatre of the sprint and building himself up, not about tearing down his opponents or the media. The media loved Cipo and he loved them. Cav is not even in the same solar system as Cipo when it comes to media relations. Cipo was a virtuoso and Cav is a hack on the corner tapping out a ragged rhythm on bottom of trash cans.

Both are the greatest sprinters of their generation but let's not confuse Cav's media train wrecks with Cipo's fine orchestrations.

Well I'm glad u feel that way about Mario and his interviews but I couldnt agree less.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

Cipo also got thrown off the Vuelta once for punching another rider in the face at the sign in.
There's also video of him throwing a full bidon at a commissaire on a fast moving motorbike.

Cav has never done anything like that.

Source 1: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-5100899.html
Source 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

I've said this before, but it's worth saying again - Cav needs a bit of controversy, a beef against somebody or something, a 'the entire world is against me' attitude, to get the best out of himself.

He'll use anything and everthing to try to generate it. If it's not there, he'll create it himself.

Some sprinters prefer to be calm and go under the radar, because that's how they get the best results - see Freire. Some need to be brash and aggresive. This is Cav's way.

Usually, when the race is over and the adrenaline's gone, he's a pretty unremarkable, quiet sort of a bloke. He's said nice things about lots of the other guys before - Petacchi, Boonen, Freire, Hushovd, amongst others.

It's beyond me how people can't see this.

Just relax a little and enjoy an absolute master of his craft at work whilst he's still around.