• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Figure Skating

Kolyada with a wonderful performance again yesterday at the Grand Prix in Italy... his jumping wasn't that strong and I don't think he was very content, but I just love to watch him so much... he's got a very classic Russian style, straight forward, yet he reacts to every turn in the music so softly... oh :hearteyes:
So I was happy he got second, although the Italians might have been a bit disappointed Grassl only took third with a stunning performance... really huge talent you got there, seems like more is to come.
Yuma Kagiyama with a very controlled performance, more mature than before I'd say... still with a lot of energy. Managed to come from 7th to win. Lovely.

Grassl had very solid performances in both programs, I don't think he's disappointed considering who finished ahead of him. Kagiyama looks like the real deal going forward.

:openmouth: I was mostly talking to myself because I thought nobody was reading this thread.
Don't tell me you watch figure skating. :hushed:
I hope you smell like old fish and have the most annoying habits, otherwise I'm so going to envy your wife. :screamcat:

I was surprised when Aimoz was already on the ice again last weekend, I thought he had injured himself more seriously in before - didn't watch that event, just saw him crying in the preview picture and decided I didn't need to see that...
Then he completely messed up his jumps in the short, which was so sad because first he's always such a beautiful skater and second because that program is even more beautiful than his usual ones. Then the relief when the free skating went extremely well... of course the placing messed up, but nice to see... Hopefully he will be fine and shine in the Olympics.

I'm really worried about Hanyu, if he will be able to take part in the Olympics and if he does, if he will be in good enough form. His whole career is so full of injuries and health issues, it would be incredible if he became Olympic champion for the third time despite that - even if it's very unlikely, Chen will most likely take it, and then there are also Zhou and Shoma Uno and Kagiyama... even one of the young Russians or the Italians could, on their day, win, if the others fail...

The women's competition in Grenoble was surprisingly nice. In recent years I have started to feel rather bored or even annoyed by the women's, but that one was nice. Kostornaia is a really interesting skater, with her own way in that machine that produces Russian skater girl glory, and Wakaba Higuchi was a pleasure to watch as well.

I'm currently watching a replay of the US Championship pairs short program - ouch, Plazas and Fernandez both took a tumble while he was trying to lift her, but Plazas got the worst of it, it looked like she landed on her chin which ended up bloody. She was a trooper though and finished the program with a smile on her face - kudos to her, it looked like it really hurt! :(

• Sad
Reactions: BlueRoads
I'm currently watching a replay of the US Championship pairs short program - ouch, Plazas and Fernandez both took a tumble while he was trying to lift her, but Plazas got the worst of it, it looked like she landed on her chin which ended up bloody. She was a trooper though and finished the program with a smile on her face - kudos to her, it looked like it really hurt! :(

Did you see your new super-super talent?

I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with the figure skating stars, am just now catching up in time for the Olympics. Who is the super talent you speak of? Also, who are the stars in general I should be looking for during the Olympics?

Ilia Malinin, he's 17... there was a discussion whether he should be on the Olympic team, but in the end he's not going to be there. He had two clean programs at your Nationals, though, with four quadruples in the free skate... got the second place. He seems very, very confident and I'm not sure I like him, but I think he really has the potential to become a dominant skater because his spins and general skating skills look good as well, as far as I can tell.

I am usually quite a casual figure skating viewer as well, watching only big international competitions and paying closer attention when the Olympics come around. :D This year is one of the times when I'm drawn in a bit more by some of the stories.

Anyway, in women's the Russian girls still rule. Looking at Euros which are taking place right now it seems there's a chance though they won't get all three podium spots! Kaori Sakamoto for instance could have a chance...
In men's it's still most likely going to be Nathan Chen, I just don't believe that Hanyu manages to land his 4 Axel exactly at the Olympics, although I''m rooting for him. They both would have to really fail for the others to have any chance for the win.
The other disciplines I don't know, because I don't watch them. :(

• Love
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Ilia Malinin, he's 17... there was a discussion whether he should be on the Olympic team, but in the end he's not going to be there. He had two clean programs at your Nationals, though, with four quadruples in the free skate... got the second place. He seems very, very confident and I'm not sure I like him, but I think he really has the potential to become a dominant skater because his spins and general skating skills look good as well, as far as I can tell.

I am usually quite a casual figure skating viewer as well, watching only big international competitions and paying closer attention when the Olympics come around. :D This year is one of the times when I'm drawn in a bit more by some of the stories.

Anyway, in women's the Russian girls still rule. Looking at Euros which are taking place right now it seems there's a chance though they won't get all three podium spots! Kaori Sakamoto for instance could have a chance...
In men's it's still most likely going to be Nathan Chen, I just don't believe that Hanyu manages to land his 4 Axel exactly at the Olympics, although I''m rooting for him. They both would have to really fail for the others to have any chance for the win.
The other disciplines I don't know, because I don't watch them. :(
Thank you for the heads-up, I may actually know my way around all these figure skaters now.

Btw., will you be starting a Winter Olympics thread? Cause I loved your last Summer Olympics one! :)

Reactions: BlueRoads
Malinin did that quad axel in competition...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8gVSmWypgI
Brilliant! I suppose kids will have to start practicing quints now? :D

I'm not really sure what figure skating's competition schedule looks like and it's a bit too soon to shift into winter sports for me (I'm working on that), but I did catch a neat documentary about figure skating at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics recently. Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Debbie Thomas, and of course Katarina Witt - wow, what a blast from the past!

Not sure if you need a subscription to Peacock or if there is a zone restriction, but if not I'd recommend watching this doc to the sentimental types.

Reactions: BR2
Brilliant! I suppose kids will have to start practicing quints now? :D

I'm not really sure what figure skating's competition schedule looks like and it's a bit too soon to shift into winter sports for me (I'm working on that), but I did catch a neat documentary about figure skating at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics recently. Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Debbie Thomas, and of course Katarina Witt - wow, what a blast from the past!

Not sure if you need a subscription to Peacock or if there is a zone restriction, but if not I'd recommend watching this doc to the sentimental types.

Unfortunately it doesn't work here but thank you for the recommendation.

Bummer you can't watch the documentary. :(

What do you make of synchronized figure skating? I only just now found out this is a new thing, and while I can appreciate the difficulty much like synchro/artistic swimming I just can't see myself getting into it.

Honestly I haven't seen more than a few short cuts from synchronized skating... it didn't make me want to watch more either... I don't know why exactly. I think I like about figure skating that the personality of the individual skater always shines through... in a synchronized group it doesn't.

TRENDING THREADS