• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

File under the category: Thinks that will make you puke

May 27, 2012
Visit site
And the 2014 Winner of the coveted "You're so f**king clueless, I think you might be ***" award goes to this gem:

Q. Do you have any regrets about how the sport was managed under your leadership? What would you do differently?

Of course I have some regrets. It is always easier to see the right solution in hindsight. What would I have done differently? I would have better sold the organizers on the Pro Tour idea, but I should have done that differently. I should have had a better plan to organize a license system for the teams, like F1. The ASO promised to support the Pro Tour – I went for it, but maybe too fast. Then they reneged on me – I under-estimated the opposition of the Tour de France. That was a mistake.
Even when I first came to the FICP, I saw the big potential for cycling, and I think cycling is realizing a lot of that potential. Cycling needs a strong ruling agency in the UCI; otherwise it just turns into chaos. I know I have been accused of being a dictator, even though I always delegated things to many other people. But with its structure, its many different and often uncoordinated parties, and all of the other challenges in cycling, the sport needs a very strong and forceful leader. Maybe cycling needs a dictator.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something not quite likeable about that guy.:)

If I were to agree with him on something it would be the teams' poor economical models. Imagine if football teams folded every time a sponsor withdrew or the ridiculous notions of football clubs not sharing the tv money (do cycling teams get this cash, I don't even know?).

Anyway, Pat probably feels the same way regarding the whole dictator aspirations.