• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Filippo Pozzato's Katusha Ridley Damocles Pi

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
The Ridley Damocles and Damocles Pi could quite possibly be the best deal out of all the bikes in the pro peloton. I'm considering one for next season.

Democoles $1800USD frame/fork
Democoles Pi $2300USD frame/fork

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What makes you say that, Pietro? One's a monocoque 'sharp edge' and the other is lugged round tubes? I though that Ridley had their own factory. Or do they just paint their frames there and source overseas? Just wondering.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
What makes you say that, Pietro? One's a monocoque 'sharp edge' and the other is lugged round tubes? I though that Ridley had their own factory. Or do they just paint their frames there and source overseas? Just wondering.

Well, they aren't made in Belgium. Most of the Asian-made carbon frames(and that's not a BAD thing), are made in a few Taiwanese or Chinese factories. Giant, Scott, Ridley, some Merckx's now, some Colnagos, Pinarellos, some Treks, lots of carbon made there. Well made, cuz most all well designed.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Pietro is exactly right. Even top models that are made in house, the carbon is usually sourced from Asia. That Blue RC8 is freaking ugly though. Pietro you buzzkilled my Democoles fantasy!:eek:

LugHugger, read Chris King's article on Asia Mfg. http://chrisking.com/asiamfg

It will make you think twice about what you spend money on. When it comes to the Democoles I'm thinking strictly with my wiener:), but a great deal none the less. It's unfortunate that just about everything is made in Asia now by poorly paid workers who don't really care about high end bicycles and components. Not all, but most. Sorry James Huang, no disrespect intended.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Pietro is exactly right. Even top models that are made in house, the carbon is usually sourced from Asia. That Blue RC8 is freaking ugly though. Pietro you buzzkilled my Democoles fantasy!:eek:

LugHugger, read Chris King's article on Asia Mfg. http://chrisking.com/asiamfg

It will make you think twice about what you spend money on. When it comes to the Democoles I'm thinking strictly with my wiener:), but a great deal none the less. It's unfortunate that just about everything is made in Asia now by poorly paid workers who don't really care about high end bicycles and components. Not all, but most. Sorry James Huang, no disrespect intended.

Makes me feel suitably self-righteous about ordering my enigma elite on saturday (http://www.enigmasteel.com/elite.html)