• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Final australian worlds selection

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Graeme Brown, Robbie Mcewen, Mark Renshaw, Chris Sutton, Adam Hansen, Brett Lancaster, Matthew Wilson, Luke Roberts, Heinrich Haussler, Matthew Lloyd, Richie Porte, Cameron Meyer, Travis Meyer, Luke Roberts, Matthew Wilson, Simon Clarke

Riders left out form the worlds... Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in selection meeting!

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
bubblegum said:
no haussler!! are they freeking crazy? they could have at least named reserves :mad:

before you get all bent out of shape, you should probably read Hausler's own blog he updated on THIS website this week. He makes it pretty clear he's not neither in good enough form nor ready to hammer his knee in a serious attempt at the Worlds.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
How luckey

How lucky is Aust to have those guys to leave out, but bad luck for them too.
The final team looks pretty good to me, but if one is at home they should have left Dodger to do either the TT of the road race not both, if only cos it drops some one from their home road race. We should be able to win out of that lot.
Tactic - Evans as the rabbit in the last third of the race, then O,Grady to bang away in the last lap.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
balena said:
Graeme Brown, Robbie Mcewen, Mark Renshaw, Chris Sutton, Adam Hansen, Brett Lancaster, Matthew Wilson, Luke Roberts, Heinrich Haussler, Matthew Lloyd, Richie Porte, Cameron Meyer, Travis Meyer, Luke Roberts, Matthew Wilson, Simon Clarke

Riders left out form the worlds... Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in selection meeting!

whilst there are some good riders (and some not so good) in the exclusions, most of them are perfectly obvious, not surprsed at all. the team selected looks excellent.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Signor Corleone

As Cadel Evans is the defending champion, he is there by right.
Therefore, Australia are allowed a 10 man squad. Or have I got out of bed
the wrong side this morning and missed something?

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Signor Corleone said:
As Cadel Evans is the defending champion, he is there by right.
Therefore, Australia are allowed a 10 man squad. Or have I got out of bed
the wrong side this morning and missed something?

Wrong side. Does not apply to the road race only the TT - not sure of the rationale for that one.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Matt Goss could be dangerous. I predicted early this year he'd have a strong season but I dont see any of the other riders lasting to the end
apart from possibly Evens, Rogers but i dont see them winning.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Scratching my head on Allan Davis' inclusion. I thought the reason for excluding Robbie was that there was climbing? If that's their concern, no reason in hell to include Davis on the team.

It's pretty simple really.

Most bets are on a breakaway succeeding, but to hedge those bets, if there is going to be some sort of a sprint, we're going to need:

A) lead-out men who deal with hilly laps (that's Davis and maybe Cooke if he's still there at the end)

B) a main sprinter who can get over the hills and still have some gas in the tank
(that's Goss - in just as good form as Robbie if not better, likely will deal with the hills better, and you're not going to have two sprint leaders, so Goss is in, and Robbie's out)

meanwhile, Susan any chance you can merge all these threads? We've got the main one about the World's, then the one about Robbie not being selected, now this one.....

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
From Twitter:

Mark_Renshaw: I didn't make the selection for Wolrds RR. Very disappionted to not race on home turf and a little surprised at their selection

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nearly said:
Wrong side. Does not apply to the road race only the TT - not sure of the rationale for that one.

Unless the rules have changed,the defending champion has always been guaranteed a ride, in
addition to a full team, long before the TT was included as a worlds event in1994 when
Chris Boardman was the first winner.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
simo1733 said:
How did Baden Cooke get in the squad

This must be a joke !

Perhaps he has not so much ambition in contrast to Robbie :)
When I see Cooke in the squad now, I am 100% sure now that the nonselection of McEwen must be something on the "personal" level

Baden was selected to ride the worlds as a team mate/domestique role in support of Gerrans and Davis....McEwan as seen in the past world championships tends to ride these races for himself.(Zolder worlds McEwan and O'Grady both finished in the top 10.)None of them willing to lead each other out and win the gold...
Leaving Renshaw out I'm really confused,seems to be riding into good form.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Dewulf said:
meanwhile, Susan any chance you can merge all these threads? We've got the main one about the World's, then the one about Robbie not being selected, now this one.....

No thanks. The main one about the Worlds has become a discussion of the Hour Record somehow...

TRENDING THREADS