• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Finally a reasonable sentence

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Major Taylor said:
Look at what you have to be caught doing to get a reasonable sentence. He was speeding while on LSD and drunk as hell with several priors.

If you kill someone in California while driving drunk (and have multiple priors for DUI) the sentence is Life in Prison with the earliest possibility of parole in 15 years.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
If you kill someone in California while driving drunk (and have multiple priors for DUI) the sentence is Life in Prison with the earliest possibility of parole in 15 years.

About time. I could never understand this country's tolerance for drunk driving.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
About time. I could never understand this country's tolerance for drunk driving.

The drunks scare me - it is a great law, but I have been run off the road while riding by truck drivers who were stone cold sober and knew exactly what was being done. :mad:

Martin318is said:
http://www.theage.com.au/national/cyclists-death-13-years-jail-for-drunken-driver-20091214-ksai.html

First time in ages that I have seen a motorist get a close to acceptable punishment for killing or injuring a cyclist. We have seen so many cases go past where the driver has been on a mobile phone, doing makeup, etc I had given up hope that the courts would take car vs bike incidents seriously...

I ride past the accident site every Saturday morning. It happened about 2 minutes from my girlfriend's fathers place. She was on her way there at the time the incident happened, and saw the car. Horrific.

TRENDING THREADS