• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fines & Jail for Law Breaking Cyclists

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe the Victorian government in Australia should be heading the handing out of suspensions for doping. In reaction to a pedestrian death in the infamous "Hell Ride", the following punishments have been implemented (from The Age):

Cyclists who kill or seriously injure pedestrians face up to five years in jail or a $68,000 fine under a safety crackdown by the Victorian Government.

From today, there will be tougher penalties for dangerous riding offences and for cyclists who damage property and flee.

Previously, cyclists who rode dangerously or carelessly or failed to stop after damaging property faced fines of between $340 and $570.

Roads Minister Tim Pallas said the new measures were in response to community concerns.

"These new penalties will help police tackle reckless riding by cyclists and reduce the likelihood of pedestrians, other cyclists or drivers suffering serious injury," Mr Pallas said.

"We're driving home to cyclists the need for them to obey road laws or be punished. There are now harsher consequences for what are serious offences."

Mr Pallas said the laws put cyclists on a similar footing to motorists when it came to being charged with serious traffic offences.

Other new penalties include a maximum fine of $13,610 and/or 12 months in jail for dangerous riding, and a fine of up to $567 or up to 14 days in jail for damaging property and failing to stop.

What are your thoughts?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If one were cycling and had an accident that damaged property, wouldn't said cyc;ist be laying on the ground injured? Or do you ride by and grab something or carry an object to destory something and keep on riding?

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I think its great that the Gov't is laying down the law to cyclists, god forbid the Police spend any time doing things like... oh I don't know.... maybe catching the thugs assaulting exchange students.

Cyclists are a soft tagret for politicians to pick on. Raise the fee for speeding or add some new speed cameras and then you'll hear some *****ing.

elapid said:
Other new penalties include a maximum fine of $13,610 and/or 12 months in jail for dangerous riding, and a fine of up to $567 or up to 14 days in jail for damaging property and failing to stop.[/I]

What is the definition of "dangerous riding"?

I don't get why the fine and jail times for dangerous riding are about twenty-five times higher than damaging someone's property and leaving.

This is just nothing but idiotic political posturing in response to a high profile incident. What's pathetic and sad is that the hundreds of fatal automobile accidents that happen every single day are just accepted as part of life and noone gives a good Goddamn about it. Oh well let's punish some cyclists to make ourselves all feel better about our pathetic existences.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
don't see them implementing bigger fines for motorists who force into the gutter, even when there isn't one. Isn't that dangerous driving, oh sorry, i forgot, we don't count

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
What are your thoughts?

Sad, very sad. Fortunately Australia has many laws, most of which are not enforced and those which are enforced, generally, backwards.

BroDeal said:
What is the definition of "dangerous riding"?

Exactly. I presume they'd have do prove intent or a sufficient level of carelessness to get a conviction. Good luck with that.

BroDeal said:
I don't get why the fine and jail times for dangerous riding are about twenty-five times higher than damaging someone's property and leaving.

+1. Good luck finding someone to give you a justification though. We're determined to cut green house emissions, yet encouraging cycling (beyond 300 metre long cycle ways that start and end in peak hour traffic) is a thought they can't come to terms with.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Draconian

Draconian law, sadly typical of our government.

I am a regular cyclist, it's my number one method of transport, and have never cycled recklessly or dangerously.

Since Pallas' "announcement", I have already been targeted by motorists and verbally abused by pedestrians.

Shameful behaviour, encouraged by Pallas' short sightedness. Particularly disappointing given the work that local cycling organisations have undertaken in order to improve conditions for cyclists, especially on - road, in my area (Melbourne, Australia's western suburbs).

I take it Pallas or members of his family (if he has one) don't ride or have never ridden a bike?

TRENDING THREADS