• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fingerless gloves with no padding

I dislike wearing gloves, they really fatigue my hands. I have some full finger roubiax liners and neoprene overgloves that only get worn if it's so cold I can't feel my fingers or for constant rain.

However, I think some fingerless gloves with no padding would be a good idea, if I can find any.

I know Rapha do the Pro team mitts that have very little padding, but I don't want to pay £50 for a pair of gloves.

Any suggestions?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Why do you think fingerless gloves with no padding would be a good idea, especially if you dislike wearing gloves? One study showed that wearing gloves results in a significant drag compared to wearing no gloves. If you're comfortable and happy wearing no gloves, then I don't see why you would want to change.

Re:

elapid said:
Why do you think fingerless gloves with no padding would be a good idea, especially if you dislike wearing gloves? One study showed that wearing gloves results in a significant drag compared to wearing no gloves. If you're comfortable and happy wearing no gloves, then I don't see why you would want to change.

Mainly if I crash but also some protection from the cold. Currently I have to rotate my full fingers on and off to balance temperatures when it's cold out (5 degrees and downwards) and it's a bit of a faff.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
That makes sense. I wear both half-fingered and full-fingered (as well as lobster) gloves depending on the temperature. Unlike you, I actually quite like the padding on my half-fingered gloves, so unfortunately I cannot help with any recommendations. Oh, wait ... thinking out of the box ... why not cut the fingers off another pair of the full-fingered gloves you like?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A lot of mtb gloves are unpadded but also tend to be long fingered. sailing gloves are unpadded but often quite heavy leather.

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure what level of warmth (if any) you're looking for, but I really like the Giro Zero gloves. Though they appear to have redesigned them slightly, I don't know how the new version feels.

Re:

kuoirad said:
I'm not entirely sure what level of warmth (if any) you're looking for, but I really like the Giro Zero gloves. Though they appear to have redesigned them slightly, I don't know how the new version feels.

Thanks, they have turned up in searches but not found any for sale, I'll have a better look.

elapid said:
That makes sense. I wear both half-fingered and full-fingered (as well as lobster) gloves depending on the temperature. Unlike you, I actually quite like the padding on my half-fingered gloves, so unfortunately I cannot help with any recommendations. Oh, wait ... thinking out of the box ... why not cut the fingers off another pair of the full-fingered gloves you like?

The full fingered gloves I have wouldn't be suitable to cut but it's a good idea, I'll have a look and see what's out there.

twothirds said:
I'm not a fan of wearing gloves either, but I do for crash protections sake. I also ride track, so having a good firm grip on the bar without any squishy padding getting in the way is important. I go full finger, non padded, perforated, motorcycle gloves. The Icon Pursuit.

Mine are white.

Thanks very much, these could be a good option as long as they aren't too warm?

Master50 said:
A lot of mtb gloves are unpadded but also tend to be long fingered. sailing gloves are unpadded but often quite heavy leather.

Yeah, my MTB gloves are full fingered and have a very small amount of padding on the palms and I accept it as I do crash that fairly regularly, I'll see if I can find any I could cut off.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I've never had any problems with the gloves being warm at all, but YMMV. I've done two hour rides with them in humid summer climes. The perforations really let the wind through and being leather with no textile or padding, they don't retain much heat at all.

Re:

twothirds said:
I've never had any problems with the gloves being warm at all, but YMMV. I've done two hour rides with them in humid summer climes. The perforations really let the wind through and being leather with no textile or padding, they don't retain much heat at all.

Had a look, they're probably a bit too pricey for me (looking at £60).

So far I've found these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-presa- ... er-gloves/

Which seem to just be double suede on the points of major wear so shouldn't be too soft. Pretty much everything else I've looked at has some sort of pad insert.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
In the past I've worn leather golf gloves for both road and track riding - I buy them at golf discount stores for around $5 per gloves. I buy light colored ones to reflect the sun. Of course no protection the cold. Looking for new ones at present.

Re:

avanti said:
In the past I've worn leather golf gloves for both road and track riding - I buy them at golf discount stores for around $5 per gloves. I buy light colored ones to reflect the sun. Of course no protection the cold. Looking for new ones at present.

How well do they fit? I'm not looking for something completely aero or anything but if they move around a lot they're guaranteed to annoy me...

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
avanti said:

How well do they fit? I'm not looking for something completely aero or anything but if they move around a lot they're guaranteed to annoy me...

Perhaps "snug" is the best way to describe them and thin - they are a little stretchy so the fit fine and give good grip on the bars. Just visit a golf shop and try them on.

This winter I wore a pair of Castelli lightness gloves in 40 degree F weather that were a snug fit and probably very aero. Full glove with no padding. Windproof and maybe water resistant. http://www.castelli-cycling.com/Product ... 451052914A

Update: I misread the OP that he wanted fingerless gloves - those I mentioned have fingers. Although I sometimes wear fingered gloves in the summer to minimize sunburn.

I ended up with some of these as they were on sale in a local shop:

product_view.jpg

They have a very, very small amount of padding on the palm but I think I should be fine with that. I tried them in the shop and didn't notice it.

Thanks for the advice guys, if these don't do the job I'll update with what I try next.

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Don't ignore the importance of crash protection.

I'm sitting here with a broken femur, and won't be back on my bike until some time in 2016. But I was able to lie in the road and cradle my broken leg in my hands precisely because of my Pearl Izumi PRO gloves (which seem to be getting harder to track down). As well as hitting the tarmacwith my leg, my hand had gone down on the road too. I remember looking at my left hand, and seeing a strip of glove around my wrist, bits around each finger and thumb, and in the middle a big, 4" diameter hole where the palm of the glove had been. Yet MY palm was completely unhurt - not even a scratch. Without those gloves, my palm would have been a bloody, painful mess.

And this isn't a one-off. I came off the bike a couple of years ago, and had a similar tale - palm of the glove damaged, my palm undamaged.

Best bit of gear I own. And I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a suitable alternative when I can no longer find the PROs in stock anywhere.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I prefer full fingered gloves ...For the summer I buy these cheapo £2 a pair gloves from ebay,they are mesh like and hands do not warm up at all.
I have warmer pairs for the cold weather ,some Castelli copies from Thailand £5 posted [ had them for over a year] and they are brilliant and another generic pair that I picked up for a £5 which I have had for 3 years and are still in good shape. In between I have gone through countless
pairs of gloves six six ones's and like , that are expensive and seem to last a few weeks at best.

Re:

ray j willings said:
I prefer full fingered gloves ...For the summer I buy these cheapo £2 a pair gloves from ebay,they are mesh like and hands do not warm up at all.
I have warmer pairs for the cold weather ,some Castelli copies from Thailand £5 posted [ had them for over a year] and they are brilliant and another generic pair that I picked up for a £5 which I have had for 3 years and are still in good shape. In between I have gone through countless
pairs of gloves six six ones's and like , that are expensive and seem to last a few weeks at best.

seriously
wtf are you doing to those gloves if they're only lasting you a few weeks
at best

summer = no gloves
autumn / spring = castelli cycling gloves same pair still going strong after 2 years
winter = ski glove liners like these http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/accessories/gloves/polypro-gloves-black.html

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
ray j willings said:

seriously
wtf are you doing to those gloves if they're only lasting you a few weeks
at best

summer = no gloves
autumn / spring = castelli cycling gloves same pair still going strong after 2 years
winter = ski glove liners like these http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/accessories/gloves/polypro-gloves-black.html

Its only those expensive summer ones, they seem to get holes at the finger tips. I have no idea why. I don't bite my nails but they are not that long [Im not a werewolf] ...The cheap ones I now get £2 last longer but don't look as nice.

I have to use gloves all year round, except for light recovery riding as I have very salty sweat that chews through tape and bars. I like to use the Tuff range with the Kevlar palm. I've come off doing 50kmh+ in a crit and they barely scuffed.