• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Firenze 2013

Yes the next worlds are in Limburg, on very familiar terrain, but knowing the hills around Florence, the 2013 course will HAVE to be one of the best ever. Are there any pointers to the actual route? Surely they'll do the Fiesole hill?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
delgado said:
Yes the next worlds are in Limburg, on very familiar terrain, but knowing the hills around Florence, the 2013 course will HAVE to be one of the best ever. Are there any pointers to the actual route? Surely they'll do the Fiesole hill?

The organizer website is rather poor. http://www.firenze2013.it/

It appears they will start in Lucca, hit some climbs on the way to Florence. Then 10 time this circuit
http://www.bikemap.net/route/887675#lat=43.7789&lng=11.27802&zoom=15&type=2

Should be a hard course.

ok thanks there's a semi-poetic recital of the prospective course on that website, I'll match that to the maps. I don't see Fiesole mentioned explicitly, that worries me because that loop would be on par with the Sallanches circuit. Copenhagen can you tell we're starved for hills.

*edit* Fiesole it is, didn't click your second link right away. I'm nothing but happy now.

Theres 3 miles from the last climb to the finish.

If Valverde is allowed to ride this could be good for him. I dont think any of the riders faster than him in a sprint will make it over the hills in a lead group. Maybe Sagan or EBH.

Also on recent sprinting form, Cancellara. He could go on the weak descent and tt for 5km.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
As I understand it there will be 2 solid climbs on the way into town from Lucca, then 10 laps at 1040 feet per lap. That climb to Fiesole has some steep sections and it could be a 12,000 foot day. I would assume they will repave the road but that road down the backside from Fiesole sucks.

Pure sprinters will have a hard day.

A

Anonymous

delgado said:
obviously anybody but an italian would be a national tragedy. The course does look suitable to a two prone strategy for them (Nibali and Visconti, maybe)

It will be an italian hehe and the race will be amazing.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
1. Gilbert
2. Vanendert
3. Greg van Avermaet

Gilbert and Vanendert will break away from a lead group of 10 riders taking gold and silver. Greg will win the sprint for third of the chasing group.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Theres 3 miles from the last climb to the finish.

If Valverde is allowed to ride this could be good for him. I dont think any of the riders faster than him in a sprint will make it over the hills in a lead group. Maybe Sagan or EBH.

Also on recent sprinting form, Cancellara. He could go on the weak descent and tt for 5km.

Agreed it might be his year. He has said he wants to win the WC RR before he retires. If he can get away on the descent....:D