• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First Album You Bought

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
What's the first album you bought? Provide the artist and title of the album. Give some details as to why you bought it.
I'm curious about people's first music purchase.

Mine was Moving Pictures by Rush. The line from "Tom Sawyer", A modern day warrior, mean, mean stride, today's Tom Sawyer mean, mean pride just sounded so awesome. And the drum solo after the guitar solo is the best part of the song. The front and back cover, which is a triple entendre, made sense to me. This was back in 1981 when I learned about Geddy, Neil, and Alex. I appreciated the brilliant lyrics, musicianship, and well crafted rock songs on this album. This is what I look for in music.

I think it was "black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath. I spent most of my youth listening to my parents old vinyl and didn't buy a huge number of tapes and CDs, but they only had one Black Sabbath album and when they started re-issuing them I bought most of them.

As with King Boonen, I spent my youth listening to my dad's collection of CDs. I don't remember the first record I bought myself, but I remember I got The White Album by The Beatles for Christmas very early. That might have been the first one I 'acquired' for myself. My dad only had the albums from Please Please Me until Revolver, and I was very curious about the rest. I was maybe a bit too young to 'get' everything on The White Album, but when I got Sgt. Pepper's a year or two later, I had the closest thing to a religious awakening that I've ever had.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
220px-Elvis_Presley_LPM-1254_Album_Cover.jpg

Technically I didn't buy it as I was 6 years old but it was bought for me by my parents. On my own it would have been The New Christy Minsterals "Today" or Dic k Dale and the Deltones "Surfers Choice" It's been 50 years hard to remember what, much less when. :)

I'm pretty sure the first record I bought myself was Culture Club's Kissing To Be Clever, or maybe it was Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, I can't quite remember. Both I bought in the early 80s, and both records I still have.

First stuff I listened to as a wee little child was a potpourri of my parents' records back in the 70s (they just hated it when I scratched them), it included anywhere from Janis Joplin to Edith Piaf, from Jimi Hendrix to The Hollies, from James Last to Abba, etc., etc.

And then there was my brother's influence during our teens, he listened to stuff like Rush, Judas Priest, Van Halen... all of the aforementioned bands and musicians I still like and still listen to. Well, except for maybe Edith Piaf, that was just a phase I went through when I was about 5.

The first album I bought was Rare Earth "In Concert". They were a local band on the Motown label whose music sometimes was referred to as "blue eyed soul", as they were a primarily white band playing a mix of soul and rock with a couple of popular remakes of Temptations songs. The album cover packaging/design was a draw too. It had the image of an old dingy brown canvas backpack which opened in the same way a backpack would. I guess me and my older brother (we went in on it together) thought it was a pretty cool looking design at the time. Ended up being a pretty good album if recall correctly. I can actually remember riding our bikes up to this record shop which was about a mile from home on 7 Mile (Detroit). I'm pretty sure we wore a hole in that album because we played it to death!

When I first could afford buying albums, we already were in a "burning CD" era, and then quickly in a download era. Of course, my parents bought me several albums but that does not count. So the first album I bought myself on a compact disc is John Fogerty's Revival and then I started buying a few LP's, first one a live album by Stephen Stills (that I never even played!) and then my first studio album Genesis - A Trick of the Tail :

14565028_381322275588575_8748021179840724992_n.jpg
b58ba2a68a5f440f6ac576a5e9e05996.jpg

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
KISS Destroyer. Neighbour mate of mine had it and we listened to it endlessly. With hindsight, should have saved my money and just listened to his. Probably 8 or 9 years old.

I still remember getting grounded when I came home with Nevermind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols. Dad was very unimpressed!

Easy Peasy the first Beatles album released in the US. Introducing... The Beatles released in Jan 1964, I was 13 and IN Love with Paul! I bought every single one of their albums on the release date and still have the entire collection. It's probably worth a few bucks now.

Cassette:
1xmWJi1xO4PlsigxwPkhCg-smallw.jpg

That's 1/3 in one go, actually, but that's the one I'm copping to. As I bought my first walkman.

CD:
GunsnRosesAppetiteforDestructionalbumcover.jpg

Shortly after buying my first discman (we were a Sony household, Betamax and everything :) ), on a school trip. Just saw it on sale at Tower Records and said to myself "I need to own this one".

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The first one was a live album:
61fQd-4K8PL.jpg

Bought it as a kid because I thought that the band was just badass and it was pretty cheap to get because of a sale, only 5 bucks or something like that.
The first real studio album, I can't remember that, maybe the first Danzig album or a classic Kiss album, my cousin showed me these 2 bands and I loved them.

Rust Never Sleeps, or maybe Live Rust. Can't quite remember. Anyhoo, Neil Young and Crazy Horse. The reason, saw a video of Hey Hey My My and it blew me away aged 15. Interesting times in the common room at High School with the Mods/Heav Metal boys/New Romantics and me fighting my (very) wee corner:)

TRENDING THREADS