• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First Chinese doing a Grand Tour - will there be more ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
Is it? I'm not so sure. Especially for a country like China where Olympic medals seem to be valued a lot, track cycling is way more attractive. It's much easier to control and predict and there are more medals at stake. A Tour contender might be a side effect, but I can't see them focusing on it for the time being.

Their biggest sporting star of the last decade was probably Yao Ming, the basketball player, though. I agree that the Olympic are very important, but they aren't the be all and end all for the Chinese.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
the asian said:
This.

Agree with your observations. Cycling may be seen as a symbol of the past.
Also, the young Chinese will chase the money and becoming a Pro Cyclist will probably depend on the money it offers. The Chinese tend to follow the Americans more than Europe, and glamour, big money sports like Golf, Tennis & Basketball are the fastest growing sports there. Can't imagine too many Chinese kids turning in to Pro Cycling in the near future.
Furthermore, the Chinese women are more dominant internationally than there male counterparts and usually, It's them who bring success first.
The lack of serious money in Womens' pro Cycling might be a hindering factor.

Definitely, They'll chase the medals. They have concentrated on high medal sports like Swimming, Fencing, Weightlifting with great success, and they'll definitely target Track Cycling, Esp the women
When or Whether they'll turn in to Road cycling will depend on how much importance and national pride they'll attach to it.
Perhaps after winning the Medal tally at the Olympics and after Chinese win multiple majors in Tennis and Golf, and a lack of success in the Tour is a blot in their nation's pride.

Track cycling offer many more medals than road, and they are fully concentrated in getting guys/girls ready for medals.
So we won't see much in the nearest future beside Champion System being a good starting point.

Nowdays the strongest chinese road cyclist is probably still Kam Po Wong and this says it all.

snackattack

BANNED
Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
hmmm

JI.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Chinese becoming a cycling country is all good and well, but can anybody explain to me why this guy is actually riding a GT though?

Look at his results
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=4970&year=0&all=1&current=0

It seems like he's struggling to even finish races in Europe, why is he riding the Vuelta?!

China has been a cycling country way before this one year, ok not racing in the Pro Tour but I think they know what a bike is.

Why la Vuelta, marketing, marketing and well marketing. Look you are even talking about this guy who has pretty bad results, win it4i and Cheng Ji.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
LugHugger said:
There are thousands of young Chinese millionaires in South China. They consume the best of Western culture. Be it wine, cars, fashion or bikes, the money is there and they want their country to be the best at everything . Do not underestimate their drive to succeed. They will spend the money as the WT race demonstrates.

LOL drive and money are not everything, Chinese invest tons of money in the soccer and have plenty ambition want to succeed in soccer, but in the end up to today their men's soccer team still sucks big time!!!!!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
put sun yang on a bike and you'll have your tour winner :D

seriously i definitely see a chinese winning le tour in the next 10 years if they care....china is so big,they definitely can find one of those natural gifted athletes

haha it is possible:D
since all their top athletes are already trained by Australian swimming coach:p

maxmartin said:
LOL drive and money are not everything, Chinese invest tons of money in the soccer and have plenty ambition want to succeed in soccer, but in the end up to today their men's soccer team still sucks big time!!!!!

The Chinese have a far better chance of succeeding in Cycling than in Football.
They do have good endurance.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Yep but they've been spending their millions on foreigners and bribes. That's not what we're talking about is it? I'm not doing a Brailsford and predicting a winner in 5 years but expect to see loads of Chinese cyclists in pro teams in 5 years time.

TRENDING THREADS