• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First Cycling - 2019

Hi all,

As I frequent this forum I know that this is probably the most knowledgable bunch anywhere on the web.Which is exactly why the manager competition at First Cycling should excite you.

Just like trying to dissect cycling tactics it ranges from the simplistic - pick the eight riders you think will finish highest in Paris - Roubaix - to the hardcore, pick the eight riders you think will score the highest amount of stage and GC-points in Ronde de l'Isard.

The season obviously kicks off with Tour Down Under from Tuesday onwards, Uno-X team jersey up for grabs:
First-Cycling_1000px_blue.jpg

We have a wide selection of races available for both the female and male peloton.

And I managed to finish second in Marseillaise even though we were only two to pick Turgis, massive annoyance... It's all coming thick and fast with the season starting to get into gear now with competitions for Colombia, Murcia, Oman, Laigueglia and Almeria this week.

We're also launching a new format: a budget manager where you pick 20 riders and can make 6 changes at the start of each month. Will be a balancing act with classics men and Tirreno/P-N-contenders in March morphing into more Ardennes/Catalunya/Pais Vasco-centric April, Giro-heavy May etc. Entries to be submitted by Het Volk!

Re:

I'm having a slow start as usual but once again aiming for that 2nd place in the final overall ranking since the leader(Ruvu) has been unbeatable for the past four years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon :cool: But who knows maybe it's you DNP-Old who challenges for the title this season! Glad to see we've managed to gain more players too

btw Squire, are you Norwegian? :surprised:

Re: Re:

LosBrolin said:
I'm having a slow start as usual but once again aiming for that 2nd place in the final overall ranking since the leader(Ruvu) has been unbeatable for the past four years now and I don't see it changing anytime soon :cool:

I love the smell of pressure in the morning :)

Squire said:
LosBrolin said:
btw Squire, are you Norwegian? :surprised:
Yes, why?

Otherwise I probably wouldn't have included Eiking in my CQ team for two years straight. :lol:

Haha, I just automatically thought you're Dutch/UK or some similar common nationality on this forum :p and cmon, this is originally Norwegian game and I haven't seen you here before this season :D

Jokes aside, I seem to be one of the five managers who got Dani Martinez captain at Colombia Tour, this can't end up well..

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
How are season points calculated? I can't see any explanation, and it does not seem obvious as to how race scores relate to them.

The winner of a grand tour game gets 1000 points for the season competition, a normal stage race is worth 300, a normal one-day race is worth 200, while most youth races are worth 100.

Let's say there are 200 managers for a given race and you finish in 100th place. You scored 1000 pts while the winner had 1500 pts. Your placement percentage is then 50 % while your points percentage is 66.67 %. The average of 0.5 and 0.6667 is 0.58335. This number is multiplied by itself, which gives 0.34. So for a normal stage race this would mean that you get 34 % of 300 for the season competition, which is 102 points.

LosBrolin said:
Armchair cyclist said:
How are season points calculated? I can't see any explanation, and it does not seem obvious as to how race scores relate to them.

The winner of a grand tour game gets 1000 points for the season competition, a normal stage race is worth 300, a normal one-day race is worth 200, while most youth races are worth 100.

Let's say there are 200 managers for a given race and you finish in 100th place. You scored 1000 pts while the winner had 1500 pts. Your placement percentage is then 50 % while your points percentage is 66.67 %. The average of 0.5 and 0.6667 is 0.58335. This number is multiplied by itself, which gives 0.34. So for a normal stage race this would mean that you get 34 % of 300 for the season competition, which is 102 points.

Thank you.

Wow.

So g((1+s/w-p/e)/2)2 Hmmm, how did I fail to spot that?

Is this a standard formula I have never come across before, or invented by the site?

I agree that it's idiosyncratic, thus should be readily available on the site. As with most of the features, like the season fantasy, ELO/duel system, team competition - it originates from the user/admin base having an idea we put into life given our "For the fans, by the fans"-mantra.

TRENDING THREADS