• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First EPO users in the peloton?

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

sniper said:
you have to mention 1990
you have to mention 1989 too, as we have an explicit confession from Jakobs for that year and an implicit one from Hermans (Lantern Rouge that year although he did win a stage).
Just saying, if we're strictly looking for 'first EPO users', exceptional performances are not a necessary criterion.

Chiapucci making a big leap in the late 89 italian races
Comparable to Lemond's leap in 89?
Bigger? Smaller? Honest question.

lemond didn't make a leap...he returned to a level below where he was 3 years earlier (and where he had continuously been for the 4 years before that).

Chiapucci made a leap

honest answer ;)

Re:

sniper said:
you have to mention 1990
you have to mention 1989 too, as we have an explicit confession from Jakobs for that year and an implicit one from Hermans (Lantern Rouge that year although he did win a stage).
Just saying, if we're strictly looking for 'first EPO users', exceptional performances are not a necessary criterion.

or for a football and Wiggins analogy....

Lemond in 89 would be like ManU winning the champions league

Chiapucci was like Wigan winning it

hope that helps clear it up ;)

I think sniper is referring to LeMond (get the spelling right for once sniper, please) and his in season recovery as a "leap" in performance. Whereas Chiapucci went from being a relative nobody to giant killer in a " leap". The two are indeed totally incomparable as types of leaps in performance. It is okay they have question marks with the in-season recovery of LeMond in '89 and this has been covered at length in the now (still) defunct LeMond-thread. I personally would greatly appreciate it we didn't rehash that entire discussion heren. Suffices to say that comparing LeMond"s leap to Chiapucci's leap is like comparing apples to ranges, both are fruit but nobody would claim they taste the same. Honest answer.

Re:

GJB123 said:
I think sniper is referring to LeMond (get the spelling right for once sniper, please) and his in season recovery as a "leap" in performance. Whereas Chiapucci went from being a relative nobody to giant killer in a " leap". The two are indeed totally incomparable as types of leaps in performance. It is okay they have question marks with the in-season recovery of LeMond in '89 and this has been covered at length in the now (still) defunct LeMond-thread. I personally would greatly appreciate it we didn't rehash that entire discussion heren. Suffices to say that comparing LeMond"s leap to Chiapucci's leap is like comparing apples to ranges, both are fruit but nobody would claim they taste the same. Honest answer.

he is...GT winner turns into GT winner shock :)

Re:

sniper said:
you have to mention 1990

You misunderstand. My point was that 1990 is, IMO, when the changes in hindsight become blatantly obvious. Yet the article is selling 1991 as the year everything changed.

sniper said:

I find that impossible to quantify.

TRENDING THREADS