• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First person to beat Fabian Cancellara...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Parrot23 said:
Didn't Schumacher beat him at a final Tour TT in '08 (in fact, in both TTs)?

Schumacher initially won both TTs that year (there were only 2). The Canc inherited the victory in the longer of the two after Schumi was busted, but I think in the first TT he still finished behind Kirchen and Millar, i think, at least, and maybe one or two more.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
after the scandal accusing Cancellara of cheating,does anyone know why Cancellaras performance has suddenly deteriorated?He either did not ride,abandoned or did not perform well.

reyan12 said:
after the scandal accusing Cancellara of cheating,does anyone know why Cancellaras performance has suddenly deteriorated?He either did not ride,abandoned or did not perform well.

his targets were the cobbled classics. So he did well there. TOC was not a target and i dont think TDS was either even though he was defending champ. Its like saying that Contador lost the Dauphine because he was put off by doping talk. No. Contador wants to peak for the Tour. Cancellara peaked for the cobbled. i think he will do better in the tour tts and probably peak again for the worlds.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
reyan12 said:

It is a matter of his timing his peaks. 2008 he won Olympics at end of year looked unstoppable then was nowhere through the early 2009 until he came good at the Tour De Suisse and carried into the first week of the TDF. He then had another slow patch until the worlds and came out super quick again. This year he peaked in the classics now having a slower patch before the tour. He will come out win the prologue with ease but flag going for the last TT as it wont suit him. He will then build again another title at the worlds

cyclingmad said:
He will come out win the prologue with ease but flag going for the last TT as it wont suit him. He will then build again another title at the worlds

I dont know. Tony Martin is looking really good for that too. Cancellara obviously wont be on top form while Martin will be close to it so well see if a sub par Canc can beat a strong Martin.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont know. Tony Martin is looking really good for that too. Cancellara obviously wont be on top form while Martin will be close to it so well see if a sub par Canc can beat a strong Martin.

I dont think Cancellera is sub par he is racing like Andy Schleck and picking when he puts the effort in. In the Tour De Suisse he had no problems beating Martin in the prologue but couldn't do it in the later TT. Tour De France will be the same big performance to win the prologue work for the Schlecks somewhere between 5th and 10th in the last TT then go away to prepare for a longer TT at the worlds.